“Wide choice of dishes” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Kiev, Ukraine
“Wide choice of dishes”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Surely, you will find a meal for yourself. Menu is large but uncomfortable to read, maybe for local people it is ok but you will spend some time to find English translation.
We came there after a long drive and were very tired. The restaurant had good mucisians but as for me, they played too loud. Probably it is better to seat upstairs.
We ordered only two fish soups. The portion was big. Soup was perfect! Only one thing was terrible: the waiter brought some pieces of green pepper and some unknown sauce. This green pepper, I even had no idea that it could be so spicy! My mouth filled up with incredible fire(
I wish I did not try this pepper and sauce.
You will pay 15% for the service.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“We were ripped off .......”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

My husband and I, with two friends, recently stayed at the Mercure Buda Hotel in Budapest. We asked the reception staff if they could recommend a local restaurant for an evening meal on Monday 4 August. They recommended the Mester Restaurant and made a reservation for us for 7pm that evening.
We arrived a little early and were made extremely welcome by the red-headed waitress. We took some time looking through the menu and the waitress suggested that we should share the fixed menu, which was priced at 24.000HUF but there was a 50% reduction, making it on offer at 12.000HUF. We decided that we would try this as we had no idea of Hungarian cusine and thought that this would be good value for the four of us. (around £40).
The waitress also suggested that we started with Goulash soup, which we did, and must admit that it was absolutely delicious. She also provided us all with small glasses of schnapps, which I must admit we thought were complimentary!!
During the evening, the two gentlemen had 2 large beers each and one small. The two ladies had three glasses of red wine.
All during the evening, the waitress was extremely attentive and generally very very pleasant.
We asked for our bill around 10.00 and thought that it seemed a bit steep but we were all unfamiliar with the Hungarian currency as we had only been in the country that day. The bill came to just under 50.000HUL, which we now know came to around £160/£170!!!!!!!!!
The waitress must have realised we hadn't expected to pay that much money because we had to empty our purses/wallets - and indeed had to pay the last with a 20Euro bill. She must have seen us coming!!!!!
We didn't realise how much we had paid until we went to a different restaurant the next evening and paid around £40 for a similar meal!!!!!!
I intend to report this to the Hungarian Tourist Board and also the Mercure Duna Hotel as I would hate for anyone else to be fleeced as we were.

• Visited August 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great place to return”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I allways celebrate my anniversaries at this restaurant. The staff is always very nice to us.
The meal is very tasty, here is the best hungarian goulash soup in the tovn.

• Visited March 2013
Usedom Island, Germany
“Johan mett”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Good Hungarian restaurant!

Very delicate kitchen , /chef beef/ delicate wine and brandy!

Excellent service !!!

• Visited April 2013
Budapest, Hungary
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Advice from a native Hungarian”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I am Hungarian, and have been living for 10 years in Budapest. I have tried a lot of restaurants in Budapest. My boyfriend and me visited this restaurant last week (this was the first and the last time).
The food is delicious, the prices on the menu are OK. However, I definitely do not recommend this place to tourists. There is a band playing music and try to sell their CD for horribly high prices. They go to the tourists and ask them if they would pay a palinka (typical Hungarian liqueur) for the band. Then instead of palinka the waiter fill the glasses from the tap, poor tourists pay for the alcohol.

Furthermore, on the menu there are at least 45 types of palinka, but last week there were only 5 types.

My boyfriend and me as native Hungarian people are ashamed of this restaurant.

If you decide to try this restaurant in spite of the above please be very attentive.

• Visited April 2013