“Didn't think I'd ever be staying in a hotel like this!” 5 of 5 stars

Continental Hotel Zara Budapest
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Dohany u. 42 - 44, Budapest 1074, Hungary   |
Ranked #29 of 329 Hotels in Budapest
Reading
“Didn't think I'd ever be staying in a hotel like this!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010

This hotel is wonderful. I've been writing this review for nearly half an hour now and nothing I've come up with has done full justice to this hotel. The staff are attentive and smiley but not OTT, the room clean, smart and contemporary and the breakfast is definitely not good for the waistline!

I've seen previous comments about the rooms being small which is true however it was perfectly adequate for 2 tall people for a 4 night break. The bed was comfortable, there was plenty of cupboard space and as I've said before the room was spotlessly clean.

I was a little concerned that breakfast time might be a bit of a free-for-all (having read previous reviews). This was not the case. Breakfast was relaxed and plentiful even on the Saturday and Sunday mornings. One criticism here - fried eggs should be hot!

The upstairs bar is a good place to people watch from and makes a change from sitting in a characterless hotel lobby.

The staff all spoke good English and were very helpful. There was a nice relaxed feel to the whole hotel.

We thoroughly enjoyed our time in Budapest and the hotel was a huge factor in that.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Zara Budapest, responded to this review, December 16, 2010
Dear Lizzy_Z750,
I am so grateful for your review, since you do not seem to be a "professional" reviewer (.."I writning this review for nearly half an hour.."), but you took the time to summarize and share all your experiences on TripAdvisor, since you thought it must be important to know the readers that the size of the rooms are not small and the breakfast is not always busy. I do not know in what type of room you stayed (I assume in a standard room).We have three more room types according to their sizes and the services offered. Currently we are re-designing 25 standard rooms into corporate rooms. In busy days we even open the Galery Cafe for breakfast avoiding guest dissatisfaction. Fried eggs are not anymore cold - thank you for the calm warning!
Looking forward to welcoming you again to our Continental Hotel Zara! Best regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Copenhagen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2010

Our family visited the beautiful city of Budapest in August and stayed at the beautiful Continental Hotel Zara. The hotel has a great and central location in a former bath establishment, close to a main street with taxi cabs and buses and there is also a trolleybus going just outside the hotel, but the noise from the traffic never reach the hotel. There is a great and fairly cheap restaurant in the hotel named Araz, they have reallty good food and drinks. If you ever get tired of Hungarian food, there is a small italian restaurant close by the hotel which we also could recommend! It is really one of the very best hotels that we have ever stayed at!! The spa and swimming pool on the top floor is just splended!! Though, we were a bit disappointed. The spa is ment to be a place of tranquility, according to the hotel, but many young Italian "rich kids" acted extreemely bad at the spa. Being rude, talking down to other guests, shouting and staring at other guests, making it very uncomfortable for other guest. Also in the evening in the restaurant the Italian "rich kids" acted bad again. The hotel staff just told us "C´est la vie", it was the Italian holiday season so many Italians go to Budapest. It was just sad to see, because we know that not all Italians are like this. I myself travel a lot and often stay at or visit hotels. This hotel had excellent rooms, excellent service from all staff, house keeping, bar, restaurant and reception/front desk and excellent food/drinks!! Both my family and I were very satisfied with our experience of the Continental Hotel Zara!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Zara Budapest, responded to this review, November 28, 2010
Dear Rednavillo,
i read full satisfaction in your review despite of the behavior of the Italian kids (it was a big family with friends). I apologize for their behavior and for not being able to discipline them properly. This is why there is a need to return to Continental Hotel Zara enjoying your stay under much more pleasant conditions.Regardless of this incident I am very grateful for your review and overall scoring.
Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2010

The continental Zara hotel is one of the most gorgeous hotels I've ever stayed at with the most amazing friendliest staff !!

The rooms are amazing the design is just wonderful and the rooms are clean.
The beds are comfy and the bathroom is superb , some people might find it a little on the small side but I thought that , that was the charm of it all.
There is a small TV in the room which is nice but not many English channels I would recommend getting BBC1 / 2 or ITV for the leisure travellers.

The breakfast was really nice and very good .

The hotel is located in the Jewish area the Great Synagogue is located 5 min walk from the hotel and from there it is an additional 5 to the Deak Square in the Center of Town.

I wouldn't recommend people who are travelling alone to walk alone around that area of town.But taxi's are easy to find.

I would like to thank all the staff for a most welcoming stay.

I do have a suggestion or two for the hotel:

1. When people check in ask them if they are interested in roomservice and give them the menu and the same for the price list for the spa treatments.

2. In the breakfast hall try to make sure the 'hot foods ' such as eggs, bacon ext are warm because I had a cold fried egg and didn't mind but I'm sure some people would not appriciate cold eggs .

For the rest I definitely recommend this hotel for anyone who wants to relax in a design hotel and explore the gorgeous city of Budapest.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Dear Melihoneybee,
many thanks for your detailed and precise review. I was glad reading how much you enjoyed your stay with us. I took note of your suggestions re room service recommendation upon check in. I was very dissappointed hearing of the cold eggs and bacons which must be a exceptional failure. We will pay more attention to the control of the temparature of our chafings. Thank you for calling my attrention to it.
Hopefully you will have the possibility to return to us to enjoy our hospitality.
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2010

There are SO MANY GREAT things about this hotel, it's going to be hard to refrain from adjectives and stick to facts that will help you.

The title of this review spells out clearly how we feel.

The place is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!

The staff ... Oh my God, the staff! .... If you have ever stayed at a Four Seasons hotel you know and understand their level of service. Well, you would not think possible but Hotels Zara's staff is every bit as good, if not better.

EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE is UNBELIEVABLY professional, courteous, impeccably attired.

Hotel Zara uses their own fleet of taxi's (Mercedes-Benz's). NEVER be afraid to have the front desk get one for you. You will never be taken advantage of.

We were privileged to have met and spoken to the General Manager, Mr. ZOLTAN GEHER. A true professional with a passion for his hotel. He took great pride in telling us that within two months of the hotel's opening in June of 2010, they were and have been at over 91% capacity. In a city with hundreds of fine hotels that, is quite an accomplishment. Thank you Mr. Geher. It was an honor and pleasure to have met you. We hope to see you again. And my wife and I hope you take us up on our offer of you visiting us and staying at our home?

There is a young man at the front desk whose name I must mention, Mr. GABOR NYERGES. What a professional. ALWAYS with a smile and warm greeting. ALWAYS eager to be of assistance. THANK YOU GABOR!!!! We appreciate you very much. And we wish you GREAT SUCCESS. To be truly successful in the Hospitality Industry you must possess, looks, manners, refinement, intelligence, a passion to be of service, impeccable appearance and poise. You, young sir, have them ALL. Please stay in touch with us. We would love to hear how your career is growing as time passes. Again GABOR, THANK YOU!

Now for what you want to know, the hotel:
ROOMS - Beautiful, gorgeous, comfortable, and on and on. Cleanliness - Beyond expectations. We stayed in room #627. Amenities galore!
BREAKFAST - Here comes another adjective, UNBELIEVABLE. Anything you could possibly want. And what a job the staff does. Chafing dishes are always full.
LOCATION - We loved it. We were in a "neighborhood". Surrounded by restaurants and pubs. Easy access to everything.
SPA - YOU MUST INCLUDE THIS IN YOU ITINERARY!!!! Sauna's, jacuzzi, indoor and outdoor pools, locker rooms, showers, mineral water, fruit, and the list of massages and body treatments are OUTSTANDING!
PRICING - GREAT, GREAT, GREAT VALUE - Including, room rates, restaurant, cafe/lounge, spa treatments, cab rates.

Okay, I believe you know how we feel. Thank you for reading. And THANK YOU ALL CONTINENTAL HOTEL ZARA.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Zara Budapest, responded to this review, November 20, 2010
Dear FidaAndTony,
I feel so happy, that we could meet during your stay with us and had the opportunity to personally listen your experiences with us. This is the reason why I believe that all your comments are coming from your heart and are very serious observations from an experienced traveller with 41 (!!!) contributions on Tripadvisor. Be ensured our Gabor will receive his well deserved praise. Reading such reviews me and the entire staff are very much motivated to continue serving our guests on a high level. A BIG THANK YOU and looking forward to your return.
Kindest regards,
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

Perfect place to stay if you plan on exploring the city. Subway and trams are within 5 minutes walk and the Danube is a leisurely 20 minute stroll. Rooms are on the small side, but the deal we got through Expedia was very reasonable. Bathrooms are bit tricky, especially the shower, but all fine given the price. One gripe was the mini-bar/fridge; this was not working upon arrival, and despite giving the front desk notice and receiving assurances the problem would be fixed, it never was during our eight night stay. Take your bathing gear as both the indoor and outdoor pool were worth a visit. Breakfast was good, although my companion didn't like the way the eggs were cooked (typical American!!). The refurbishment of what was a bath house is pretty spectacular and sitting on the rooftop deck or atrium must be wonderful in warm weather. Just the lobby was pretty cool in itself. There's a handy 24-hour convenience market just a couple of minutes away on Dohany, perfect for a late bottle of wine or munchies. This is a great place for a fun vacation.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Zara Budapest, responded to this review, November 14, 2010
Dear Loanheidyin,
I appreciate your fair review with some valubel remarks, like the size of the standard room. For your information, we however provide higher category rooms for a small premium. I hereby apologize for ignoring your report on the minibar. Corrective actions are in place already. Thnaks for sharing some igames of the hotel with the readers!
Looking forward to welcoming you again! Best regards,
Gdansk, Poland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

The reception area is superb. The rooms & restrooms are very nice decorated and the quality of the execution is superb. Congratulation for who choose this quality materials and more for who done the finishing. BUT: If you want to sit down , to work on a PC and you already used the only one ... a kind of stool to put there your luggage ... bad luck. Or you put your luggage on the floor and you stay on the stool or you stay in bed with the PC in your arms. The breakfast is by far lower the general hotel level plus the coffee is horrible.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear miaku,
many thanks for your review and in general quite good scores. Wish we had known that you need more space and a more comfortable room, probably we could satisfy you, since we have 4 categories of rooms with different sizes. We are currently in the process to convert 35 standards rooms into business rooms what changes will definitely eliminate such lacks. Since we have changed the coffee in our breakfast room we did not experience any complaints, which certainly does not necessarily means that the quality of it is satisfactory for everybody. Anyway thank you for speeking up, I will pay attention to the coffee as of now again.
Nottingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2010

I was delighted with the Continental hotel Zara from the moment we walked into its grand entrance. The rooms were lovely, very clean and quiet. The roof top view was amazing especially from the roof top outdoor pool! I also used the gym facilities and, although it was a bit hot down there, the equipment was similar to any gym. The staff were really helpful and friendly (they even found some jewellery I left and are returning it to me). I strongly recommend this hotel to anyone, it is very close to the main tourist attractions in Pest and close to the 'Hop on Hop off' bus route which takes you to Buda as well as public transport links. If you can get the deal we did from Expedia (£300 for 4 nights, including flights!), this hotel is a bargain!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Dear NottighamClaire,
what can I add to such a nice review? Nothing, just thank for it. It is good to read that we are not working for vain, our goal is to satusfy all of our clients. I hope your scores, review and recommendation will make a lot of potential guests book Continental Hotel Zara.
Again, many thanks and look forward to welcoming you again! Best regards,

Been to Continental Hotel Zara Budapest? Share your experiences!