I enjoyed a long weekend here on my first trip to Budapest, which is a very walkable city, and found the location perfect. Easy to find, at the junction of perhaps the three main areas a tourist would visit: Andrassy Way, Vaci Utca and Chain Bridge, as well as a host of shops, restaurants etc.
The decor is spacious, modern and clean, and as a Platinum Accor member I got upgraded to a junior suite and paid just £70 per night, so on value it couldn't score higher!
Not sure what a standard room is like, but the junior suite has dining table/desk, sofa & chair in living area with tv, plus bedroom area with another tv, Bose amp & sub-woofer as well (Kudos to Sofitel, hope my neighbours didn't mind), Nespresso coffee maker (need more capsules though!), Hermes toiletries, nice little touches like shoe bag, suit carries, umbrella etc. all provided. The safe includes power adapter (albeit a little fiddly) so you can safely charge your laptop or phone while out of the room.
There's a great breakfast buffet, continental or cooked breakfast, pancakes, bucks fizz, even Christmas chocolate cake. Couldn't fault the food, you could easily eat up and skip lunch. Staff did seem a little eager to start clearing just before the end of breakfast service, which is understandable but seems more 4* than 5*.
The Paris Bucharest restaurant also has a simple stylish menu with great quality, good drinks selection and a fantastic view of the Danube, Chain Bridge, etc.. Staff were friendly but perhaps just a little more proactivity in taking orders etc. would be good - when enjoying a welcome drink after arriving I had to wait several minutes while a number of staff noticed me before one came over to take my order.
Spa/gym is nice and modern, top of the range gym equipment but only one treadmill could be frustrating when the hotel is busy.
Check-out was a bit frustrating, I had a late (4pm) checkout (initially quoted €50 until I pointed out my Platinum status) but when going back to my room my key didn't work. The person who answered the house phone refused to send someone to open it (saying, bizarrely, that is "not possible") and when I got another key from reception, it still didn't work. Lo and behold, house phone now DID find it possible to send someone up, and eventually I could check out after queueing up again (why no priority desk for Platinum guests?). Taxi service to the airport is good with Mercedes saloon car at 7500 HUF fixed price (more than a standard taxi).
It's a great quality hotel, brilliant value and perfect location. But the service didn't make me feel like a valued Platinum member, and if management can work on this - don't keep guests waiting and remember the customer is always right - then it would be a true 5-star hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sofitel Budapest blends comfort and elegance with modern technology and French flair. This comfortable high-class hotel offers breathtaking views of the Chain Bridge and Royal Castle. The Paris Budapest Cafe restaurant at this luxury hotel fuses French and Hungarian cuisine, prepared in a show kitchen for all to see. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, HotelTravel.com, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Agoda, Odigeo, ACCOR and Venere so you can book your Sofitel Budapest Chain Bridge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel Budapest Chain Bridge Hotel Budapest
- Accor Budapest Chain Bridge
- Hyatt Budapest
- Budapest Sofitel