“A lovely positioned hotel but has it's faults....” 3 of 5 stars

Continental Hotel Zara Budapest
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Dohany u. 42 - 44, Budapest 1074, Hungary   |
Ranked #33 of 332 Hotels in Budapest
Amsterdam
“A lovely positioned hotel but has it's faults....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

My husband and I have just returned from a 5 day/4 night stay at the Zara Continental Hotel in Budapest.

Whilst the hotel has been beautifully renovated, and you see the before and after pictures, it appears on the surface to be well-appointed, we felt that there were a few faults that need highlighting.

Firstly, the bedrooms were beautifully furnished. Fault 1: as big as a postage stamp. Neither myself or my husband are very tall in height or width, yet we had issues with walking around the bed, and moving around the room. To say there was any free floor space, is a understatement. The wardrobe could barely hold any clothes, and there was no other storage space avaiable. Therefore, we left 2 suitcases, one on the luggage rack and one under the dressing table unpacked for the duration of our stay. This made walking out of either side of the bed quite difficult. I bruised my legs several times from knocking myself on the jutting out corners of the bed.

Again the bathroom was so tiny - that you felt suffocated if you stayed in there too long. A shower cubicle - no complaints here - though I did flood the bathroom the 1st day. The toilet directly faced the shower and there was no room around the sink area to put our toiletry bags - let alone empty the contents out.

Having done may city trips in the past, you are always fore-warned about small hotel rooms in Paris, NYC, Rome..... and we were not expecting this at at 4 star hotel.

Secondly, the breakfast. On the first day we went for breakfast, and waited 15 minutes to find a clean and empty table - clean I emphasize here. The waiters in the breakfast lounge never appeared to clear the tables - either when a table was vacation by hotel guests or removed dirty plates (when you did manage to find a table). By the time we found a table, we had to wait a further 15 minutes to get the table cleared despite repeatidly asking a waiter to do this, and then had to ask several waiters to wipe the table clean or provide us with clean crockery to eat with. This issue continued throughout our stay.

The breakfast buffet was of wide-variety but everytime they came to replenish the stock - such as fresh fruit platters - it appeared that everyone in the dining room was ready to pounce to get the food!!! There usually was a large queue at the 2 coffee/water machines which was a bit annoying too.

Thirdly, we had booked a romatic dinner at the Citadella one evening, and asked the hotel to order us a taxi. We asked how much this would be and when we got a price, it differed between everyone. Several people were asked but no-one knew. The doorman asked the taxi, and then told us the price, by the time, we got into the taxi, the price changed again. The journey there ended up being triple the amount of what we paid when we took a taxis back to the hotel after dinner. This was later reported to the hotel management but they just shrugged their shoulders.

The hotel had a well-apointed, although small spa area, indoor and outdoor (roof) pools, and gym. Towels were provided for guests. We used these facilities quite frequently.

We found the hotel in a good location - though you had to walk 10 minutes or so, once you got your bearings to the nearest metro station - and we walked to most places quite easily. The hotel was very quite - no late night traffic driving past the hotel at all hours - though our room faced an inner courtyard.

Maybe they should have designed the dining room better as they obviously couldn't cope when the hotel was full and maybe they should have designed that the bedroom was larger. The bedroom was only fit for sleeping in and if we came back to relax after a day sight-seeing before going back out to dinner, we felt it wasn't very relaxing as due to lack of space and how warm it always was.

As I said over all the hotel is lovely but these small glitches spoilt some part of an otherwise thoroughly enjoyable stay at the hotel. I certainly wouldn't recommend the hotel to someone who suffers from claustraphobia.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Zara Budapest, responded to this review, November 1, 2010
Dear Ms. Elizabeth Zwaaf,
I was not too happy reading your critics on the size of the room and on the breakfast. It might been overlooked, that we provide four categories of room types as per size nad services. I agree that a standard room for two people - and for 5 days - especially staying a lot in the room during the day is really small. If we would have know it we could change it for a bigger one with a minimal supplement. We have rooms with such spacious bathrooms where bath tub and even seperate shower is available.
I also agree, that the brekafast room is sometime very crowded. If the hotel is full and - mostly on weekends - most of the guests have breakfast after 9 o'clock, we hard really hardly scope with it.
I was on the other hand very delighted to read that you were overall very satisfied with Continental Hotel Zara and will recommend it. Many thanks for it and look forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2010

This is a new opened hotel, it misses a few beats, but over all great staff nice rooms, some problems, on dirty section of city street leave much to be hoped for in rough looking people and liter, but it is center and just two blocks from New York Cafe a must see in Budapest, another problem their food restaurant and breakfast, stinks, redone buffet and their restaurant over priced rat, avoid it, go Hungry, better yet go to the New York cafe, good Italian next door, hotel was only suppose to be open 5 or 6 months. but hallways and hallway carpet look old and used, rooms are great small bathrooms, they post internet free, when I asked were was their business center I had to wait for a laptop ?????

I recommend this hotel but at price we paid 400 UR 5 nights including taxes, fees breakfast worth that.

Concierge staff tried hard, but really was just the desk clerk on the end, nice people thought, the best thing they set up private tour with City Tours, Budapest email mrnilst.onle.hu and we met Baracsi Istvan who we called Sephen.... the best, most reasonable priced private tours we ever took with a great english speaking driver guide in a private car not van, who understoo history we did Budapest proper and then outside to the Bend and more, don't miss that, they should hang their cab drivers one hustled me out of money doing a switch and bait, greasy hair thug, Budapest great!

Dear ANJOEBOSTON,
thanks for your high scores on the location of the hotel although you had some sarcastic expressions on it. I appreciate your compliments on the staff too. What your critisism is concerned, we are certainly aware of the stains and spots on some walls although we have repainted them already. We have decided to cover all the walls with wall paper and this work has already started.
I would be pleased to react on your words on our restaurant but in lack of facts I cannot. In order to improve we need feedbacks, but until now we had no complaints on the quality of the food neither during breakfast nor lunch or dinner.
Many thnaks for your recommendation and look forward to your next visit. Best regards,
The Hague, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2010

I visited Budapest with a friend just for a weekend trip. The Hotel Zara was above and beyond what I expected. Top of the line rooms, great service, and the rooftop pool, sauna etc was brilliant. The breakfast was very good.

Room was spacious, comfortable beds, and the shower and bath was well-designed and plenty big enough.

It's less than a 10 minute walk to the Synagogue and you can easily grab one of the hop on hop off bus services that depart from near there. The hotel were happy to organise a taxi to pick us up from the airport, and we simply charged it to the room account; and the same for when we departed.

Fabulous hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Zara Budapest, responded to this review, October 17, 2010
Dear Nades_38,
I was delighted to read how satisfied you were with the facitilitis and services of Continental Hotel Zara. Please retain your nice memories and return to Continental Hotel Zara as soon as possible.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2010

This is a smart looking hotel Staff O.K Food in Dinning room good and a fair price but menu did not change in the 10 days we were there. Breakfast plentiful but a bit chaotic because the large bus trips that seem to come and stay one night. Quality of food good not very many tables for 2 even at dinner and they always seem to want you to share a table. We had booked a superior room and this would have been O.K. for a couple of days but not big enough for 10 days so we changed to a deluxe which was a decent size. The rooms facing the courtyard overlooked a lot of other rooms. The bathrooms are quite small but more than adequate and very clean. face cloths and small amount of toiletries which were replaced when totally empty. The area outside is a bit rundown but next corner is a good Italian and a few doors up a decent Indian Everything is easy to get to with Trams passing the hotel and the metro a very short distance away. I would stay again if i had the misfortune to have to go to Budapest again

Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Dear Pattbb,
I was happy reading your posted review which was in general very positive. I can imagine that during 10 days the menu can be boring in our restaurant although we offer two different menus for lunch each day. I must admit too, that in certain periods the breakfast room can be too busy despite the several actions we did in order to avoid crowd. It is really hard to handle such a situation if the majority of the cilents have breakfast between 9 and 10. Thanks God we have a range of room types to satisfy the needs of our guests and you spoke up for a change avoiding dissatisfaction. Looking forward to your return!
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2010

When questioned on why do we have executive room in the first floor was informed by hotel staff " Balint" that they " cannot take care of all their guests" Inquiry about the whereabouts of their reservation manager Adam ( spoken to him before booking hotel) was told he is sleeping at home !- Irresponsible and rude staff.

Was assured that the executive room is very good- a bed and just enough space to walk around. No bathtub and the shower stall enough to squeeze in !

There are better hotels at Budapest at that price with more hospitable staff. Do not stay here.

Dear Travel_102010,
I can imagine how frustrating it could be to have a downgrade instead of receiving your reserved executive room. I really apologize for this mistreatment of your reservation. I can understand that after such an unpleasant start the precise composition is essential in the communication and my colleague could not properly express himself, so I am really sorry for that and I can ensure you that corrective actions are already in place.
Please accept again my apologies and give us a chance to proove that our mission is to provide high quality service to your guests. Please contact me directly.
Portsmouth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

We really enjoyed our stay a this hotel. We had a superior room with city view. (not much of a view we faced a hostel and a few shops)
The wellness area on the 7th floor is really nice. The inside pool is quite cold and takes a few laps before you get adjusted to the temperature. The outside pool is heated and is great. We were out there one evening in the rain and loved it!

The hotel bar is reasonably priced and one large and one small lager was around 1140huf we found the local bars charged about 800huf. The hotel bar often had a free bowl of peanuts on each of the tables which was good as there were no free snacks given at any of the local bars.

The hotel is situated just off one of the main streets. It's about a 15 minute walk to the Danube. We ate at restaurants recommended in our guide books and each evening we walked to each restaurant which took around 10-15 minutes and we never felt concerned about our safety.

There is a Tesco and a Spar nearby on the main street.

We did an evening dinner cruise on the Danube which was quite nice (there was a leaflet advertising this in the hotel lobby)

We spent some time at Szechenyi Baths. We chose this as they do not seperate men and women. We had a great time. We booked these tickets and a cabin at the hotel and they gave us a voucher. There were two different entrances at the baths, the first entrance we went to we were told to go to the other entrance outside and round the front. We were given wrist bands and we were given seperate private changing cubicles . We spent 4 hours at the baths and completely enjoyed it!

We found that most people in budapest spoke English. We bought a book of 10 single travel tickets from the metro station (this can't be bought from the machine only at the booth) these can be used on the metro, tram and bus.

We recommend visting Memento Park which is a 25 minute bus journey and there didn't seem to be anything else other than this though. You will need to get a tram and then a bus. The buses get very busy and people were quite polite and mostly gave up their seats to the elderly. there was a direct bus provided by the park but we thought this was expensive and decided to use our travel tickets!

It clearly said in our guide books not to go into any bars that don't advertise the price of their beers as you can get overcharged . We sat outside one bar on a cold wet day next to their heat lamp and ordered one large and one small lager. We ended up with a 3Litre glass of lager and 1Litre glass of lager which was huge and we were presented with a 4000huf bill and we felt we were overcharged by quite a lot. This only happened to us once and it was the only time we didn't check the prices before sitting down.

We loved Budapest.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Zara Budapest, responded to this review, October 16, 2010
Dear FamilyGuyGirl,

Many thanks for your detailed precise description on the facilities and location of Continental Hotel Zara. Readers have the opportunity to get an almost full picture of the hotel and Budapest, like in a guide book. I hope your positive review help the readers selecting Continental Hotel Zara during their stay in Budapest. Thank you for it and see you again!
Cancun, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

My wife and I just back from a week stay at this hotel and we had a great time. Please note that this hotel has only been open for a few months but, they have experience of other hotels in the area and all went smooth. Check in was fast and they wisked us up to our room. The room was complete and decorated very nice and we had a king size bed. The room itself was small, and we tried to upgrade but the hotel was completely booked, but we really did'nt mind. The hotel staff were pleasant and all spoke good English and gave us some great recomendations for restaraunts. Breakfast was included and they had a well rounded buffett with many options, (did'nt like the automatic coffee machine) and all waiters and waitresses were trying their best to make everything perfect. We had dinner twice at the hotel and it was very good with great wine selections. We also enjoyed the lobby bar after treking around all day, it was nice to come back and have a few cocktails before we went out for dinner in a very nice and comfortable and elegant bar area. The hotel itself was centraly located which was great to just get off the bus or metro and 2 minutes you are at the hotel. All in all I have absolutly no problem recommending this hotel and if we ever get back to this beautiful city we will definately stay there

Dear Wiljor,

it was good reading your review that despite the size of the superior room you enjoyed your stay with us. Many thanks for understanding that the hotel was full when you arrived, this is why we were unable to change your room to a deluxe or executive room. Taking two times dinner in our restaurant means for me that you had a great time in our ARAZ Restaurant right after your cocktails in our Cafe, in an elegant and nice environment. Hopefully your recommendation will help welcoming plenty of demanding clients to our Continental Hotel Zara including you again!

Been to Continental Hotel Zara Budapest? Share your experiences!