“Great location! Not so happy with the hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Budapest Chain Bridge

You added Sofitel Budapest Chain Bridge to your Saves list
Sofitel Budapest Chain Bridge
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Szechenyi Istvan Ter 2, Budapest 1051, Hungary (District V / Inner City)   |
Special Offer
Magnifique Breakfast
Ranked #23 of 333 Hotels in Budapest
Cyprus
“Great location! Not so happy with the hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

We stayed in Sofitel Budapest end of April 2012 with a group of 9 people. At first we had a long email conversation to ask them if they could change the dates we booked with hotels.com since Malev airlines went bankrupted and they were very understanding which was really polite of them since the rate we booked was non-refundable.
When we finally arrived though the reception guy was nothing but welcoming and certainly not a face you would like to begin your vacations with and he said that our rooms were not ready (at 15:00!!!). When I asked why he told me that they have flexible check out time! And I ask you: Did you ever hear a hotel having flexible check out time at the time they are expecting arrivals??? I never did, and especially from a five star hotel. At check out time they announce that you have to pay a little amount of 8 euro I think as city tax (which was no problem), which was another think I didn't hear before in all the countries I visited. (or maybe it was included in the price and didn't know it)-Anyhow, it would be good to know in the beginning.

The location of the hotel is fantastic with the most perfect view of the Chain Bridge!
The rooms were lovely but have in mind that if you book a triple room, the third bed will be the unfolded sofa which is not comfortable. Also note that there is a 24 hour grocery shop just behind the hotel if you need anything. If you like water without gas or taste, always choose the bottles with the pink cap because there are water that say still mineral water but they have an awful taste.

In general we had a really nice time in Budapest and I would recommend Sofitel to other travellers especially for the location!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Philippe_Godard, General Manager at Sofitel Budapest Chain Bridge, responded to this review, May 8, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments about your stay with us. We are very sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations, especially the welcome and check-in procedure; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Yours sincerely,
Philippe Godard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (715)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Falkirk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

We booked the Sofitel as part of a package with a budget airline. While the airline left something to be desired the Sofitel got almost everything right. We had arranged an upgrade at a modest increase to a luxury room with view to the front looking across the Chain Bridge over the Danube to the fabulous skyline. The view was wonderful. The room itself was of a good size with efficient, simple-to-operate air-conditioning, effective double-glazing and free wi-fi. The decor was rather bland and was beginning to show some signs of needing a refresh though the furniture was tasteful and the bed very comfortable. The location is really excellent with the Chain Bridge almost outside the front entrance and tourist buses, river cruise boats etc all very close. Staff were almost without exception very friendly and helpful, especially Agnes in the bar area and Attila who supervised the buffet-style breakfast. The breakfast was one of the better buffets we have encountered but if it is not included in the rate there are many cafes, street vendors and small shops selling snacks within easy reach. We had amazing weather over the 5 days we stayed - 30 to 35C so we missed out on the spa, but next time .... In summary, the Sofitel offers a great deal for anyone wanting to enjoy this lovel city.

Room Tip: We would always enquire about a room to the front with a view over the river - it is great fun to w...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

This hotel is ideally located within walking distance of almost anywhere in the city and a short stroll over the Chain Bridge will take you to the Buda side of the river and all of the beautiful old buildings and the markets.
The hotel staff where helpful and attentive, if cigerettes bother you be sure to request a non smoking floor.
The bed was one of the best we have slept in on this trip. The wifi is slow and prone to drop outs, however it was free.
We will define fly stay here again

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

The hotel stay was a wedding anniversary surprise from my husband.A bottle of champagne and a hand written card welcomed us to the room. Our lovely guest relation manager escorted us to the room and even asked our choice of teas and coffee. The hotel provides a lovely, welcoming and relaxed atmosphere. The rooms are not massive or very luxurious but very comfortable ans impeccably clean. We upgraded our room to a river view one by paying 29 euros and we are so glad we did that.The river facing rooms provide the best view of the Chains bridge with Buda city landmarks in the background. The breakfast buffet is another highlight with a massive spread including breads, cereals, juices(the best fresh peach juice I've had),cold and hot meat,cheese and loads more and a live omelette station.
In addition the location of the hotel is so convenient we could just walk to most tourist places. This saved us precious time of transfers on our rather short trip of 3days.
All in all a wonderful and memorable stay in a very beautiful city.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights with my husband & grandaughter. I booked a superior room and ended up with a junior suite. I'm not sure if this is classed as a superior? When we arrived here and got into our room, I found that the bedding for the sofa bed consisted of a pillow and one blanket. On our way out to dinner I reported this to reception and asked if they would put some bedding in the room. They did this......1 sheet & the blanket was put in a duvet cover! I rang housekeeping and asked them for a duvet. Within minutes they brought the duvet and re made the bed, they also brought some extra towels. The room was very clean & facilities were good, including shower cubicle and bath, hairdryer and cosmetics. The kitchen had an espresso coffee maker as well as the normal tea & coffee making facilities. It also had a fridge and a two ring electric hob and extractor fan and plenty of cupboard space. The room was made up every day we were there. There was two televisions and a mini bar, table/desk & chairs and a sofa bed as well as a double bed. Wardrobe, drawers, mini safe, slippers, dressing gown were also supplied. Theer was also an iron and ironing board in the wardrobe. The hotel is situated just across the road from the Danube and a very short walk to shops, bars & restaurants. I would certainly recommend this hotel. If I had to complain about anything, it would be the noise between 8 & 8.15am each morning. I am not sure what it was, but it was like a "clunking" noise. The staff were more than helpful, pleasant & polite. On the whole we had a pleasant stay at the Sofitel.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 146 on the 1st floor and it was more than adequate for our needs. The room overloo...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

I used to stay at this hotel some years ago when it was a Hyatt, and I have also stayed recently at the Meridien and the Kempinski nearby, so it’s good to compare them all. When this hotel was a Hyatt, it was my favourite business hotel, with staff that were exceptional. Now it’s a Sofitel the staff don’t reach those heights, but it’s a comfortable five-star hotel, although it’s in a very busy area traffic-wise.
The location is good – across the road from the Danube, with some rooms having a river view, two minutes’ walk from the main square in the city centre – Vorosmarty – and also the pedestrianized designer shopping street – Vaci Utca – and about five minutes from Ferenc Deak Ter Metro station, where all three of Budapest’s lines intersect. But I would say that the locations of the Meridien and Kempinski hotels are better if you want to use the Metro, although they are further from the Danube. They are also quieter, with many rooms overlooking a traffic-free street.
The rooms at the Sofitel are of a reasonable size for a five-star hotel, with air con, free Wi-Fi, flat-screen TV (with Sky News, much better than BBC World) and tea/coffee making facilities (although no black tea, like the English drink). However, the bathrooms are small (certainly mine was), with a combined bath/shower, unlike the other two hotels, which have separate shower units. The bathroom had a hairdryer, toiletries (although in difficult-to-get-into bottles) and tissues, and the towels and robe provided were of good quality. But the bathrooms were definitely worthy only of a four-star hotel, mainly because of their size.
One difference I noticed at the Sofitel was at breakfast, on the mezzanine floor. Although the environment was quite pleasant, I expect to be shown to a free table in a five-star hotel, and this didn’t happen on any of the mornings I was there. Not a problem when the hotel was empty, but a bit more of a problem on my last morning. The selection of fruit at the Sofitel didn’t compare with the other hotels either, and the cooking station was smaller, with less choice. I would say breakfast was somewhere between a four and five star rating.
My main gripe with the Sofitel is that you seem to get traffic noise wherever you are in the hotel. Even though my room faced a quiet street, I had the sound of the dustcarts at four o’clock in the morning, and there were several other examples of heavy traffic during the night. Noise must be even more of a problem if your room faces the front of the hotel, where there is a constant stream of heavy traffic.
Back to the staff – mostly very pleasant, courteous and efficient. Reception staff were very efficient without being overfriendly, the bar staff were friendly without being overly efficient, and most greeted you with a friendly ‘good morning’ or ‘good evening’. I had no real problems while I was there apart from the noise from outside, but I definitely prefer the Meridien and the Kempinski.
Overall, a good five-star hotel, good location, a bit noisy.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room, but you'll get some noise fro outside in all rooms.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business