We spent three nights in room 104. Initial impressions were excellent - really convenient location which was out of the way enough to be quiet, but very handy - only a few minutes walk from the main Metro station or the opera. However things went downhill:
1. There is a door on the first floor to a balcony overlooking restaurant area. This means that any noise travels straight up to the first floor. As a result we were kept awake most of the first night by people in the restaurant area (which has a complimentary coffee machine) talking. I asked to be moved to a room not on the first floor but this was not possible, as the hotel was full.
2. There was no milk for the tea either in the room or in the complimentary drinks area in the restaurant area. We therefore ended up buying our own from the Spar supermarket opposite, which was fine but...
3. The minibar fridge didn't work at all. We reported this twice on the second day (after we had put our milk in it), but it still wasn't fixed by the end of our stay. What was worse was that the fan at the back of it was really noisy constantly, so we had the noise (which drowned out some of the noise from the voices on the first night), but no fridge!
4. The hotel offers complimentary bathrobes. We asked for these after our first night, and before the second night but they did not materialise. We asked again after our second night and before the third night and they FINALLY came just before we retired for bed on the third night.
5. Shower pressure was excellent. However, the water seemed to have lots of little black bits (probably from the pipes in it), which covered the shower tray (and presumably us), which wasn't very nice.
6. Water pressure in the basin was virtually non existent. It was impossible to fill the basin, as the water drained out, even when the plug was closed, as soon as it filled. I had to wash my face in running water rather than the basin.
7. The toilet continually refilled, which meant that as well as the noise from the fridge fan, and (on the first night) the people in the restaurant area, we also had the trickling from the loo 24 hours per day.
On the plus side the staff were friendly, though they didn't manage to arrange for the maintenance issues to be fixed, so not sure how effective they were. There was also a really nice drinks machine (coffee and hot chocolate and tea, but no milk) in the restaurant area which was complimentary, and complimentary snacks (crisps etc) there too, which we had before going out for dinner. The bed was also large and very comfy (one of the best I have stayed in for a long time). Breakfast was OK with a good selection of food, but very limited selection of cereal if you like cereal.
The hotel could be fantastic - it's location really is perfect (despite the area looking a bit dodgy, it isn't), and the decor is modern and smart. However, the maintenance issues and having to continually ask (in vain) that they be fixed really weren't good enough. I don't know how it can justify a four star rating.
Rooms on the first floor are likely to be noisy at night if there are people in the restaurant area.
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Report response as inappropriate
Thank you very much for taking time to write your long and fully detailed review of your stay in Budapest and about our Hotel! This will definitely help to other travelers. We are terrible sorry that you had complaints in the room and we couldn't fix it in time. We had a fully booked house during the whole week. We can promise if you choose us next time you will get higher floor room without any problems.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.