“Funtastic” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fungarian

Fungarian
Dohany u. 1., Budapest H-1051, Hungary (District VII / Jewish Quarter)
+36 20 243 5253
Website
Improve this listing
Book ahead on Viator
$67*
and up
Budapest Walking Tour and Basics of Hungarian Language Class
More attraction details
Owner description: Fun, interesting things to do in Budapest and ways to learn about Hungarian language & culture... Our Fungarian(R) classes are the perfect, relaxed way to begin your visit to Budapest. Whether you are interested in learning a few basic Hungarian words and phrases to help you learn more about the Hungarian culture or interested in one-on-one Hungarian tuition we would be delighted to help you. We are sure our Budapest city tours are the best on offer and that you will agree when you let one of our knowledgeable friendly guides show you the city. Discover Budapest's hidden highlights with a knowledgeable guide as part of your own privately guided tour.
Manchester, United Kingdom
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Funtastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We arrived in Budapest the night before and wanted to book it as soon as we arrived so we got the most out of it. It was well worth it.
Our teacher was friendly, spoke amazing English and he was able to be patient when we were struggling with some more difficult words.
We learnt loads of vocabulary and how to order a pint (a must!) he also took us through the sites and was able to give some local insight. This was really beneficial as we changed certain things and experienced things we would not have known about.

I would highly recommend this if you enjoy exploring and experiencing different cultures. Go for the 2 hour course.

Visited February 2013
miklos_12, Owner at Fungarian, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear Linda,
Thank you very much for your kind words. We especially appreciated you pun on Fungarian. Very flattering. Kind regards, miklós

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Indianapolis, Indiana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“We highly recommend Fungarian for language lessons and tours”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We contacted Fungarian for two purposes, to take language lessons and participate in one of the many interesting themed tours offered. Our email inquiries were promptly answered and times scheduled to fit our tight schedule. And when our son missed his connecting flight to meet us in Hungary and we had to cancel the first appointment, we quickly were rescheduled.
Our guide in both these activities was Miklós Molnár, the director of Fungarian. My adult son, who is fluent in several languages, wanted introductory lessons. I was skeptical that anything could be accomplished in two 90-minute sessions, but our son had a very positive experience, explaining that he learned not only the structure and rhythm, but also how to continue studying the language effectively to achieve progress quickly. He was extremely happy with his lessons and we observed his confidence communicating essential needs in Hungarian. Having stayed in Hungary for three months at a time, we know first-hand that a phrase book on its own is not very useful; just knowing how to pronounce the language is not enough. Language lessons focused on culture and etiquette, as well, which our son said was very helpful. For the tour, we chose “Time-Travel into the 80’s, Lecture and Short Tour, Life Under Communism.” Our tour also was led by Mr. Molnár. He first met us for coffee, where he began his brief history overview and explained the tour itinerary. He had numerous photos and other artifacts to support his lecture, which we found fascinating and detailed beyond what we already had read about the period or had experienced/learned at other sites and museums. We then left for the walking tour, which began in Pest and ended in Buda, a reverse on his usual tour, designed to accommodate our needs. Miklós is wicked smart, entertaining, and engaging. His knowledge extends way beyond the tour focus, as he integrated news accounts and personal stories. He answered all our questions, embedding Hungary in the global changes that occurred correspondingly. Our high expectations were well exceeded. I highly recommend Fungarian for tours and language lessons. We definitely will be calling again on our next trip to Budapest.

Visited July 2013
miklos_12, Owner at Fungarian, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Thank you very much for your detailed appreciation. I am glad your expectations were met. Actually, you inspired me a lot about developing the Communist tour placing more emphasis on the 'Now and Then' element. Without knowledge of history we can't appreciate what we have now. Hope you will visit again. Miklós
San Diego, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“SOOOO Great!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I was so glad i signed up for a 2-hour "course"...it was more of a one-on-one tutorial that included some language pointers (all very useful)and a discussion on all topics related to Hungray and budapest that I wanted to cover. The "instructor" Bolosz was a great guy who was articulate, intelligent and had a real desire to make this a wonderful experience. He was interested in finding out what was of interest to me and that made a huge difference.

I strongly recommend...I am thinking about signing up for an additional couple of hours. Its like finding an extremely informed local friend.

Visited July 2013

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

miklos_12, Owner at Fungarian, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Dear Mark,
Thank you for your kind words. What Balázs enjoyed about meeting you most was the spontaneity of restructuring our usual itinerary. Fungarian's main ambition is to provide a customer-tailored service along individual interests. Hope to see you again.
Miklós Molnár, director
Motala
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“What a day in Ecseri Market, Budapest!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

One of the best guided tours I ever been at. Milan was helpful and friendly. The tour was like going with a friend to the market on a Saturday morning. What an experience! Some old stuff I never seen before. He told us everything we asked him about and we learned more about the Hungarian way of life, also how to eat langos. Time flow too fast and we had to go back to town and we were soon forced to say goodbye at a tram stop. Thanks to Miklòs and his nephew Milán for good treatment and an unforgettable experience in Budapest.

Visited June 2013

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

miklos_12, Owner at Fungarian, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for your appreciation. I am pleased you liked Ecseri. The atmosphere is the main thing. I was thinking of recommending another flea market in the City Park (Városliget) but after visiting it I just got convinced that Ecseri is the real thing. Milán thought highly of your positive attitude and interest. Thanks. Miklós, director of Fungarian
Budapest, Hungary
“A Great Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I really enjoyed the Fungarian experience and was so pleased I booked it. The class was interesting, informative and really helped me find my feet in Budapest, understand more about the city, the Hungarian language and culture.

Visited June 2013
miklos_12, Owner at Fungarian, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for your contribution. Miklos