“Zara is a pleasant hotel to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Continental Hotel Zara Budapest

Save Saved
You added Continental Hotel Zara Budapest to your Saves list
Continental Hotel Zara Budapest
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Dohany u. 42 - 44, Budapest 1074, Hungary (Erzsébetváros)   |
Ranked #29 of 332 hotels in Budapest
Campinas, SP
“Zara is a pleasant hotel to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2011

Nice location and facilities, very helpful staff, nice breakfast

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Zara Budapest, responded to this review, October 22, 2011
Dear Paolo F,

thanks your for your short but substantional review. I liked it very much since it came from a critical experienced traveler (as per your other reviews).

Many thanks for the high scores and best regards,

1,888 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

I booked this hotel for a group of us for a conference and was able to get a very good corporate rate, but also a very flexible, professional, and great corporate rules that went along with that rate. Many of my travelers were affected by the hurricane and the hotel staff did a superb job of dealing with the changes to reservations, whether night cancellations or even showing up early because of the impending storm. The communications we had before the conference with the staff were friendly, the staff is responsive, nice, cooperative and accommodating.
The hotel is brand new, which is great because everything seems new and clean. the housekeeping was very good, with turn down service, and some housekeeping twice a day. the bonus to this hotel is definitely the rooftop terrace and wellness area, which is such a nice surprise right in the middle of budapest to have 360 degree views of the city from the little pool on the top of the hotel. It was also COMPLETELY QUIET inside the rooms. you could not hear voices in the hall, no housekeeping noises next door, no one's TV, and no voices from other rooms, which is so important for sleep quality.
Breakfast was good and comprehensive, although they have to work on getting juice and coffee machines with larger volume capacity because they were always running out.
The service is Budapest can be hit or miss, but this staff was incredibly professional, friendly, and competent. I will definitely be using them for future events in Budapest and would recommend it to any company who needs a great local staff to handle complications or challenges. special thanks to Brigitta, Ezsther, Adrienne, Pecze and Bea.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Dear Briarrose_Smith,

I like to thank you all the compliments you listed in your review. Flexibility, friendliness, professionalism are all essential attributes in our hotel business and it was good to read that the staff was able to tally it. I was also happy to read how silent our rooms are and no noise came through to your room.

I hope we will have the privilege welcoming your oarty in the near future again.

Hartlebury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011 via mobile

Booked the hotel at the last minute & were pleased to be given an upgrade from a standard room upon arrival. The staff couldn't be more friendly or helpful in every aspect. The location may not be to everyone's liking, as it is slightly out from the main tourist sights but if you enjoy seeing every aspect of this beautiful city on foot then you will not find better for the money & the reality is that public transport links are pretty good. Will definitely be going back to Budapest & the Zara.

• Stayed September 2011
Dear PGB13Blandy,

I was happy to read how much you liked our hotel. I was however sad to read that due to the location (although with good transport connections and close to main tourist attraction on foot - as you admited) we could not get the highest score. Anyway, I hope you enjoyed your stay with us.

San Luis Obispo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

My red-eye flight arrived in the morning so it was very nice to lounge by the roof-top pool until my room was ready for check-in. I dozed a bit, to make up for missed sleep on the plane, so after my shower I was ready to hit the town. The room decor was neutral color and stylish. Free Wi-Fi worked great. Appreciated the laptop size safe, large flat screen TV and A/C controls. The included buffet breakfast was very good with many choices. The room was very quiet and the comfortable bed provided a good nights sleep. I did get an excellent price through SniqueAway.com and wished I had booked 2 more nights at the end of my trip but the hotel's general manager was unable to match that rate. Since I am on an extended vacation I could not fit their price into my budget. (I do believe the rate they are charging is reasonable for this wonderful hotel.) The service was very good as they always cheerfully helped with questions, directions, ordering a taxi, etc...
I like the way your room key powers the A/C and lights, once I figured it out! No need to be wasting electricity if no one is there. And it is convenient not to have to shut everything off individually prior to leaving the room.
The only negative I have is about the small shower-it is quite slippery and the drain was very slow. I had to shut the water off many times to allow the water to drain. Sorry, I should have mentioned it at checkout so it could be fixed-Room 138.
Thanks for a wonderful start to my vacation!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Dear Mosaic2,

thanks for your detailed review. I am sorry that I could not extend your stay under your special deal conditions. If we would have known the water drainage problem during your stay we could have fixed it and you could definitely score our hotel with the highest points.

Best personal regards,
Edinburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2011

We had passed the Hungaria Furdo facade In Dohany utca on our many visits which shielded the site of a car park. Imagine our delight on our previous visit to find that a stunning hotel had been built on the site. I was determined to stay there on our next visit.

We got a fantastic deal of £50 a night in a standard room although this rate did not include breakfast. However we were able to sit outside in Cafe Ladro 50 yards and have breakfast for £3 each compared to 15 euros each in the hotel.

The room was well equipped although the room size was on the small side. The bathroom was also well equipped but the doors to the shower were not straight which resulted in water spilling on to the tiles.

The reception and communal areas are beautifully designed and very spacious and airy. Staff were very friendly and helpful. We did not eat in the restaurant but prices were on the high side in comparison to restaurants in the area.

We used the inside pool as well as the roof top pool on the 7th floor.. It was nice and relaxing sitting out in the roof top garden in the hot Budapest sun. However swimming in the outside pool was akin to swimming in a large sized tin tub but cooling nevertheless

Three gripes though. We found it difficult to get the air conditioning to a comfortable temperature. We also found that the fridge could not keep drinks cold. Speaking to the staff it appears that it is a common problm through out the hotel. Their suggestion was that we should keep the cabinet door open as their is insufficient air circulating around the fridge due to the design of the furniture to keep the fridge cool. Finaly the wifi which was free frequently loocked you out which meant that you had to continually log in with your password and log in details. Straightforward but very annoying.

In terms of location the hotel is a 2/3 minute walk to the Synagogue and a further 5 minute walk to Deak where all the metro lines converge in Budapest. Excellent location and prices are way cheaper in the vicinity compared to hotels arounf Vorosmarty Ter.

Getting to the hotel from the airport was very cheap. Train from the airport to Nyugati was just over a £1. Then a tram, numbers 4 or 6, again a £1. Alight at Wesselenyi and it is a 2/3 walk down Dohany Utca to the hotel. Straightforward and way cheaper than the 25 euros being quoted by the hotel for a taxi transfer

Definitely return if we can get comparable prices on our next visit

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Zara Budapest, responded to this review, September 8, 2011
Dear Hunterstrystjumbo,
lucky you that you booked a room on a really very cheap rate - without breakfast - , thanks to our flash sales in a low demand period. The breakfast rate was already in line with the normal prices and I can ensure you that even with the choice and the quality! It is really hard to compare it with the the breakfast in the neighbouring cafe on the corner. This comparison is valid for the train from the airport with the door-to-door taxi service. Apart from the small lacks - what I really apologize for - and your constructive critisism - I hope you had a great time with us and will return even if the rates are higher.
Cluj
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

Loved the location, as we walked all over Budapest for the 3 days we stayed there.
Excellent breakfast! Great spa, little small both swimming pools, but we LOVED it that it had an outside and an inside pool, as it was great time for sunbathing too... Also it would be much nicer if they also got a steam-bath/sauna how it's called...
the staff was nice and we were celebrating 10 year wedding anniversary and I mentioned it in the reservation and after checking in we got a fruit basket and a champagne.
Didn't appreciate the plumbing issues we had in the room. even when we checked in we had water leaking from the sink and from the shower in the bathroom, and that continued for all our stay. And for a deluxe room like we had we imagined we would find a bathtub not the small small shower we found. I preferred showering at the spa upstairs...
The bed was great and after a 3-4 hour evening walk each night we had an excellent sleep, and the dark curtains were very nice. The room itself was nice and very elegant.
We liked it and might return.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Babycdc,

I hope the leaking water from the shower was a minor issue in your overall great stay. In the meantime we have repaired it.

Hope to see you shortly. Best regards,
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

Great hotel mainly thanks to extremely helpful staff. From the minute you enter the hotel you met by smiling, helpful staff (door men, reception, concierge, house keeping, fitness area/pools, beauty centre, waiters).

Nicely decorated rooms, fabulous roof pool. Fitness centre open 24/7 with your key card.

I was on a wellness break package - and massage, treatment and the dinner included in the package were all very good.

Hotel located in nice area with good restaurants and bars (including famous ruin pubs) in easy walking distance.
Close to public transport but city centre, Danube, opera and shopping all in walking distance.

If I have to find something negative: Would have been nice with a swim before breakfast. Accss to pools only from 9 a.m. .... but it will not keep me away next time I visit Budapest .....

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Dear MarianneBL,
I love to read such reviews, so nice scores from satisfied experienced guests. Many thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with the readers of TripAdvisor.
Best regards,

Been to Continental Hotel Zara Budapest? Share your experiences!