“This is a cool luxury hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Buddha-Bar Hotel Budapest Klotild Palace

You added Buddha-Bar Hotel Budapest Klotild Palace to your Saves list
Buddha-Bar Hotel Budapest Klotild Palace
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vaci utca 34, Budapest 1052, Hungary (District V / Inner City)   |
Ranked #33 of 333 Hotels in Budapest
Stockholm, Sweden
“This is a cool luxury hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I stayed here in Sept 2012, just one night. This isn't your ordinary business hotel. The hotel is located just right in the middle of Budapest tourist district.

The hotel has dimmed red lightning and ambiance music everywhere, so cool. My room was bigger than a normal room and with a very nice kingsize bed. Everything very modern, I had some problem to locate the minibar as you had to push wall panels to get it to open. Maybe the most extensive minibar I've seen in a hotel with three sections.

The shower was combined with a very large bath tub, maybe 2x2 meters. Amazing experience to have a rainfall shower in the tub.

I can strongly recommend this hotel for a different luxury experience in Budapest. I will for sure return if in Budapest.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with the large bathtub and rainfall shower, it's an experience.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
BuddhaBarEast, General Manager at Buddha-Bar Hotel Budapest Klotild Palace, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

I can't say it better than yourself : we offer a ''different luxury experience in Budapest''. Not the old traditional way made to please the largest possible audience, but the adventurous who like to see something different, for what I would consider as being a really affordable price.

Some guests are becoming our Ambassadors, you are definitely in our circle.
Kindest regards,

Daniel Penet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Zagreb, Croatia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel with some friends. The hotel is very nice and the staff is young and seems a bit inexperienced, but nevertheless helpful and friendly. At check in, the hotel requires that they block your credit card. FYI, they don't accept Diners Club. Hotel guests can park in a nearby parking garage for about 20euros a night. The location is fantastic and within walking distance to many points of interest.

The rooms were beautiful but not enough light for my liking. I was annoyed when I had to search for my charger by feeling around by hand because I couldn't see it. I guess the dim lighting in the rooms goes along with the buddha theme, but still, it was annoying. The bathroom was gorgeous and had a remote controlled toilet, which is the first time I had ever seen one. The mirrors were heated so they didn't fog up while taking a shower. Unfortunately, the glass wall on the tub is too short, so when showering with the rain shower head, water goes all over and you get a flood on the floor. I stayed in room 320, which was huge and much bigger than the other rooms my friends had.

Our first night there we decided to go to the buddha bar in the hotel. Our welcome drinks were excellent. Our hostess was very friendly and was glad to describe the different drinks they had. We decided to eat there. The sushi was great (definitely recommend!) and the price was acceptable. My only issue is that once the hostess left us, it took a very long time for someone to come and take our orders, we actually had to flag down another waitress.

Breakfast was good and is served from 6-11am. There was a variety of food available. The "blueberry" pancakes have one blueberry in each pancake. I mean, they were good, but one blueberry? Also, service can be a bit too slow, which doesn't particularly bother me, but I feel for a 5 star hotel, it should be up to par.

On a negative note, the top floor sky bar or the wet area/spa center weren't working. We were offered the use of the spa in a nearby hotel. The reception gave us each our own bag with towel, bathrobe and slippers to carry ourselves to the spa center. This didn't bother me, but again, I would think for a 5 star hotel this would have been take care of in a better way.

Overall, I liked the hotel and had a wonderful stay. I just think that it misses the glamor, polish and attention to detail one expects in a 5 star hotel.

Room Tip: Room 320 is a double twin room and is very large! It doesn't have a balcony, but has windows tha...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
BuddhaBarEast, General Manager at Buddha-Bar Hotel Budapest Klotild Palace, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your detailed review.
You are absolutely right, our staff is helpful and friendly, but can improve in each service task which is what we are daily working on. We think you can train a person to be a good waiter for example, but you can't change a personality, so we are giving priority to open positive staff.
I agree wtih you, rooms are sometimes perceived as too dark, and we are in the process of correcting by purchasing additional lighting in each room.
Sorry to read the restaurant service was somehow slow, and that the ''blueberry'' pancake was having ... only one blueberry ! I addressed it to the Chef so it will be changed for your next visit ... and for all future guests.
Yes, our Klotild Sky Bar is not open daily, only in certain special occasions (Piano Bar on Wendesday every 2 weeks or other specials), but we already have 2 bars (Lobby Bar and Buddha Bar Lounge) that could host you in cosy atmosphere.
We also had for a few days technical problems in the Spa and closed wet area, while giving access to good nearby Spa, but this has been corrected by now. We only miss the japanese bath for a few more weeks, but wet area has been re-opened.
We will continue efforts to have Glamour, polish and attention to details so you will have an even better than past ''wonderful stay'', it is our target to improve after 9 months opening and still improve your experience at the Buddha Bar Klotild Palace Budapest.

Kind regards
Croatia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I truly enjoyed the hotel and the staff. There are things which need improvement and this is why I rated it with 4/5 stars since for a 5 star hotel it really should have these kind of, lets call them, "glitches". The staff was very helpful and nice. I really rarely notice the staff but this staff was awesome, very helpful and well informed. Some of the staff is still very novice but not in a negative way, they tried and did their best.

The hotel rooms were the perfect size and the only complaint would be that I found that the room would be better with a bit more light.The windows were double windows when both closed the did a good job of noise reduction but if one is open you can hear some noise even on the third floor. The bathroom was amazing and very modern. The shower head on the celling was amazing but when used caused a minor flood in the bathroom, not sure why. The toilets seats are automatic with water spraying abilities and fan and they even have light. Overall the rooms are very beautiful and modern. Love them to be honest.

The breakfast was included in our price and I liked but I felt that the option of "cereals" should have had a more healthier version for a 5 star hotel such as oatmeal or oat bran or flax seeds offered (I do have to mention that I didn't ask if they had these products), and I wish they had at least two different kind of yogurt brands. Besides that I like the breakfast menu which I ordered every morning. I also wish they had stevia instead of sweet and low. Since it is healthier, but this is a personal opinion.

The hotel restaurant, that is open to the public, has amazing sushi and gets busy during the weekend. I highly recommend you try the sushi, it really is excellent. The welcome drink which we got was very good too. The price of the sushi meals was reasonable. We did get however a bit confused as to who was serving us since we had to flag down a waiter or one of the other staff member to order. The service was a bit slow and could have been more attentive during the ordering process. We got our menu and our original waiter came back 15 minutes later to get our order and in the mean while we placed an order with a random waiter that was just serving out food.

The hotel spa did not work so I didn't attend it but my friends wanted to so they were redirected to another hotel close by so I can't really comment on this.
The hotel bar on top of the building was closed and we thought it work, we had to go to the top of the building and then to the lobby to ask if the bar at the top of the hotel was working. I personally thing they should have informed us during check in that the hotel spa and bar at the top of the building weren't working.

The location was ideal and perfect for anyone that wants to be central and near many monuments.

Overall very nice experience but not quite 5 star like to be honest but still a very good hotel.

Room Tip: Room 320 is HUGE and has two beds. If you cannot find it on the breakfast menu or table, ask if th...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
BuddhaBarEast, General Manager at Buddha-Bar Hotel Budapest Klotild Palace, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your feed-back, and particularly positive about our Staff. Yes, some are still ''novice'', we hired them at the opening 8 months ago, and recruitment was in priority picking up smiling, positive and helpful characters. Then came the professionalism training, this is something you can learn, but we can't teach personality.
You made a very detailed review, thanks, but I should say that in Budapest, we are really in the 2 or 3 best 5 stars available in the destination. I noticed you are coming from Chicago - Illinois where standards are very high ... (I was working a few months in Shaumburg - Illinois for TravelCLICK, opening one European branch for this Company). I am happy that you described overall a good experience at the Buddha Bar Klotild Palace and promise we try harder every day to make every guest stay as good as possible.

Limassol, Cyprus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

My girlfriend and i came to the hotel lounge bar to have drinks. it was the first time we visited this hotel and i usualy prefer to go to hotels for drinks due to the nice and clean enviroments. we were amazed by the ambience of the whole hotel. we decided to take a sit at the bar as im always curious to see how the different bar men prepare their drinks. there we were greeted by the bar supervisor András Lakézi, from the start this gentleman made it his goal for our evening to be a wonderful one. he was always attentive and helpful. a real professional, you dont see many in the trade today. i would like to personally thank him for an amazing evening he helped create. i also asked him if it was possible to take a tour of the hotel and the rooms and he arranged it immediately after seeing everything and after the bellboy explained to me the procedures and the faciliteis i recommend the hotel and the bar to everyone in town for a visit.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your review and really happy you have enjoyed the Bar Lounge ! We communicated to Andras your feed-back ...!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

We were so looking forward to this stay - having visited there sister hotel in Prague while staying at a different hotel and liked what we saw. This hotel is in a great location, a beautifully furnished and presented building but what really makes a stay is the staff. What a very strange mix they were. What they weren't: warm, friendly, approachable, attentive, interested in you, caring. what they were: just enough to do their job - some of the time.
You need 20/20 vision to read the menus as it is so dark in the bar - we didn't eat in the restaurant in the end as on our arrival rather late Monday evening we were told the restaurant was open until 11 - that obviously means finished eating and out by 11 as at 10-20 we were told the kitchen was closed and that we could eat in the bar - 10 minutes later we found the bar (signs and directions don't exist) and were told very cooly, with no apology that no we were too late. Room service was the only option. So we went out into budapest to find somewhere to eat. This experience put me off so we didn't bother trying the restaurant again as there are plenty of good restaurants nearby. Much of the criteria for booking this package is that the hotel has a lovely spa that the use of was included in our deal -we didn't get to use it as it was out of action but were not told this on arrival rather I discovered it when I went on the hotel website from my bedroom as there is no information regarding treatments in the room ( or for any facilities in the hotel for that matter - including restaurant menus) we were offered the chance to go to a spa in another hotel 10 minutes walk away but that wasn't very appealing in the cold and carrying all our requirements in carrier bags as it was all we had with us - not expecting to need to do this. So we didn't bother
Breakfast was excellent and the staff were lovely - the most welcoming place in the hotel.
We had a lovely time in budapest - our first visit so I am sorry if I have dwelt on the negatives in this write up - not really like me - but I felt it necessary to point out the downside of a five star hotel with five star prices but not five star service - a real shame as this was not our experience with people everywhere else we went to in budapest which is a lively and vibrant place / even in the cold of winter and we plan to return but to a different hotel!

• Stayed January 2013
BuddhaBarEast, General Manager at Buddha-Bar Hotel Budapest Klotild Palace, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks for extended feed-back. I will try to help our Grand Travellers community answering your questions.
You mentioned you have visited our Buddha Bar Hotel Prague, thanks and happy you liked it, as you stayed up to your TripAdvisor reviews at the Corinthia, the giant hotel outside of the City that you quoted the same as our Property. Coming from Prague, my point of view would really have a different result as there are a lot of differences with the Buddha Bar Klotild Palace in all aspects (544 Rooms Corinthia Towers outside City vs Buddha Bar Klotild Palace Hotel with 102 rooms boutique LifeStyle Hotel in heart of the City), but each person has an opinion.
It is a very often feed-back that our staff is warm, friendly, approachable, attentive and interested in guests well being so I am really surprised by your experience.
Yes, Lounge is dark, this is part of the concept and this is why we offer to all guests including You the welcome drink there to invite our clients to discover this atmosphere. Not a question of 20/20 vision, and you can either claim for a small hand lighting or use mobile phone in case you need more light for the menu. I really admit it can disturb, but it is fully part of the concept, and as you have visited Buddha Bar Prague, you should not have been surprised by this. I understand you have been frustrated by late arrival with announcement that kitchen is closing at 23h00 last order, but we have to follow law regulations with employment. We have alternative menus 24/24, but limited, and I understand your choice was to try outside the Buddha Bar, even though after 23h00 may unfortunately have been a challenge to find open restaurant, but I am happy you had a good experience there.
I confirm the hotel has full signage giving directions, you may not have noticed them in all floors, public areas, lifts despite a vision 20/20 because they are not that big and because our historical building is making it different than a Tower Hotel. The glass brige crossing over the historical Passage splitting our building in 2 parts is spectacular, true can be a challenge to find, either reading signage or asking direction to any staff.
There are full information about Treatment and offers of the Spa in the room, on the TV guests directory. We do not print anymore these big books, because they are not environment friendly, are never updated (but our electronic version is daily up to date) and because they are very expensive. These are details also why we are quite affordable for a 5 stars hotel.

Yes, our Spa is in construction maintenance for a few weeks, this is inconvenient but as far as I know, you have been offered going to another Spa 5 minutes from the Buddha Bar. A free transfer can be organized for you and there, you will find a really nice atmosphere including a swimming pool that we do not offer in our Spa. Sorry about this inconvenience, I understand going out in the cold (like for diner, but in this case, you seemed to be OK with it).

We are happy that you had good experience in Budapest, this is a very cool destination and one of the best EU capital city Trip best value for money, and we wish you another good experience next time you would like to visit.

Perth, Western Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Great location close to everything you would ever care for. Good service overall except in the Buddha Bar upstairs. The service here is very average as previous reviews have stated. It is very expensive and the waitresses seem to favour local people which I found a little odd as some of the people who will keep this place going after the initial local hype settles down will be the tourists. We had plenty of cash to burn in this bar but after begging to be served for over 15 mins we decided to take our money somewhere else and if you have been to Buddha Bar is Paris, Dubai, or Prague you haven't missed much.
The rooms are trendy, fitted out with everything you would need including free WI-FI and Nespresso machine. The room was approx 25 SQM in size. We found the best rate via the hotel website and managed to secure a room with an advance purchase rate of 176 EUR + tax per night which we found OK.
This Buddha Bar Hotel is clean, new, trendy, in a great location but we found the service overall lacking compared with Buddha Bar Prague. We just didn't get that "you are special' feeling, but I would still recommend the hotel overall because of the price and location and fact that is different to the big chain hotel experience.

Room Tip: I was lucky enough to look around a few more room types and the junior suites are the best value ove...
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your review, and for visiting us from Australia !

We realized that the service in the Lounge can be too slow sometimes, and we will take actions to correct this, thanks to bring this to our attention. But we still try to make you feel ''special'', not only and thanks for mentioning because we price and offer a very different experience from any big chain that you would find anywhere.

I feel we could have done better with you, I still hope you will go back to Perth with a positive feeling about your stay in Budapest at the Buddha Bar Klotild Palace !

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in October 2012, and I must say that everything was excellent! Great service - everyone is VERY friendly and knowledgeable. They go out of their way to make you stay memorable. The location is perfect - right at the edge of one of the main pedestrian streets. The Hotel itself has a very unique atmosphere and the room I was in was phenominal! And you must check out the bar on the top floor!
I highly recommend this place! Compares to the service of any good North-American hotel.

Room Tip: I stayed in romo 220, if that helps. I don't know if all the rooms were as impressive.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
BuddhaBarEast, Directeur général at Buddha-Bar Hotel Budapest Klotild Palace, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the time you allocated to write your nice review about our place ! Please come back ... in this New Year that will be happy for You and for us.