“Smile of the Day” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #34 of 1,797 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: The only true italian caffetteria in budapest!!! if you want to feel 20 minutes in italy don`t hesitate to visit us. real italian creamy strong coffee, cappuccino, latte macchiato a.s.o. starting from last june we also prepare italian pizza!!!a must for everyone!!!Come and see!!!
“Smile of the Day”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

We are never short of Italian eateries, and when you try to find a really good one, you stroll in little, narrow streets. However Caffe' Gian Mario (with duble "F"!!) is on a busy main road, in the centre of Budapest.
Not very keen on the posh, trendy places we decided to have lunch here. The place is a mix of a cafe, bistro, and grocery, where you can have a break, or a qick coffee.
We had freshly made pasta (not the dry one, out of the supermaket's shelf), what they had on daily offer. It was absolute divine. You can find pizza, salads, sweets as well on the menu, and assortments of pastries, if you choose to have a cappuccino in the morning.
The staff was really friendly, the owners came to check if everything is ok, and they treated us like we'd been there many times before. We didn't want any desserts because the pasta was just enough, yet we got a portion of Tiramisu with three spoons to share between us, and a small glass of lemon sorbet on the house as well.
I'm not sure which guy was Gian Mario, but their smile and hospitality was remarkable.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
“Sad copy of Italy”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I have been living in Budapest for 12 years. I was never enthusiastic to go to this restaurant. After reading the reviews I have decided to give a try. Now I understand why I never been there before. The service is a bit less than average, the atmosphere is far away from Italy. They attempt to copy traditional Trattorias, the result is gross and taki. I am not able to cook, but I can do the same pastas at home : no taste, no imagination. I had gnocchi four cheeses. Cheeses have italian name, I can find same at any supermarket in the lowest quality category. I ordered a glass of wine from they poor list, that was a really bad move, undrinkable. I didn't have any dessert, my friend dare to get a coffee, under average. I will never go back

• Visited August 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Budapest
“It really feels like Italy :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

As soon as you enter "Café Gian Mario" you feel like home :) The owners are warm and lovely people and you can laugh a lot with them :) and I so like that this is not just another posh Italian restaurant, but it really is a little bar and restaurant with real family atmosphere. On top of that food is excellent (my personal favourite is pizza with Parma ham and buffalo mozzarella :) ), with pizzas, pastas and delicious desserts...prices are very fair. I go there regularly and I have never been disappointed. Highly recommended!
Please note that the café is closed on Sunday and on Saturday it is open only until 4 pm.

• Visited April 2012
“A bit of Italy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

The foods are perfect, the owner very frendly. I feel myself like in Italy. They have severel fresh seafishes.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Lovely staff, lovely food, great price!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

Small restauran, 5-10min walk off the main metro/tram line, classic Italian food-pizzas, antipasti, deserts with lovely coffee and wine (unfortunately no pasta dishes). Such good vale for money-pizzas from 990forint (approx £3) for a margerita to 2000forint (approx £6) for others with more toppings and salads for aprox 1500forint (£4.50 ish) but big portions and good quality ingredients. Bread to share at the beginning, also. Staff very friendly, could speak English and we're happy to help. Overall very pleased with this meal in Budapest!