“Great!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #59 of 1,668 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: French, Hungarian, Italian, Bistro
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Italian –French-Hungarian Bistro cuisineTradition & Evolution Our Executive Chef, Levente Kovacs thinks this way about our cuisine:“The youthful and modern bistro cuisine is my world, it can renew day by day, it combines the gastronomic ‘lifestyle’ of different places in the world, even on one plate, in a way that, I don't use hundreds of spices with each other, but I’m trying to create exciting contrasts. I do a kind of kitchen minimal-design because simple can be great also. It causes difficulties sometimes for me to not to put all my ideas into one dish. I’m trying to use the raw materials as they were given to me by nature itself, changing only as much as I need. And then we get to a point, where simple is not so simple anymore. Ease and great tasting harmony in life, in the kitchen and on the plate.Simple is hard. Enjoy!”What else can we say? The Chess Restaurant is an intimate place in black and white, absolutely a place to get together frequently, where You can try new dishes day by day with it’s always renewing kitchen creativity, served simply and clearly.The Chess Restaurant opened, it’s Your move now!
Northern Ireland
“Great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We dined here on a Sunday evening for my husband's birthday. We were staying at the nearby Hotel Corinthia and I had found it difficult to find a nice restaurant open on the Sunday night. We were the only diners that evening and I thought we may be rushed through our meal. I need not have worried, the service was perfect. We were served complimentary drinks and appetisers which was a lovely surprise and then followed our meal which was superb and excellent value for money. Would highly recommend.

• Visited January 2013

• Greek first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Wonderful food, excellent value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We made a reservation at Chess based on reviews on this site and we weren't disappointed. The food, service and price were all excellent. The pork tenderloin was perfect with the potato doughnuts and cocoa and combiniation I had never seen before but was delicious.

The staff were attentive and really friendly. It was the perfect atmosphere for a romantic meal and the bill at the end was a delight - tremendous value and a wonderful evening. Thank you to everyone at Chess for giving us a true highlight of our stay in Budapest.

• Visited January 2013
Dallas, Texas
“International Chef, Hungarian Soul”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Chef Kovacs truly delivered an impressive and well-prepared New Years celebration. He surprised us with a variety of International styles (French, Italian, Thai) and then brought much from Hungarian cuisine to some of the courses. We enjoyed the Bolyki Egri Bikaver the famous Bull's Blood bIend from Eger. I also noticed how he incorporated fruit into some of the savory courses with nice balance. This is something that is not always done well and it added another depth of flavor to the dishes. I am going to make carpaccio with strawberries for guests at home.

I wished I had asked to meet the Chef to shake his hand, but I didn't know if in Hungary that would be considered a bit odd. The lady who ran the front was so nice I am sure she would have obliged. The outer ring area has so much to offer without the high tourist prices downtown.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Eexcellent foods, great service, unbelievable price!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

We were staying in the connecting hotel so decided to eat there on our first night. The foie gras and chestnut cake was truly excellent and unusual. The hare paprikash with ewe cheese pasta wrapped in bacon was awesome as was the chanterelle risotto. We enjoyed the meal so much that we decided to go back on our second night. The smoked trout with pepper salsa and celery potatoes was a triumph; one of the best starters i have had in a long time. The duck stew with thyme vegetables and baby beetroot risotto was nicely seasoned and filling. The chicken breast with memento peppers stuffed with pepper were simple but effective,also elegantly presented. For dessert, the white chocolate and coconut bulgar verrine was an excellent twist on classic English rice pudding (don't let my description put you off, i had it twice!). The wines were more of a mixed bag: The complementary sparkling wine with lavender syrup was surprisingly food. The Hungarian whites, a sauvignon and another i can't recall though, were underwhelming. The Hungarian Merlot though was very good, nicely balanced tanning and full of fruits. We also tried weather good dessert wine. The price for this extravagance was around 50 to 60 euro inclusive of service for 2 people. I have eaten worse quality in London and paid 4 times the price.price. We would definitely go again.

Exmouth, United Kingdom
“What a lovely meal and restuant ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

We used the trip advisor review to pick this restaurant and the map to find it , it was great , lovely surrounding, pleasant English speaking staff and the food.... my wife had the chicken I had the tenderloin steak both cooked very well and with a beer and glass of wine the bill came to 10,000 hur . We were given a complimentary welcome glass of champagne and a starter once we had ordered which was very nice. I would recommend this restaurant worth finding, it's just off the main drag