“Excellent service with a caveat.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #38 of 332 Hotels in Budapest
Florida
“Excellent service with a caveat.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

It's a good Marriot. Some floors have been refurbished but the carpeting in our room on the 5th floor is still worn and shabby. I had to ask for a mattress support too! The cleaning of our room was poor. We found a shower cap left behind and never thrown out. The food in "Peppers" was excellent as was the service. After a long flight, it's a good choice to remain at the hotel! The view of the Danube was wonderful. It's also centrally located for walking into the city.The business center was friendly and helpful. They have a scale if you want to be sure you're not over the 50 pound limit if you're traveling economy.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms that have been totally UPGRADED!!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (458)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We have just returned from a 1 week stay at this resort .My husband and I were in Budapest. Arrived at check in at noon and despite being earlier than the normal check in we were quickly assigned a room. The room was on the 6th floor and felt clean and comfortable when we walked in. It wasn't particularly large but was fine for what we wanted. The bathroom had been modernised recently and was well appointed. We loved our stay and would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I stayed at the Budapest Marriott Hotel for a work conference and between trips to other parts of Europe, for about 7 days total. For the pros, I loved the location and convenience of the hotel. It is right next to the Danube River on the Pest side (the modern and financial side of Budapest), and the views from the room were fantastic (get a river-facing view that lets you see Buda Castle). It was also easy to get to some of the tourist areas from the hotel, both by walking or river cruise.

The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful, and I enjoyed eating at the Peppers Restaurant downstairs. The food and drinks at the hotel were really great, and the hotel has great lounging areas for meeting others or just relaxing. They also have a piano player in the afternoon and evenings, which is a nice touch. I think the staff did a great job in making guests feel welcome.

And now the cons: I definitely felt that my room should have been a lot cleaner. The room had at least 3-4 large stains on the carpet (over 6-8 inches long), and the bathroom also didn't seem that clean either (old stains on the floor and in the sink and tub). For an upscale hotel, the room felt kind of shabby and unkempt.

The worst part was that I was in a non-smoking floor of the hotel, but noticed that there was a considerable smell of smoke outside my door around Day 4. This smoke-smell carried throughout the hotel wing and hallway leading to the elevators. I complained about the smell immediately to the front desk, but I don't think anything was done about it because I could still smell the smoke for another 2-3 days. I think either someone in one of the adjacent rooms was illegally smoking up a storm, or the housekeeping staff were smoking in the area. Either way, the hotel wasn't enforcing the no-smoking policy very well.

Overall, I would caution anyone from staying here for longer than 1-2 days. For those staying for more than that, the hotel may not be a good choice because of the issues I mentioned above. I know that I felt disappointed by my stay overall.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the Danube River, on a higher floor and to the right of the central tower t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Stayed for a week for a meeting in late October. Our room was clean and comfortable with excellent view of the Castle and Danube. Rooms have been updated and are generally as expected for Marriott but hallway carpets throughout are somewhat dated and noticeably musty. Executive lounge access was very useful as it provides breakfast and snacks in evening plus soft drinks and tea/coffee throughout day, along with Internet. Be careful though as the charge quoted to us for Executive Lounge access after meeting was an additional €65 per day which seems truly excessive on top of relatively expensive hotel room. When we showed it was less expensive as advertised on Internet sites, price was reduced almost in half. Internet access in room is quite expensive and slow, though reliable. Great gym. Optimal location for restaurants, shopping, market. As two women, we did feel the need to stay quite close to hotel and tourist areas after dark; safety outside the central main tourist area is clearly a concern that should not be taken lightly, but we were fine in hotel area. Fortunately food in Peppers Lounge was very good and reasonably priced so we ate there often and enjoyed our meals more even than when we went out to try local restaurants. Food supplied during meeting was also excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for Castle view and rooms high up. Most rooms will have spectacular views.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

After I read a positive review by a single, female traveler, I decided to stay here for 3 nights and used Marriott points to cover my stay. I was given a room on the 10th floor and had access to the Executive Lounge on the 9th floor as well as free wifi in my room. My room had an incredible view of the Castle Hill and the Chain bridge. The room has western standards and there were plenty of pillows and linens, a comfortable bed, very clean and spacious room and bathroom. No complaints about the room except there was no clock in the room. Having access to the Executive Lounge was great - complimentary breakfast on the terrace facing the Danube, wine and appetizers at sunset on the same terrace. The hotel staff was quite helpful and spoke English very well. Aside from the fact that most of the guests were Americans, I liked everything about my stay at this hotel. It's in a great location, walking distance to everything. I read the other reviews about the rooms being tired and worn, but that was not the case for my room (on the Executive Lounge floor.) It could very well be the case on the other floors but I didn't go to them. I did have a massage in the hotel - it was not very expensive and it was good - not great.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Saint John, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

The Marriott name and the advertised "Every room facing the Danube" made us book a room here. The view of the river was spectacular. The lobby and rooms are clean and comfortable. This is what you would expect from a Marriott. The location is very convinient for tourists as the walking mall is just 5 mins away.

We felt that the 5th floor hall carpets need changing as they smelled a bit musty. The other irritant is that you have to pay for internet access in your room. It is free in the lobby. A hotel chain such as Marriott should provide free internet.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

We spent only one night here, while waiting to get on the AMA Waterways river cruise. The outside of the building looks a little tired, but don't be deceived. The interior is lovely and clean. Likely recently renovated. The rooms are roomy and comfortable. The bed is probably the most cozy bed I ever slept in. Incredible view of the river in both directions if you get a room on the river side. It is walking distance to quite a few landmarks, good restraunts and shopping. Much of the staff spoke English, so my lack of Hungarian was not an issue!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Budapest Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!