“The best dinner ever, in Budapest!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #45 of 1,797 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Doing business
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: Siculus coquus et Sicula mensa...that is the Sicilian cook and Sicilian table. According to a Roman saying this is the secret to a healthy life. They came, saw and conquered: the Greeks, Carthaginians, Romans, Arabs, Normans, Angevins, Hapsburgs, the Bourbons...Yes, every one of them! All these people, they left something in Sicily - Trinacria, for example, belonging to Greek mythology, the Gorgon in the middle and the three legs as tips to protect the island. The Arabs, skilled breeders of goats and lambs, and with them their milk, processed caciocavallo, provola pecorino. The testimony of the Saracens from the "sweet tooth" in Sicily is a legacy left by the nuns who handed down the memory, and it is thanks to them that today we have the real dough, cassata and Siculus coquus et Sicula mensa "cannoli". With the succession of all these peoples, Sicily today has a very diverse cultural heritage, that leaves a lasting impression for life, the memories of all those travelers who have had the opportunity and the chance to visit it. Between the oleanders and colorful bougainvillea, under the shade of the thick foliage of olive trees, savoring the delicacies of Sicilian cuisine, including fresh fish of the sea, the warm sun that enriches and gives an unmistakable flavor to fruits and vegetables, sipping her wine noblest, is unforgettable. Equally memorable are the inhabitants of this fantastic island, famous for their warm welcome and availability, full of life, with their kindling a sense of humor, with the inimitable "coppola" placed on their heads, with a joyful noise you preach good appetite. This atmosphere we are ready to offer here in Budapest! "Baciamo le mani!"(kind of typical Sicilian regards) Salvo Sgroi and La Coppola Team
Helsinki, Finland
“The best dinner ever, in Budapest!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I invited 25 people for my birthday dinner at the Trattoria La Coppola. The whole evening turned out to be the best dinner I’ve ever had in Budapest. It is not only the cozy atmosphere and the friendly staff, but also the perfectly selected, truly authentic raw materials, which come directly from Sicily! I couldn’t believe my eyes, when we were entering the restaurant. The truck from Sicily arrived at the same time with us, so we could witness it with our own eyes when the fresh swordfish, shrimps, lobsters and mussels were unloaded from the truck! In about an hour we already had this delicious sea food on our plates! On top of the excellent tastes of all sorts of meals, the service was impeccable. The waiters could handle my big group really smoothly and always suggested just the perfect wine matching with the certain dish. I can’t wait to return and try every single part of the menu.

• Greek first
  • Polish first
Budapest, Budapest, Hungary
“The very best of Sicily! :) At the right time in the right place...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We were walking on the Károlyi István street at the end of Summer. The lovely smell and the fabulous cue could be felt on the street which attracted us to enter the restaurant. Warm, welcoming lights, friendly colours, clean and tidy, nicely furnished rooms awaited us. We sat at a nice table with a kind checked table-cloth on top of it. From the first moment we saw the food on the other tables it captured us. The waiters are kind and polite and they speak really good English, Italian and Hungarian, and we could only talk about the friendly manner they welcome the guests with on highest level in real Sicilian restaurant. The owner introduced himself, talked to us and entertained us, an undeniable Sicilian. The original Italian and Sicilian ingredients and dishes such as the Vitello Tonnato, the Parma Ham with melon, the salmon, the Mozzarella cheese made of buffalo milk, the mussels, the crayfish, all types of pizza all these brought Sicily to that restaurant in the heart of Budapest. The portions and the prices were reasonable, the wine was really nice and the service was perfect. They have all our respect, hours after leaving the restaurant we could only talk about the outstanding experience we had.
We had a whale of a time and we cannot wait for the next we can go there.

When there you can really feel like that the sun is always shining :)

I recommend this place with all my heart to every soul...! :)

• Visited September 2012
Budapest
“Go sicilian!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Since the place has been recently refurbished, the enterior design is amazing and welcomes you since the beginning in a cozy sicilian atmosphere, ideal for couples or good friends who want to spend lovely time together.
I went for dinner about 3 weeks ago with some friends: I usually don't eat pasta at dinner but the deal was too tempting to choose anything else: Pasta alla Norma (dish from Catania) and Pasta con Sarde (dish from Palermo) for a very good price. for dessert we had a classic as well: Cannolo. The Cialda (the wrap around the ricotta cheese) was homemade and delicious. Limoncello liquor was on the house. service was ok too with the chef/owner coming to greet us at the end of meal. I read a couple of bad reviews regarding the staff courtesy. I know the overall attitude of waiters and bartenders in terms of customer care and politeness in Hungary can be quite argueable but from my point of view,this wasn't the case of La Coppola.

Then other good news: they made a nice offer in lunchtime with 220 grams of Pasta freshly cooked with any toppings for only 990 forints. this was a very nice idea for those who like having a lunch with a friend or a colleague in downtown.

I didnt try the pizza yet, as soon as I do, I will update this review!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Budapest, Hungary
“The perfect hospitality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Dear Salvo and everyone in the La Coppola restaurant!

Just a few days ago I spent a wonderful time in your restaurant. That was my first time in Hungary, Before arrive at Budapest, my friends suggested this Trattoria, I was a waiter on a luxury Cruise Ship,so I can tell you,I have a really good dining experience about the food quality and the service. I'm a globe-trotter,I'v been in Italy and in Sicily many times, but I never eat so fine and tasty food,like yours. The pasta was "al dente" the pizza crispy,soft and fresh,just what we expectede. The diningroom staff was friendly,smiling, and the atmosphera just like in Italy,or even better. After dinner the chef came to our table to ask, How was the dinner. All in all: Good food, friendly service. Dear Salvo! Once again: keep it up,I'll recomend this plac for my friends, and for sure next time I'll return back to you. Jack and his friends.

Copenhagen, Denmark
“Just fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

On a light, rainy late afternoon we seeked refuge in this resturant. We were not really that hungry, but all that changed during the next couple of hours where we felt just italian in this Italian restaurant with great service and brillant food. You will really not expect this from the look outside, but you will not be disapponted. And it's even not expensive at all. Impeccable!

• Visited October 2012