“Sad attempts to get money out of people” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Aranybarany

Aranybarany
Harnincad utca 4, Budapest, Hungary (District V / Inner City)
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,513 of 1,990 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: European, Hungarian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: District V / Inner City
Description: Close to the Kempinski Hotel
Barcelona, Spain
“Sad attempts to get money out of people”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

We entered only because we saw that it was 50% off for lunch. Though, if you add the 10% service fee - which of course is not included - and the higher prices tha stated outside, you might as well go eat for twi for the price you pay for one person here! Okay, if you want some more expensive food with historical blablabla around it, this is your place. But as it seems, these are not the people they're attracting by their '995 ft' for goulash promotions outside... we paid 3600 ft for two plates of goulash and 2 softdrinks - in my opinion too much for the arrogant service. The food was good though, so maybe if you dont mind spending a bit more, you might have a nice meal here... decoration is nice too!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere

UK
“Surprisingly Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I went to this restaurant as it was close to my hotel. I normally scope hotels using Trip Advisor as my main research tool prior to a visit but on this occasion I acted on impulse. Having read some of the previous reviews I must say I am surprised because my experience was a positive one. In fact had I researched this restaurant using TA then it is 'very' likely I would have gone elsewhere. Maybe that in itself is a lesson for me!!

The atmosphere was ok and part way through we were joined by muisicians. To be honest they did not 'add any value' to the experience.

The food was good and my wife and I enjoyed our meals very much - see photographs. In fact had we been in the City longer it is very likely we would have paid another visit.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Typical Hungarian food & atmosphere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

The interesting menu gives ancient "stories" to introduce you to some of the meals. I had the goose liver with apple & potato strudel - fantastic taste & presentation. My partner had a Transylvanian grill - disappointing, just like any other grilled meat platter.
The waiter was attentive and the musicians were delightful.
However, beware when paying, as there is a service charge of 10% that is added to the bill and our waiter seemed to assume our change (another 10%) was his!

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Typical Hungarian beside the British Embassy in the heart of Budapest and it was as good as it gets.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

This is a small place with a very interesting menu including such things as goose leg (which I ordered ) and venison and a typical band playing inside. We sat outside and watched Hungarian Daniel Gyurta win a gold medal in the men's breast stroke and a great cheer went up. The service was excellent and not pushy. We were given recommendations only after we asked for them. The goose leg was excellent accompanied by potato dumplings and cabbage and my partner pronounced his pork rib very good as well. We had a nice bottle of Hungarian red wine and the total of the bill was very reasonable compared to the restaurants by the Danube where we had eaten the previous night. Would recommend this place for a typical experience. Service was good too.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Oradea
“great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

they have happy hour between 12-16 every day, o you get the food at half of the price. Be aware that the drinks are not reduced by 50%, so those are going to cost you more than the actual food.
Great food and a little bit weird service...

Visited June 2012