“Great hotel, great location, expensive amenities” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #19 of 329 Hotels in Budapest
Naples, Italy
“Great hotel, great location, expensive amenities”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

The hotel itself was great. The staff was wonderful and very helpful! The location couldn't be beat! Our room was amazing, right on the water, overlooking the Chain Bridge. The rooms were modern, spacious and well decorated.

That said, I just wish that they didn't nickel and dime you for all of the amenities. Internet was something like 20 Euro a day! Ridiculous! I'd rather that they made our room more expensive and have that be free. Especially when traveling, internet access is so important. It just disappointed me.

Aside from that, I would have given them 5 stars, But maybe you don't mind paying for internet.

Room Tip: Get a room on the water. They are totally worth it!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
ClausGeisselmann, General Manager at InterContinental Budapest, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear LynnieLou619,
Thank you very much for your review.
It makes me glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.
As for your remarks on internet charges please be informed that InterContinental Hotels Group is evaluating this service at the moment and we hope to come to a beneficial solution soon.
Claus Geisselmann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (580)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights in Dec and it exceeded our expectations. It was prime location in the middle of the centre and right on the river. It was a short walk to the christmas market, shops, bars and restaurants. It was also a short walk over to the other side of the river which was home to budda castle. The breakfast was fantastic so much to choose from and well worth the money.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear jomofo,
Thank you very much for your review.
I am glad that you had a great stay with us.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel InterContiental during our first visit to Budapest. The hotel was located riverside of the Danube River. The view of the historical bridges, Buda Castle, and Danube river from this location was just breathtaking. Many restaurants and shops were waking distance from this hotel. The staff was excellent & kindly assisted us with dinner recommendations, dinner/show reservations. The staff was very helpful and cordial. The rooms were quite large, clean, and comfortable. It was very nice to return to a comfortable and clean hotel after our busy days in this magical city. P.S. they have WiFi!

Room Tip: Request a room facing the river.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear gabrielarg77,
Thank you very much for your review.
It makes me extremely happy that you chose our hotel during your first stay in Budapest.
Also thank you very much for complimenting on the friendliness of our staff.
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Budapest is a beautiful city and well worth a visit at any time of the year. We visited the Christmas Markets and stayed at the 5 Star Intercontinental which overlooks the River Danube in the heart of the city. It is a fantastic hotel with very attentive, friendly staff where nothing is too much trouble. The rooms are spacious, comfortable and well equipped and ours overlooked the Danube and the castle area on the opposite embankment. It was a view to die for especially at night with the Chain Bridge and historic buildings lit up. Everywhere worth visiting in the city is well within walking distance of the hotel, including reasonably priced restaurants. Breakfast was sumptuous with a vast choice of hot and cold food and the overall package was unbelievable value. This will inevitably change as the city continues to develop in the future as a tourist 'must visit' destination......and we will definately visit again and stay at the Intercontinental Hotel.

Room Tip: Try to secure a river view room even if it costs a little more.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear jspencer1,
Thank you very much for your review.
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay so much and that you wish to return to us.
Our hotel rooms overlooking the Chain Bridge and Royal Castle have definitely one of the most beautiful views in Budapest.
We look forward to welcoming you back.
With best regards,
Glen Ellen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We stayed here at the start of a Danube River cruise. We loved the view from our window across the Danube. The breakfast buffet was vast and the food excellent. We had two dinners here (one on the patio/terrace) and both were very good. I booked a hair appointment in the hotel and had excellent service. I did not speak Hungarian but we managed to communicate just fine. I would recommend this hotel for any traveler.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
ClausGeisselmann, General Manager at InterContinental Budapest, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear corkiek,
Thank you very much for your review.
I am glad that you had a great stay with us and that you were pleased with our services.
I hope you enjoyed the Danube River cruise, too.
Newcastle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I'm only not giving 5 because I've never been to a 5* hotel before so can't compare it!

The rooms were comfortable with the usual tea and coffee and mini bar. There was nothing particularly stunning about the room itself that set it aside from 4* hotels. This included the content and the size. I was slightly disappointed with the bathroom which was a bit small and not particularly 5*.

The view on the other hand, was amazing. Absolutely worth paying the extra.

The service was fantastic, really helpful staff with brilliant English. My room was ready 5 hours before check in time and they were more than happy to allow me in. The choice of pillows was also excellent!

Breakfast was fantastic, with Hungarian pastries, a typical continental selection of meats, cheese and bread, an English style cooked breakfast selection, cereals and a Japanese selection including roast salmon.

The spa was lovely, perfectly clean and amazing facilities. The pool was a bit on the small side but hey, I wasn't expecting an olympic sized one! The staff here were particularly helpful.

The only downside was the charge for the internet. I know there is a charge for wifi (which I believe they are reviewing) but my only wifi device was broken. I therefore opted to buy an internet card to use at one of the 3 computers by the lobby. I think around 8 euros for half an hour is extortionate and totally unnecessary. The hotel wont lose any money for providing free internet points. I believe my hotel>>>airport shuttle was actually the same price or slightly cheaper!

Overall a great place with great staff and a great location. I hope to be back.

Room Tip: Get the river view!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
ClausGeisselmann, General Manager at InterContinental Budapest, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear Hanif87,
Thank you very much for your review.
I am sure that other travellers will appreciate your detailed description of different services, aspects of the hotel.
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.
As for the free internet please be informed that InterContinental Hotels Group is evaluating this issue at the moment and we hope that we can come to a beneficial solution soon.
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

The InterContinental Budapest right nearby the Chain Bridge in the fifth district of Budapest ist one of the best hotels in town. The service staff do a gread job, the rooms are good and the size of the bathrooms are ok. If you like it, book the Club Intercontinental - one of the best lounges/clubs in hotels I have seen until today.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Reiseprofi_Wien,
Thank you very much for your review.
It makes me happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Also thank you for recommending our Club Lounge as one of the bests in hotels you have seen.
With best regards,
Claus Geisselmann

Been to InterContinental Budapest? Share your experiences!