“A fantastic lunch- loved, loved, loved Cafe Alibi” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cafe Alibi

Cafe Alibi
Egyetem ter 4., Budapest 1053, Hungary (Belváros-Lipótváros)
0036-1-3174209
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #206 of 1,582 restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: International
Good for: Romance
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Belváros-Lipótváros
Description: A charming little Café in the very heart of Budapest since 2000. Have been selected to the best coffeehouse in Hungary in 2005! Breakfast, Lunch, great coffee, cakes and friendly service. Worth to visit.
Little Rock, Arkansas
“A fantastic lunch- loved, loved, loved Cafe Alibi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

Ahhhh- I don't know how you get a better lunch. Food was superb,wait staff quietly efficient and very pleasant. Beautiful setting. A very relaxing lunch. If I lived here rather than Little Rock, AR, this would be my place!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

87% Recommend
“Great breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

The best French Toast that I've tasted we'll worth a visit when in BP Lovely outside setting in a great setting

Burmese 888

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“The service gets progressively worse”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I have been going to this eatery for the last two years as I live around the corner and have sadly watched the service deteriorate as they have expanded and revovated the cafe.

However last Friday surpassed anything which I had witnessed before. We initially ordered two drinks and a coffee. 15 minutes later, the drinks arrived. The coffee was tepid and there was no sugar.I had to get up and fetch this myself from the bar in addition to the ashtray which I had asked her to bring.

Later we attempted to order more drinks. After waiting 10 minutes for someone to take our order (despite some frantic gesturing), finally the waitress deigned to notice us, We ordered two gin and tonics. Another 10 minutes passed before she came back with one drink

I assumed she had not understood me correctly and said that I had ordered two; She simply walked away. At this stage we/re somewhat perplexed as to what is going on. Some minutes later she comes back and announces that there is no more gin and moves brusquely off.

She immediately returns with the bill although we had not asked for it and waits for us to settle immediately. The bill included a 10% service charge. I deducted this and paid only for what we had consumed. When i gave her the money she pointed out that I hadn't paid the service charge. I explained that the service was so bad that I wouldn't pay it. She tried to protest before marching off.

Although we struggled to get anyone's attention all evening, suddenly all eyes were on our table as the waitress recounted the affair to her colleagues. Immediately the manager was over - unbelievably to ask us to pay the service charge!!! The only thing he left with was a detailed appraisal of the service at cafe alibi.

This used to be such a good cafe but it has really lost direction and I certainly won't be returning. Especially as there are so many good cafes and bars in the immediate area where the staff actually make an effort.

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
cafealibi, Owner at Cafe Alibi, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Dear Stephen!

My name is Laszlo Vagi, I manage the Café Alibi since opening. I regret your you bad experience at my café full hearted. I am greetful for your reponse which helps me to improve my service and get sanction against bad employees, doing harm to my reputation if I am not present.
Let me give you a voicher in amount of 5,000 HUF to my café as a compensation.

Unfortunatelly the large terrace is sometimes hard to manage, we are constantly working on our team and service, but sometimes we just cannot handle the crowd. I appologize again for the behavior of my collegues.

Pls send me an email to info@cafealibi.hu, that you have read the message and I will send the voicher to you.

Best regards,

Laszlo Vagi
rockville
“Great breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

We ate breakfast here twice.

Wonderful setting with outdoor seating in a quiet square.

Service was polite.

We ordered croissants (excellent), various egg preparations (all delicious), and french toast (good, but very different from US french toast).

The coffee and orange juice were very good.

The average cost for breakfast for four was $28.

A 10% service charge was added to the bill.

Visited August 2012
Harlow
“Good value and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We found the service and food good value and the waiters subtle and attentive. Lovely location off the beaten track in a lovely square ideal for people watching!

Visited July 2012