“Horrible rip off place” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Cafe Pausa

Cafe Pausa
Liszt Ferenc ter 10, Budapest 1061 , Hungary (Terézváros)
06 1 413 0348
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,355 of 1,586 restaurants in Budapest
Neighborhood: Terézváros
Neighborhood: Terézváros
“Horrible rip off place”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

Our cocktails had no alcohol in them but not even juice. They were watery disgusting liquids. Absolutely no decoration on the glass. Shame and classless place

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

13% Recommend
London, United Kingdom
“Enjoyed this place ..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Just spent a long weekend in Budapest and actually went back to this place a second time! We found the ambiance to be really nice , cosy heaters to keep the cold away when sat outside , and a pretty good choice on the menu. This was a nice part of Budapest where there were plenty of places to eat al fresco. I am surprised to read the negative reviews as overall our experience was quite good - we even went back. The meals were decently priced , as were the drinks - the service was good and the portion size was good too. If I went back to Budapest I would definitley go and eat here again. Wifi was pretty fast too. We did also encounter the ' crdit card machine not working ' thing ! wonder what thats all about - fortunately I did have Euro which I paid with but I would have been really cheesed off it I would have had to go and withdraw money to pay the bill and come back , this is the only gripe I have about this place , they should have stated when we arrived that it was cash only.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Boston, Massachusetts
“Slow service but good pizzas”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

It seems the average customer had a worse experience than myself. I first sat with a friend in the patio area, close to midnight. It was a warm spring night, so quite cozy. The waitress arrived quickly, gave us menus, but returned after 10 minutes or so and asked if we wouldn't mind going inside the restaurant/cafe because they were required by law to close the patio area. We didn't mind, took our menus indoor and ordered beers, some shots of unicum, and pizzas. The beers and shots arrived quickly, the pizzas were a bit of a wait, but when they arrived, were very tasty. There is a service charge included, which is fine because I usually leave better tips than what added service charges are, so no problem. However, when I asked to pay by credit card, they said they didn't take credit cards, though signs on the windows showed they did accept credit cards??? What ever their reasons, probably so they can hide profits or pocket the cash under the table, we just had enough forints to pay. If I was the owner or manager of this restaurant, I would focus on training the wait staff to show a little more interest and passion with the service. I would be certain the credit card machine was ALWAYS available and ready for use. I read some bad reviews about the food, but the pizza I had, and my friend's pizza were quite good, cooked just right with interesting toppings. I would definitely come to this restaurant again because of its location and pizza, but if service continues to be slow and they ever say they don't take credit cards, I would never return after that. Hello CAFE PAUSA, I hope you are reading this...

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Limassol, Cyprus
“Very bad approach to their customers! Not professionals at all!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We went for dinner at this cafe during one of our nights in Budapest. Food was very salty. They brought us the salad which we ordered as starter, after we almost finished our main dishes. When we finally ordered the bill and told them we wanted to pay with our credit card, they decided to tell us that the card machine was not working and that we had to pay cash. The cafe is located at the most famous restaurants/cafe area in the city center, next to other restaurants and cafes and is not excused at all when they approach tourists with a PR person to convince them for the excellency of their cafe and when customers finish their dinner to announce to them at the end that their card machine is not working. If they were professionals they would tell people that their machine was not working from the beginning, before people decide to take their dinner at the cafe. As we did not have any cash with us and did not want to take money from the bank cash machine to avoid bank charges we suggested them to cut the cost of the service that was included in the bill (900 huf/ about 3 EUR) and pay them in EURO the equivalent amount.However they were not willing to cut the full amount of the service fee. This was not at all polite since their service was anyway terrible. We do not suggest this cafe... Very bad service!

Visited April 2013
Budapest, Hungary
“okeyish”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

you get what you pay for.
fried veg. very good.beef good. duck good.
service good as well.
good food, good service, to good price

• Visited March 2013