“Fantastic hotel, excellent service and great location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Continental Hotel Zara Budapest

Save Saved
You added Continental Hotel Zara Budapest to your Saves list
Continental Hotel Zara Budapest
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Dohany u. 42 - 44, Budapest 1074, Hungary (Erzsébetváros)   |
Ranked #32 of 330 hotels in Budapest
Kuwait
“Fantastic hotel, excellent service and great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

We spent around one week in a suite at this hotel as part of our euro trip honeymoon.. Among all the 4 and 5 stars hotels we stayed at, this hotel was really unique.. we were impressed with the fantastic interior design of the lobby and the room.. the staff were all very friendly and professional and could speak english and tried to make our stay the best we could have.. The food was excellent and we enjoyed our breakfast and dinner along the week we stayed there.. we were impressed with the high standards of hygiene followed in the hotel rooms and restaurant. It's located in a very nice part of the lovely city of budapest and we never had any problem in transportations there.
We enjoyed our stay in this hotel and for sure we are planning to visit budapest again and this hotel will be on the top of our list..

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Zara Budapest, responded to this review, September 8, 2011
Dear Emad A,
it is not necessary to comment your review: it speaks for itself. Many many thanks for it! I am happy that we could contribute to your honeymoon trip in our own way.

1,930 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

the hotel has the facade of an old hotel and surprise to find a new ultra modern hotel inside, the room is clean, breakfast is excellent. staff are courteous. however, it lacks the charm and personal warmth of some smaller hotels. the receptionist could have reminded us to set aside some money for the city tax or told us we could pay in euro as we have used up most of our forint. the hotel has also double charged our stay. we prepaid our room and shocked to find charged us again when our credit card bill arrived. have to call our bank waiting to resolve the problem. the hotel is 5 min walk from blaha L ter metro stop, in a quiet side street, slightly rundown area. if i am to go to budapest again, i would rather pay more for a hotel closer to the old town. however, i must say the hotel is of good value as we only paid 80euro including breakfast. we were there when the temperature soars to 35C, we like to go back o the hotel for a rest in the afternoon , 15 min walk to the happening place can be quite exhausting. budapest is a beautiful city, stunning view from buda hill. should go there in late afternoon when most of the tourist bus have left. and not as hot. we ve been to different places during this trip,in my opinion, people in budapest is less friendly and helpful than others. they do have inspectors making sure tourist have tickets. they only check on foreigners.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Zara Budapest, responded to this review, August 15, 2011
Dear Kpchia,

I was pleased to read how satisfied you were with the decor of hte hotel and with its services. Yes, I agree the highlight of Budapest is the Danube, the banks and the bridges. There are however plenty of other attractions in the city, since this is a very big city with almost 2 million inhabitants. Our hotel is located in a very exciting disctrict with a lot of pubs, cafes, galeries.
I have checked your "double charging", but it was a deposit (a pre-authorizaton) for the extras in the value of 40 euros upon checking in. This is a normal procedure in all international hotel even if the room is pre-paid. In your confirmation from Booking.com it was clearly confirmed that the city tax is to be paid on the spot. I was sorry to read that you found the inspectors unfriendly on the public transportation, but I must admit I have nowhere in the world found a friendly inspector!
I hope you will revise your decision not to stay with us during your next trip due to the location, as Budapest is not the Danube only!
Regards,
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

I can't reccomend this hotel enough. Stayed here for 6 nights with my boyfriend (we're both in our mid twenties) from 14th till 19th July. We read tons of reviews about this hotel before we went and were quite anxious about the area due to some comments saying the area wasn't the best and it was very noisy ect. This is all nonsense! The area is fine, a lot of people said it was quite far away from a lot of tourist attractions, this again is rubbish. Nothing was more than a 15 min walk away and there is a metro station a minutes walk away as well as trams. When you come out the main entrance and walk to the right and continue straight on that street for about 5 minutes you come to the Great/ Central Synagogue. When we booked there was a free room upgrade offer through tripadvisor which we printed out and simply showed to the girl at the check in. We got a deluxe room which was fantastic, very spacious and we got a complimentary fruit bowl with chocolates. Every night we had a tuck in service where a member of staff would tuck the corners of the sheets back and leave a little chocolate on our pillow. This usually happened at 8pm each night. Breakfast, oh my god, I can't speak any more highly of the breakfast!!!!!Probably what I miss most! SO many people on this site complained about how busy breakfast was, we went at between 8:45-9:30 (it is open from 7:30 till 10 i think but double check the site) and ok it was busy but we could always get a seat and no one bothers you so I don't know why people were complaining. There are bottles of water you can take your glass up to but we and a few other people just took the bottle of water to our table and helped ourselves. There were machines that dispensed orange or peach juice and a coffee machine. There was a HUGE selection of hot and cold food, the bacon was always cooked perfectly, always perfectly crispy. Also pancakes were available, every type of egg you can imagine and the normal selection of cold meats, fruit, cereal ect. When going down for breakfast give your room number to the person waiting and just choose your own seat. There was also a beautiful courtyard you could sit outside and have your breakfast. Honestly, if you are staying in Budapest I can't recommend this hotel enough. We will be back to stay again! We made our own way from the airport which was a bit of an adventure but we e-mailed to ask if someone from the hotel could give us directions by public transport and they were very helpful. On the was back we had so much spare money we decided to get a taxi to the airport. The hotel do a fixed rate of 6500 HUF which is very good value considering the meter stopped at 6500 when we were still a good 10 minutes away from the airport. Plenty of places to eat around the hotel, we went to the Italian place just beside the hotel which was nice and we also ordered room service from their lovely restaurant. We didn't get to use the spa or gym or roof top pool but it looked amazing

Room Tip: If they still do the free room upgrade take it! The deluxe room was brilliant but i'm sure the n...
Dear Hello_Kitty12351,
what compliments! I can imagine better ones! A great thank you for it! I am especially greatful for disproving a lot of negative remarks, like size of the room, location, breakfast selection, taxis etc. I hope you will shortly return.
Warsaw, Poland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

It's a nice hotel located within the short walk to all major sights in Budapest and the river. It looks newly refurbished, rooms have a decent size and very comfortable beds. Shower was a bit small and there was no shelfs in bathroom to put your cosmetics on. Overall, worth recommending

Room Tip: check hotel website for special rates, there is a big choice of them
Dear Andreys,
thank you for your overall good review. I like to call your attention to our deluxe or executive rooms where the bathroom is much bigger. I hope we can welcome you to our hotel in a much more spacious room.
Antwerp, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

In my honest opinion most of the time you get what you pay for and the rest is a matter of personal taste. Considering we paid around 80 Euro’s a night (breakfast included) I think we got a lot. Continental Zara is a fine hotel, but it needs some attention to details. I’ll get to that later on.
Staff: very friendly, professional, very good knowledge of English.
Rooms: modern, stylish, small (but ok for short stay’s). Minibar is overpriced (as everywhere). Bathroom is too small. You have to stand in one corner to open the door. But it has every amenity.
Breakfast: very good. Don’t understand that some reviewer called it basic. It can stand the comparison with every 4star hotel I’ve been.
Only negative thing is the location. I didn’t bother the 15 minutes walk to the centre much but for some it can be a problem.

But it needs some fine-tuning:
• coffee/tea facilities in the rooms are not refilled every day. The first night I used the only teabag that was available and after that I didn’t see any bags anymore.
• I always use the smallest towel for shaving (the one the size of a handkerchief). They weren’t available the first night. The second night they showed up. I used one and left it on the floor as a sign that it had to be replaced. It wasn’t and the second clean one even disappeared. So third night/morning: again no small towels.
• During breakfast I saw a member of staff cleaning a table in front of me by throwing the breadcrumbs in the floor. I find that repulsive.
• During breakfast staff needs a long time to clear the dirty plates although it wasn’t busy.

Conclusion: prize/quality a very good deal.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

This is a very comfortable hotel although a bit impersonal and lacking in charm. I stayed with my family and would recommend it for children but I think it's more suited as a business hotel. The location is good - away from the main touristy areas but close enough to walk to some of them and very close to public transportation. We enjoyed walking around and exploring the small streets around the hotel. The breakfast is adequate and the pools are a very nice amenity to have in a city hotel. We ate one evening in the hotel restaurant and, while the food was good, it took over two hours to have an appetizer and main course. I didn't stay for dessert (my husband and kids did - it took 45 minutes more). The staff was helpful although seemed to be limited in their restaurant recommendations. They were not very knowledgeable about a couple of restaurants that were within a block or two of the hotel (and widely written about in guide books) which seems a bit surprising.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Zoltan_Geher, General Manager at Continental Hotel Zara Budapest, responded to this review, July 31, 2011
Dear BarbaraNYC91,
thank you for your valuable feedback. Although I did not experience impersonality or lack of charm before, as they were our strengths I thought. What restaurant recommendations is concerned it seems to me that there is a lot to do to increase the service of our Concierge. What the service in our restaurant is concerned it is a slow food restaurant including the feeling and ambiance of a nice and pleasant decor, environment. It is the task of our staff to find out the needs of our customers if they have different needs. By ongoing training we will pay attention to these type of details too.
Looking forward to your return. Sincerely yours,
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

Strongly recommend this hotel for it's location (not in the heart but quieter and 10min walk into the old town), service and excellent suite rooms.

Pro's: decor of the lobby is outstanding. We got a suite which was huge and very well decorated. All mod cons, flat screen TVs (x2). Huge bubble bath and walk in shower. Quiet location yet easy walking distance or short metro ride into old town. Excellent pricing for quiet rooms compared to over-priced and boring main chains. And most of all the service - excellent advice, quick and professional responses to emails and on-site, keen to impress and willing to make that extra effort.
Restaurant is actually surprisingly reasonably priced and offers local as well as int'l food.

Cons: has become very popular hotel, so can breakfast gets crowded and hard to move around the buffet area, especially if raining in their outside veranda - need to find a solution quickly as could become focus of negative comments.
Worth them putting a partition in the suites between main bedroom and lounge for family use - room for improvement then, but excellent value

Room Tip: suite rooms are great
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Dear Doc_Coq,
it was flattering to read plenty of pros. The previous crowd during breakfast is nowdays really very seldom, it happens only if the majority of the guests are coming at the same time. We excluded the breakfast from several room rates, which helps a lot. We have started to cover of veranda (courtyard garden) to become independent from the wheather. From your scores I see that you were satisfied with our hotel and hopefully you will recommend us to your friends.
Sincerely yours,

Been to Continental Hotel Zara Budapest? Share your experiences!