“Avoid” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #297 of 508 Specialty Lodging in Budapest
hyderabad
“Avoid”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

This is not a hostel, it is a house with few rooms above a bar. rooms are very small and beds are crunched in every room
beds were very old, no clean sheets...
common area is too small, you can't mingle with other guests...take this only the city is out of hostels

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Seville, Spain
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

The location of Grund Hostel is great, the building lovely and the prices low. My dorm was clean and satisfactory.

However, there is zero atmosphere. There is no kitchen/communal area to meet other guests - unless you count the enormous bar and club downstairs, which was separate from the hostel. The noise is an issue too - on my last night I was leaving to get an early train the next day and there was a club night on downstairs, so it's a jolly good job I had my earplugs.

Also, on both days I was visiting Budapest the venue was hosting a Google function all day which meant the left luggage facility was unavailable. I don't think this is acceptable for a travellers' hostel. I managed to let the staff to let me leave my laptop in the left luggage facility (quite important as there were no lockers in my room) after some gentle persuasion. In my opinion, the left luggage/security provision needs to be a permanent fixture and not thrown out of the window just because the building is being used for something else that day.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
lancashire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

Hostel grund is about two metro train journeys away from the main train station in Budapest. It is a large beer garden, with large inside bar/ nightclub. Has a good atmosphere, however it is more aimed at locals ( our second day there was a wedding party in the evening) the rooms are average and not as bad as other reviews make out, as long as your not fussy. There basic. You get wifi if your sat outside you room on this little balcony which looks down through a large glass panel onto the nightclub. The noise of the bar is a problem when trying to get to sleep so unless you are going to be partying late this is not the place. The receptionist is nice and helpful but he is the only one who will deal with you even if there is five staff behind the bar you have to wait for the receptionist to return to ask the simplest of questions that could of been answered already. Probably would not stay here again

• Stayed August 2013
Helsinki, Finland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

When I was at Grund Hostel my first reaction was "wow, what a beautiful place". But then a minute later my opinnion changed. I lived in a 4 bed dorm and all the beds was dirty and full of short black curly hairs. Outside our window there was construction work from 7 am to 16 pm. They where hammering and doing other noisy work just right outside our room and the noise was unbearable. We stayed here in august, when it gets really hot and we couldn't even open our window because of all the concrete dust in the air. The cealings was really high so the noise just echoed in our room. When we wanted to change rooms the receptionist didnt do anything. We said it to almost every person that worked there but no one did anything. They didnt even say that they were sorry. I wouldnt recomend this hostel to anyone. It is cheap to live here, but it is not worth it. I truly hate this place from the botto, of my heart.

Room Tip: DO NOT STAY IN HERE. Seriously, its a hell hole.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Seville, Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I stayed in a 5 bed mixed dorm with an ensuite. Upon arrival the bar downstairs was in full swing having arrived on a Friday night. The guy from reception took us to our room and out of the 5 beds even he could not distinguish which ones were the clean new ones, to the ones which were occupied. The locker system, has the lockers under the beds which comes with a key, my friends bed was missing the key which mean that she had to store all her things in my bed. The toilet paper was not replenished for two nights, nor were the bins emptied and the shower leaked all over the floor. Most people will choose this hostel because they are on a budget and won't pay for the metro, therefore to get to the city centre you must first walk for 40minutes. The outside seating area is really pretty in the night, but it is not worth all the downfalls to this hostel, I would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Cheap but would not recommend. Our room was dirty, damp and dingy, and was located essentially in a building site, with workmen waking us up with their tools and music at 7am. No aircon and the room was boiling even though it wasn't particularly hot weather when we were there. The bar was cheap but empty most of the time with no atmosphere. The hostel is located quite far out of town but near to a metro station so the location is okay. I'd prefer to pay a couple of quid extra per night to stay somewhere clean and with an atmosphere.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Koper, Slovenia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Last week we went to Budapest and decided to stay here because it was the cheapest and nearest for that price to the centre (20-30 minutes walking). The price was really good-> 6€ per night,and the bar outside the hostel was so cute! Everynight there was full of people,after 5 pm they were doing barbecue and there was place to play pingpong and badminton. It gets a little loud at night because of the bar,but we had earplugs and it was ok. Also the bathroom was a little bit messy.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Grund Hostel? Share your experiences!