“It was acceptable...but too many buts...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Budapest Buda

You added Mercure Budapest Buda to your Saves list
Mercure Budapest Buda
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Krisztina korut 41 - 43., Budapest 1013, Hungary (District I / Buda)   |
Ranked #119 of 333 Hotels in Budapest
Port Macquarie, Australia
“It was acceptable...but too many buts...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

This was a reasonably located hotel, not too far from the city centre if walking (with a metro on the corner). Local restaurants nearby.

However, we had the worst sleep here out of 25 hotels on our recent European tour. The walls were exceptionally thin, and whilst I can accept that hotels cannot control that some of their guests may have a great night out, a mob arrived back in the early morning (which would have had to walk past reception) and carried on in the hallways for about an hour - including moving the shoe cleaning machines everywhere and turning them on, and screaming and yelling. It disrupted the sleep of many of us on our tour, some of whom had called reception about the noise. Very disappointing.

The breakfast was probably ok in the area reserved for "non coach tour guests" but we were directed to an area which, quite frankly, was awful. Not just the ambiance, but the quality of the food.

The business centre did not work despite requesting assistance. The lift malfunctioned on one occasion- which was actually quite unpleasant as all lights stopped working in the lift and we plummeted to the basement. Used the stairs after that.

The girl in the bar area however was very good.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Aniko N, General Manager at Mercure Budapest Buda, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Dear beachykeen70,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Budapest Buda. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

A. Nagy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Visited Budapest for two nights during a tour of Central Europe. Nice location outside of the city center, but easy to walk into the heart of Budapest (10-15 minute walk). The hotel is located next to a main train station so lots of foot traffic around hotel. There is a neat grocery store located between the hotel and train station. Good place to get some wonderful Hungarian breads and other interesting eats. Ok now for the hotel, think goodness only two nights. Bad beds and paper this walls. They only had the heat turned on and it was warm both days. SO, no air conditioner. That meant opening the window and listening to ambulances, cop cars and trains all night/morning long. Not all rooms have been refurbished. We were given one that wasn't. They will charge you an upgrade for one of the newer rooms, according to a poster in the elevator. Maybe it would have been worth it, as our room was pretty scary, holes in the bathroom, and cracks around the tub and sink.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Aniko N, General Manager at Mercure Budapest Buda, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Dear terri d,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us! I was very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your staying in Hotel Mercure Budapest Buda! I greatly appreciate the compliments on the location. We have a unique location only a few steps away from the Budavár Castle ( World Heritage Site ) and 15 minutes walk from the Chain Bridge.
Once again, thank you for the positive feedback and for taking the time to write about us. We look forward to having an opportunity to be of service to you in the future.

Bari
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

Simply perfect: we got an excellent fare and perfect to visit Buda, that is more than beautiful. By tramway, it is easy to reach Pest and late in the night there are the night lines to come back to the hotel.
Very clean room, coffee and the in the room and frigobar. Attention, to take with you your credit card, as they will ask you the caution guarantee by passing your card, so make sure to have one.
The staff don't speak English as they should (being a 4 stars hotels), but in exchange they are very nice.
You can change money at the hotel (exchange rate more and less in the average).
Beautiful experience and city!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Aniko N, General Manager at Mercure Budapest Buda, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Dear sigi s,

Many thanks for the nice words which you posted to TripAdvisor. We are very glad to read your positive remarks regarding your stay in our hotel; we will share them with our team. We hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Kiev, Ukraine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

I chose a hotel based on tripadvisor reviews and after reading about Mercure Budapest Buda was sure my stay would be much better.

The only positive things are location in relation to room price and helpful reception staff. There's also a free bicycle storage.

The hotel itself seems old and cries for refurbishment. There are old stains on the floor and on the bath itself. The window opens with problems and our fridge stopped freezing on the third day.

The breakfasts are the same each day and definitely very poor. I had many much better breakfasts in 3* hotels.

Of course we spent a little time in the hotel itself and that didn't spoil our impression of this lovely city, but waking up in the morning and going to hotel at night didn't bring us any positive emotions. I haven't been to any other hotel in Budapest, but I won't stay here again for sure.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Krisztina krt. get a lot of street noise if you open the window.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear MaxFilippov,

Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

Stayed for two nights - 19 and 20 April 2014 as part of 8 day tour of this part of Europe. Hotel was fine - great views from the front rooms of the old part of Buda. Only a short walk to the Danube and Pest - you do have to go through a very noisy tunnel but it is only a ten min walk from the hotel to the Pest side of this city.

Breakfasts were plentiful, rooms were clean, secure, good value and appropriately furnished.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Aniko N, General Manager at Mercure Budapest Buda, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear Barry W,

Karachi, Pakistan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

Excellent and nothing less then Excellent over all. However, building needs some upgrade. The staff is efficient from reception to house keeping. Breakfast staff is shy but professional. Bar is with friendly staff and helpful. Rooms are although small but tidy and cleanliness seems priority of management. However, carpets are getting worn out especially the ones near the lift and room areas.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Sulemand,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us regarding your stay in our hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. Among the advantages of our hotel there is the helpful staff. Thank you for your remark again and we sincerely hope to see you back in our hotel in the near future.

Best regards
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

First of all let me say the staff here were nothing but professional. Courteous and helpful and (luckily) spoke English. The hotel, however, is not 4**** from the 7th floor down. I suspect the parent company, Accor, is refurbishing the place bit by bit.
I was using booking .com initially but came across a snag on website so called Accor directly with a query. I was asked who h room I was trying to book and told them it was a Superior Room with twin beds as it was for me and my fifteen year old daughter. The rep. from Accor then offered me a Privilege Room if I booked through them. I asked if it had twin beds and was told, "No, double bed in this room." I said I would prefer twin beds so was then offered a Junior Suite. Sounded too good to pass up so I took it, reasoning that if the Privilege was as good as I had read about then the Junior Suite must be quite something.
Upon arrival we were checked in and given key card for room 712. 7th floor? I thought. All the good room reviews had mentioned the 8th floor as the place to be. Never mind, wait and see.
When we opened the door to our Junior Suite we walked into a small, drab, seating area with two very old looking two-seater sofas and a rather bulky old TV. Turning right into the bedroom we saw another old TV and what appeared to be a double bed. We were too tired to deal with it on first night but it wasn't the best looking room. Opening a door that was in corridor between seating area and bedroom we found a tiny bathroom with a tub and a rubber hose from tap to a shower head. This was the shower.
The following morning I mentioned the twin bed issue and was offered a room on 3rd floor. This was the same arrangement but without seating area. We stayed where we were. (I suspect the person we complained to thought we were trying to get an upgrade but I really don't think you should require an upgrade from anything with 'suite' in the description. I think it's probably worth waiting a couple of years until Accor have refurbed the whole place or take a room on the Mystical Eighth.
Personally, when me and my daughter return to Budapest I'll stick with a Carlson hotel (the ones I usually use.)

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Aniko N, General Manager at Mercure Budapest Buda, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear David G,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments online. We do value both positive and negative feedback from guests as we genuinely want to know your thoughts and impressions regarding our facilities and service. I do appreciate that you took the time to consider your feedback via Trip Advisor.
I hope that we get the chance to replace your negative experiences with far more favorable ones in the future at some stage.
Again thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.