“Fab hotel but beware of service charge!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Continental Hotel Zara Budapest

You added Continental Hotel Zara Budapest to your Saves list
Continental Hotel Zara Budapest
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Dohany u. 42 - 44, Budapest 1074, Hungary (Erzsébetváros)   |
Ranked #29 of 329 Hotels in Budapest
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Fab hotel but beware of service charge!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights from 30th Sept to the 4th Oct. The hotel itself is really beautiful, a blend of the old spa building with the newer area where the bedrooms are. The part which has been restored has been done extremely well. The concierge were extremely helpful when we arrived giving us lots of information and were very friendly.

The rooms are nice and modern and agree with others on here that there not the biggest but when your in a vibrant a city as Budapest your not going to be sitting in your room that much now are you?! The bathroom is also nice and modern the only problem being is the shower is quite low and my boyfriend is 6ft 3 so he had to duck down while in it. Was fine for me though!(im only 5ft 6)! We were on a room only board which suited us fine. There is plenty places to get breakfast all over the city. We just wanted to get out and about early.

The only problem we had with the hotel was the restaurant. On our second night in Budapest there was a really big thunderstorm so we decided to eat in the hotel. It's a really nice room and feels quite elegant but I'm sorry the food just didn't feel worth the money. Our starters were much nicer than our mains. I went for duck ragout linguini and my partner had goulash soup. Both very tasty. We both had beef as mains, mine the fillet his the roast beef. The beef I had was quite nice but my partners was dry. There was also no greenery on the plate or any kind of sauce apart from caramelised onions and a plum chutney or something. Just felt all in all too dry. I had a dessert apple tart ok but nothing special. The wine was good but my glass was dirty and had to be sent back. The thing that was the biggest gripe was that when we asked for our bill the waiter brought it over and said clearly to my partner there is no service charge on this. Strangely there was two bills stapled together. The one on the top said the food then the price the one underneath had food and service charge. I just don't feel it's acceptable to say there was no service charge when there clearly was? I always tip if I think it's worth it but its like he was trying to trick us. When my partner inquired the waiter almost laughed at him. Just bad manners. I understand most service charge is added on in Budapest and then you tip separately which I did in all other restaurants in Budapest. Needless to say no tips left here.

If your looking for nice food Bohemia restaurant on Liszt Ferenc is really good. The Wiener schnitzel is huge! Also the Italian over the road from the hotel are both really nice. And if you fancy a cool bar head to Szimpla Kert a few streets away from the hotel. Such a hip place! The concierge will direct you. And New York Cafe is worth going in for a look around! Amazing building!

So all in all great hotel, just restaurant letting it down I'm afraid. I would definitely stay again just not eat there!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Zara Budapest, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear Guest,

I appreciate your time and efforts sharing your experiences with the readers of Tripadvisor. I also appreciate your positive remarks on the hotel, its appearance and its service. I was happy to read how much you liked our bedroom and were even satisfied with its size as it is a city hotel room.
I was however very much surprised on your experiences in our restaurant. I have checked what could happen to you with the bill. Since the service charge is additional, and it is clearly published in the menu card, I must think, there is strange misunderstanding in this matter, since it has no reason to say that the prices include service charge.
What the quality of the meals are concerned, I cannot add anything to it, as it sounds very rare to me knowing the feedbacks of our guests, therefore I can only suggest you to take an other trial in the restaurant during your promised next visit to prove the opposite of your experiences.

I hope you will revise your opinion on our restaurant. Many thanks for good scores.

Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Dundee, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

Just been for a 3 night break, it was fantastic, we had a great time in Budapest. The hotel was in a great location in a quiet street but near enough to everything. All apsects of hotel were beautiful, lovely foyer with piano, an outdoor area for sitting, and a very pleasant bar on 1st floor with snacks available. I thought the rooms were perfect, very comfortable, no noise. the bathroom was beautiful, but quite a hike to get into the bath for a shower, especially if you are older, or like me and just clumsy. My only critisism was the concierge on arrival, I had a piece of paper in my hand which was the hotel voucher, and he just ignored this and asked if we had a reservation, he then offered an upgrade and very quickly changed his mind, then asked for a credit card and took a deposit of 80 euros from the card in case we used anything we had to pay for. that is fair enough, but it wasnt really explained very well. I went back to clarify, and was told it was common practice all over the world to take a deposit. I have been to lots of hotels around the world and at home, and have always had a credit card swiped but never money taken off,. This was obviously cancelled as we paid for things as we were going. The Araz restaurant within the hotel was fantastic too, lovely meals in the evening, lovely staff. Breakfast catered for everybody, from porridge to cereals, fruit, bacon, sausage, eggs, ham, cheese, fruit, bread, fantastic

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Laura, R,

I cannot express how mcuh I like such reviews and how happy I am reading if a guest was satisfied with tthe facilities and with the service we provide.
I apologize for the not patiently expalined pre-authorization process by the receptionist.
I was especially happy to read how much you liked the restaurant , the eventual extreme marking sounds however very complimenting for us.

Many thanks for your excellent scores and best regards,
Wrexham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I have just returned from a three night stay at the Zara continental. It is one of the best hotels I have stayed in within Europe. Upon arrival, I had previously booked an airport transfer with the hotel. This is a service I would definitely recommend. I usually use public transport, but for ease, booking a taxi is something to consider.

Our room was clean and spacious, the bed was slightly hard, but I think that's personal preference. Within my room rate included breakfast, I was pleasantly surprised on how good breakfast was, in previous European hotels, I have been offered a standard continental. Where as the Zara continental offered a wide range of hot foods, cereals, breads and fruit to choose from, which I think would suit most peoples needs.

To summarise, I would definitely give this hotel two thumbs up, it's in a great location, with most main attractions in walkable distance. I would definitely return.

Dear CityTraveller86,

Good to know how satiesfied you were with our transfer service. Also good to hear that you like your room and the breakfast selection was wide enough too.

I hope your first trip to Hungary convinced you to return. We will be happy to welcome you again.

Thanks for the high scores. Best regards,
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Usually, I am too lazy to review hotels I have stayed in, but this time I had to make an exception.
I stayed in Continental Zara for one week and enjoyed the amazing hospitality of the hotel staff. The hotel in itself is nice, as you would expect, the rooms are a bit on the small side, but very nice. The really great thing about this hotel is the friendliness of the staff, which unlike at other hotels seems at least genuine. l am sure, I will return, many thanks!

Dear Julipuli,

praising words from a lazy reviewer have much more value. I was more than happy to read that the staff was friendly you you felt this friendliness honest and not artificial. We really strive for quality and such feedbacks make me especially satisfied.

Looking forward to your return!

Many thanks and best regards,
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I went to Budapest in September, and stayed at the hotel for couple of days for a conference. Good location, with easy access to Pest, clean rooms, pleasant atmosphere, very friendly and attentive staff. Special thanks to the banqueting staff - Zoltan, he has been very polite, helpful and accommodating. He looked after us, nothing was too much trouble.
Definitely will return.

Dear Julia S,

it is rare that a conference participant shares her views with the readers of Tripadvisor. This is why I am so grateful for your review and for the excellent scores. I ahve passed your compliments to Zoltan, our banquet waiter with great pride.

I hope there will be a reason for you shortly to return.

Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for two nights for a business meeting. Very clean with friendly, excellent service. Lovely decor, comfortable room. The lobby is welcoming. The bar, just one flight up, is warm and just right for quiet conversations. I loved staying here and will return for future trips. The hotel is perfect trip in every way.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Zara Budapest, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
Dear Woodstock924,

guests on business trip rarely take the time to share their travel experiences with the readers of Tripadvisor. Since in most cases they are very demanding guests, their review is not always so positive like yours. I am happy to read that you were satisfied with the facilities you used and with the service provided.

I am grateful for your excellent scores and look forward to your eventual next visit.

The Hague, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We are used to the best hotels, this hotel has everything you need. It is in a perfect location close to the center. Kind staff, 100% service, breakfast as complete as possible and we never had a room that clean. Also no noise at night and the best beds, not one complain yust one of the best hotels you can imagine. The first time we give a maximum score to a hotel in many many years. fam. van Schijndel - The Netherlands

Dear Jan551,

many thnaks for your compliments on the rooms, on the beds and especially on the staff. You have kindly highlighted such areas where we have occasionaly some critisism, like location and rooms. It was very complimenting to read that you are usually staying in best hotesl adn never give maximum scores. Such reviews may prompt high expectations in potential guests, but we are ready to face up to such high expectations.

Million thanks for your kind words and look forward to your return.

Best regards,

Been to Continental Hotel Zara Budapest? Share your experiences!