“A practical location that I came to love” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
15% off
Ranked #62 of 329 Hotels in Budapest
Cincinnati, Ohio
“A practical location that I came to love”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

For my first stay in Budapest, I have to say at first I wasn't sure what to expect from the Marriott Courtyard's location. As I arrived on a sleepy sunday afternoon from the airport, it seemed to my uninitiated eyes that hotel was situated in yet another sleepy zone of the city. It wasn't until I ventured out of the hotel and I started plotting a course to the "old city" (the historic city), I realized how wrong I was about the livelihood of the district.

For starts the Marriott is very close to the red line of the Metro. A city tram literally runs directly in front of the hotel too. There are plenty of restaurants in the vicinity of hotel including a prominent McDonalds that looms over the square where the Metro station is. Alternatively in about twenty to thirty leisurely minutes one can walk to city center and riverfront. Along the way there are some Tesco supermarkets, a Spar supermarket, and numerous shops if you wish to bring back things to stuff into the room's mini fridge.

The hotel presents itself nicely from the lobby. The space is spacious and inviting with a well stocked snack shop too. My room on the 5th floor was definitely tight. It was fine for the solo traveler but with two the space would have definitely been at a premium. Part of the problem was that not only was the room limited in space but that there was an L-shape to the room which made navigating a bit tricky. On the flip side the desk area was "around the corner" from the bed so it created a bit of privacy. The internet speed was great. Oddly enough the bathroom wasn't stocked with any hand moisturizer which seems a bit odd. It struck me a bit cheeky of the hotel to skimp on that.

I slept really soundly. My room (i think it was 581?) faced inwards towards the hotel itself. Included was a really nice balcony too that would have been very useful in warmer weather. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to use the hotel gym or eat at the hotel restaurant.

There are very high end hotels in the city center that have stunning river views. The Courtyard is really extremely accessible to the river-side attractions but the hotel is situated in an area that seems to be less dominated by tourists. I quickly came to appreciate this type of location. Plus the walk to/from the city center offered ample chance to window shop and make a mental list of eateries and bars I'd like to swing by whenever I'm back in Budapest next.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Ferenc H, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Budapest City Center, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Thank you for your recent review, detailing the wonderful experience you encountered with us here at Courtyard by Marriott Budapest City Center.
Thank you once again and we do hope to welcome you back in the future.

Kindest regards,
Ferenc Horvath

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Bern, Bern, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Friendly welcome at the reception desk, top room with top equipment and the breakfast a real dream - I leave without any open wishes.
I was offered a room to the inner courtyard and had a peaceful and calm night.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent review with regards to your stay with us.

I am most pleased to read that you found our service levels to be of the highest standard and your overall experience to have reached your expectations.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

I have just returned from a 3 night stay at the hotel with my husband and was very pleased overall with the hotel. Having read the reviews I had high expectations of the hotel and I wasn't disappointed. We were given a room facing into the courtyard (middle of the hotel) on the 6th floor, this had a view over the hotel to the tops of the buildings and we could see the New York Restaurant which was pretty nice specifically at night.

The room was large with a big bed and decent sized bathroom with great shower. Mini bar that you can stock from the market hall downstairs (although this was significantly more expensive that buying from the supermarket) and flat screen tv. It was good to see an English channel (other than the news) BBC entertainment which had a good variety of programme's which kept us entertained in the evening. The hotel was so quiet and as we were not on the main street you couldnt hear a pin drop. Only one thing was that the room was very warm, and even with the air con set at cool it didn't really help that much.

We had breakfast at the hotel, and this was good but very similar everyday. I didnt have a problem with this as choice was wide enough to have something different every day if you wanted it. Nice lobby area in the hotel where you could use WIFI for free. No WIFI in the room's, but this was not a problem for us as we used it in the main hotel areas when we needed it. The staff at the hotel are very friendly and helpful, and we were able to buy tickets from them and ask for information on where to go etc...this was useful.

The hotel is on the main boulevard, and plenty of bars, restaurants and shops around the area. The bars in particular were very cheap and plenty of take away options, kebabs, pizza, McDonalds, Burger King, KFC and subway basically everything you could think of. There is a tram and metro station outside the hotel aswell and we used the metro frequently as it was so efficient and easy to navigate around. We bought a Budapest 48 hour card which gave us unlimited travel but more economical to just buy the 3 day travel card.

We managed to get right around the city in the few days we were there, and would recommend the following -
1) Free Budapest Walking Tours (find them on here and Facebook) tip based tours from local guides. We did the general tour, but there is also a communism and Jewish tour as well as a night bar tour. These run every day and not to be missed.
2) Legenda Boat Tour - We did the evening cruise and this was lovely and worth the money
3) Szechenyi Thermal Spa - Only spa on the pest side located in city park - what an experience - not to be missed

We absolutely loved Budapest, and if you pick this hotel you wont go far wrong,comfortable, affordable, high quality and great location!

Room Tip: If you want a view pay for the city view but be mindful of the potential street noise. For a good...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am so glad that you enjoyed your time with us and you plan on staying with us again. We hope to see you again soon!

Petah Tiqva, HaMerkaz, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

the hotel is beautiful.the staff are so kind/ the foods really good.the rooms are so large and everythings just perfact.we evev had a lunch in the restaurant in the hotel the food was out of this world.

Room Tip: always check out the rooms on the internet and then you can make up youre mind
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for sharing your experince with us! I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again soon!

Warm regards,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

Great location right in the city centre. It's a nice and clean hotel presented well and all the staff are so polite. It's about 20-25 mins from airport!! But the only 1 thing which disappointed us was the breakfast! Everyday we had to eat same breakfast they did not have a slight variety or change any of the items on the breakfast menu and as we are vegetarian it was very limited choice and option! Otherwise the rest of our stay at the hotel was great!! You must try the berry infusion at the bar very tasty and refreshing!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
I sincerly appreciate your time with regards to placing a review about your recent stay with us here at Courtyard by Marriott Budapest City Center.
I must also take this opportunity to apologise with regards to the experience you had at breakfast.
I have shared your comments with the Food and Beverage team, who will be placing a focus on service levels during breakfast from now on.

I do hope we get an opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

liverpool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

We stayed here because we thought we would try the pest side of Budapest. We arrive early and we're able to go straight to the room nice big room, bed and bathroom. Metro and tram is almost outside the door and very frequent after our first night out we decided to have a drink at the hotel bar the
Member of staff who served me is the worst member if staff I have come across in the hotel industry it started because we choose the hot drink special he started moaning banging things because he had to do some work. For the hotel manager this lad is the one with the massive mole on his chin. Breakfast is great self service plenary to choose from and good quality. This hotel has a market concept which means the minibar is empty and you can fill it with what you want although it's not cheap. This hotel has a good fitness suite and a nice sauna and steam room. Free wifi in the lobby but you can get a full signal in the restaurant. We asked for two drinks again on our last day we waited over an hour still didn't get them as you can tell it was the lad with the mole. It's such a shame that this one person has let down the whole staff who are very welcoming and helpful. Will I stay here again yes because if it's location and value for money.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I would like to greatly apologize for your disappointment with your stay. I would hope that you would try and stay with us again when your travels bring you back to Budapest.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

I would try not to stay here again. The A/C barely worked. We complained several times but it was never fixed adequately. The bed was hard as a rock, and I had to ration the soap and towels apparently because there were never enough. We had to call a couple of times to get more brought to the room.

Contrary to other comments we thought the staff was friendly and location was sufficient. We walked everywhere and never felt unsafe.

I would try not to stay here again beacause I expected a little more from the room.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Ferenc H, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Budapest City Center, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your recent stay at Courtyard by Marriott Budapest City Center.
It is regrettable that your visit with us did not fulfil your expectations.
We strive to provide a warm and genuine service to all of our guests.
It is therefore disappointing to read about your experience as it is evident we could have done a much better job in this regards.

Please do let me know should you return to Courtyard by Marriott Budapest City Center so that I can personally ensure you will have a most enjoyable visit.

Kind regards,

Ferenc Horvath

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Budapest City Center? Share your experiences!