We spent three nights in room 104. Initial impressions were excellent - really convenient location which was out of the way enough to be quiet, but very handy - only a few minutes walk from the main Metro station or the opera. However things went downhill:
1. There is a door on the first floor to a balcony overlooking restaurant area. This means that any noise travels straight up to the first floor. As a result we were kept awake most of the first night by people in the restaurant area (which has a complimentary coffee machine) talking. I asked to be moved to a room not on the first floor but this was not possible, as the hotel was full.
2. There was no milk for the tea either in the room or in the complimentary drinks area in the restaurant area. We therefore ended up buying our own from the Spar supermarket opposite, which was fine but...
3. The minibar fridge didn't work at all. We reported this twice on the second day (after we had put our milk in it), but it still wasn't fixed by the end of our stay. What was worse was that the fan at the back of it was really noisy constantly, so we had the noise (which drowned out some of the noise from the voices on the first night), but no fridge!
4. The hotel offers complimentary bathrobes. We asked for these after our first night, and before the second night but they did not materialise. We asked again after our second night and before the third night and they FINALLY came just before we retired for bed on the third night.
5. Shower pressure was excellent. However, the water seemed to have lots of little black bits (probably from the pipes in it), which covered the shower tray (and presumably us), which wasn't very nice.
6. Water pressure in the basin was virtually non existent. It was impossible to fill the basin, as the water drained out, even when the plug was closed, as soon as it filled. I had to wash my face in running water rather than the basin.
7. The toilet continually refilled, which meant that as well as the noise from the fridge fan, and (on the first night) the people in the restaurant area, we also had the trickling from the loo 24 hours per day.
On the plus side the staff were friendly, though they didn't manage to arrange for the maintenance issues to be fixed, so not sure how effective they were. There was also a really nice drinks machine (coffee and hot chocolate and tea, but no milk) in the restaurant area which was complimentary, and complimentary snacks (crisps etc) there too, which we had before going out for dinner. The bed was also large and very comfy (one of the best I have stayed in for a long time). Breakfast was OK with a good selection of food, but very limited selection of cereal if you like cereal.
The hotel could be fantastic - it's location really is perfect (despite the area looking a bit dodgy, it isn't), and the decor is modern and smart. However, the maintenance issues and having to continually ask (in vain) that they be fixed really weren't good enough. I don't know how it can justify a four star rating.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 37 bedrooms are in boutique style, all equipped with stylish interior, air-conditioning, safe, minibar, LCD TV, free use of wireless internet.Full hot and cold buffet breakfast is served for the guests offering delicious international and traditional Hungarian dishes. We provide free coffee, tea, refreshing water and snacks in our open bar all day long. Internet corner is available with PC, the wireless internet is free of charge in the entire area of the hotel. Safe, underground garage is available on site.Special discounts are provided for the hotel guests in the shops of Király street, Budapest’s main street specialised for interior decoration, design, fashion and jewerly. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Despegar.com, Agoda, Travelocity, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Fastbooking and Tingo so you can book your BEST WESTERN PLUS Hotel Ambra reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ambra Hotel Budapest