“Excellent hotel - would definitely return” 5 of 5 stars

Continental Hotel Zara Budapest
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Dohany u. 42 - 44, Budapest 1074, Hungary   |
Ranked #29 of 329 Hotels in Budapest
York
“Excellent hotel - would definitely return”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel while on our honeymoon and we had the most wonderful time here. We arrived on the 30th Aug and stayed in a deluxe room, complete with welcome gifts of fruit plate and sparkling wine.

The hotel is very modern, but very inviting. All of the staff we experienced were very professional and friendly.

Breakfast was very good - i believe some people have been less than satisfied with this in the past, particually for the lack of space, however we didn't really experience any problems and enjoyed our breakfast here every day.

Wellness area is amazing. The area is very clean and well maintained. The outdoor pool was very warm. We were a little surprised at how quiet this area was, however on Saturday and Sunday it got very busy. There was a football match on the Friday I believe and there were lots of guests in the pool area on the Saturday so it wasn't very peaceful. It was still OK though as there is plenty of space out on the grass if the beds are taken.

We had a massage and a body treatment which were included in our 'Wellness Package' and these were excellent. We also had a meal included in Araz. This was a limited menu, but we were both overall happy with the food. The only problem was that my chicken wasn't very hot and so i returned this, however it was dealt with right away.

We also ate (and drank) inthe Gallery Cafe several times. The lunch was excellent and the drinks/service were always very good.

The location we thought was very good, however we don't mind walking (in fact we didn't take any public transport except from airport transfer). I could imagine that some people may like to be a little closer to centre and the river.

Budapest is beautiful and I would definitely return and if I did would opt for this hotel.
For 5 nights including breakfast, one 3 course meal for 2 and unlimited wellness use (incl massage and body treatment each) was just over £400, which for a hotel of this class I would say is a bargain!!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the courtyard are probably the best
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Zara Budapest, responded to this review, October 22, 2011
Dear Mls504,

I was happy to read that we could contribute on our own way to the success of your honeymoon. Thanks to our efforts you did not experienced that hustle what previous reviews described. Your review is of great value since you tried out almost all of our services and we did not fail.

Thanks for you compliments and look forward to your next visit.

Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Vasteras, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

5 days and 4 nights, everything 1 class! Great friendly staff, great pool area, fabulous rooms, fantastic breakfast. Worth every floriner and cent I spend there.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Goran189878,

short review, but it speaks for itself! I myself could not better advirtise our hotel!

Many thanks for it and look forward to your return!

Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed in one of the standard rooms for 3 nights at the beginning of Septemer. From the moment we walked into the hotel until we left we were very happy with this hotel! It has a fabulous location within walking distance to all the main tourist attractions and nightlife, dining areas in Pest. The staff was always really friendly and accomodated us with a late check out. The pool area is great with the outdoor pool having a view over Budapest, especially beautiful at night. I would definitely recommend this hotel, we passed many other hotels during our stay and this looked by far the best and the loation definitely beats that of the Kempinski. We did find the standard room to be pretty standard, small for American standards but average for European city standards. If you can afford it definitely book one of the bigger rooms.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear HillaryReid87,

It was nice how satisfied you were with the location with the staff and with the outside pool. I was very much satisfied reading your comparison on other hotels, may be it was a little bit exaggerated, but sounds very nice!

Thank you for recommending our hotel for the readers of TripAdvisor.

Purkersdorf, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

I was in Budapest for Business and I have to say, if I am coming one´s more I will stay here for sure! greate Hotel with greate superior rooms. What I was impressed of was the roof, with the garden and the swimming pool. Great! Oh, and go for a massage, it´s incredibble.
So all in all, it is a greate Hotel with greate stuff and worth every cent you spend there, I barelly couldn´t get away from there, specially from the cafe, in the lounge. Totally recommendable!

Room Tip: I stayed in a corner suite, it was large and sunny.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Dear HunorVienna_Ausria,

Great, incredible, recommendable - what nice compliments for us! A great thank you for it!

Looking forward to your next visit!

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

This hotel is a real gem in the city. Priced affordably, a short walk from the Danube, it offers a beautiful hotel with a staff that knows impeccable service. We only got to stay one night...but rest assured that any stay we have in Budapest will be at Zara for sure!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Babestraveling,

short stay - great review! Thank you and look forward to your return!

Bets regards,
Paris, FRANCE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

My wife and I stayed 5 days/4 nights at the Continental Zara in April 2011.
The check-in was ok. Not very warmful people at the desk but OK. Because I had booked through a special website (Splendia.com), we were uprgraded to a nice little suite.

To sum-up:

Great points :

- great location in the city
- great rooms but the ones on the street are a bit noisy (disco/bar in the little street our room fronted)
- great breakfast
- clean
- nice pools & sauna (but small)

Bad points/improvements to make:

- check out: disaster... we asked the concierge to call a cab. he did not look at us at all, and kept watching his computer screen. He just told us to ask that to the doorman. The doorman wanted to book a taxi with the company they seem to be affiliated. We had a voucher for the official company that works with the airport (fixed prices, not too expensive/ red and white company). So we asked him to do it and was not very "happy" with it.
- we talked to another concierge during our stay and compained about the disco/bat noise in the night... no excuses, no reaction...

this hotel is globally nice but the 4 star ++ they pretend to be is far from now. it is a 4 star ++ for the building (even if the room had already some stuff damaged) but not for the employees and the way they treat their customers.
if we come back to Budapest, I think we will definitely go somewhere else.

Room Tip: the ones not on the street and with big bathrooms if you are tall.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear CharlesMorel,

thanks for your time to post a review on TripAdvisor. I especially thank for the long linst of "Great points". I was very much dissapointed to read that due to an unfortunate taxi order and the attitude of our front desk clerk you scored our hotel down. I can ensure you that this type of service is not general in our hotel and hereby I like to apologize for it.

I hope you will revise your opinion on return to Continental Hotel Budapest.

Thanks and regards,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night whilst travelling around Europe...Good location in the centre of Budapest, near to all shops and restaurants...Only one stop on the metro from Keleti train station and a short walk from the metro stop. Enjoyable breakfast, wifi was included, comfortable and modern rooms, good swimming and sauna facilities. All round good hotel .. Would recommend.

• Stayed September 2011
Dear JackandKristina,

thank you for your review. My only question is: why only good? From your short review I had the feeling you enjoyed your stay with us - this is why we are working.

Thanks and regards,

Been to Continental Hotel Zara Budapest? Share your experiences!