“Warm and Cozy, Perfect for Snow Days” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BARbar Cafe & Chocolate

BARbar Cafe & Chocolate
Papnovelde street 3., Budapest 1053, Hungary (Formerly BARbar Cafe & Chocolate & Lemonade Bar)
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #20 of 1,601 restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: Café
Good for: Romance
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Located in the most peaceful part of District V in a small side street of Vaci Utca (Papnovelde utca 3.), BARBar Cafe & Chocolate is THE BEST chocolateria in this town! The owners, a young couple named Viki and Tomi, are very enthusiastic about the cafe and their aim is to make the guests utterly at home and relaxed in their cafe.The philosophy behind it is: using only high-quality ingredients for the preparation of coffees, lemonades and chocolates. For the chocolate drinks they buy real Belgian Callebaut chocolate (dark 70%, milk 47% or white 28% chocolate pastilles and not powder that is sued in most other Budapest cafes). The freshly made lemonade drinks (in ajam jar) are very refreshing on a sultry summer day. You can also have snacks, should you feel peckish: try the various spreads (aubergine spread, Italian pesto, spiced tomato cream). BARBar Cafe has laid-back atmosphere with warm colors and creative furnishing (refurbished Singer sewing machines serve as tables).
Los Angeles, California
“Warm and Cozy, Perfect for Snow Days”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

My friend and I sought this place out after reading the reviews on TripAdvisor.
When we arrived around 7PM, the seats downstairs were all taken and so we were instructed to head upstairs. The landing upstairs was very nice, I loved the quirky photos all over the walls! There was even a little lounge-y corner with large pillows and a short coffee table. My friend had the milk chocolate hot chocolate while I decided to be more adventurous and try the dark chocolate w/ mint. I thought the milk hot chocolate was great, but I couldn't taste the mint in my dark chocolate at all. Besides that, the service overall was a bit slow because it seemed like there was only one server at the time. All in all, I'm glad I visited this cafe and would be willing to go back and try another drink, but I'm probably won't go out of my way to seek it out again.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

94% Recommend
  • Polish first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Service not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Visited here with friends. The hot chocolate was very good, but it was let down by the service. The individual working there was not very pleasant from the moment we walked in til the moment we left. Also, we waited quite awhile for both our drinks are our food.

Visited January 2013
“Amazin”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

Highly recommend a thermal spa topped off with a hot chocolate from here. We tried the banana white choc hot chocolate and milk choc and coconut ......amazing! Best hot chocs we've ever had. The toasties and nachos are yummy too. :)

Brussels, Belgium
“Best Belgian hot chocolate than in Belgium”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I lived for some years in Belgium and I never found there a better hot chocolate than here. I must for chocolate lovers!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Great place! ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

I went there with my boyfriend on a cold winter evening. It was fairly empty, beautifully decorated, great background music (Zero7 and such), and the chocolate... Oh, the chocolate...
The menu has dozens of different drinks but I chose the classic and went for plain dark chocolate. I'm a chocolate lover, so I ordered the large and it was a struggle to finish it, albeit a wonderfully enjoyable struggle. I recommend this place to anyone with a sweet tooth who enjoys good chocolate.
Also, my boyfriend ordered the forest fruit milkshake which was heavenly, but let's be honest - that's not what you come here for.