“Back again.....one year on and Borbirosag is still excellent!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Hungarian, International
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Back again.....one year on and Borbirosag is still excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

After my last review in 2011 I received plenty of views and positive comments. I like to return to restaurants to see whether they have maintained standards or declined. Well I am happy to comment that Borbirosag only gets better!

We came this time with my parents (72 & 67) who have not visited Budapest before. For their first experience of Hungarian cuisine it could not have been better. Beautiful goulash soup, tender duck and a lot of happy people.

We perused the wine list but were not tempted by the more exotic Hungarian wines. instead we choose the Szekszardi Merlot which, as an economic choice, certainly did not disappoint.

All in all I am please to report, Borbirosag remains the same.....excellent!

• Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“great little restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Discovered this place towards the end of our stay, so we only had a chance to visit once, unfortunately. It's easy to find, behind the main market hall. A good wine list and we were both pleased with our main courses, which were generous and well-cooked - I had butterfish and Mr. Fattykat had chicken. However, the real star was the dessert - cottage cheese dumplings. Sometimes these types of Central/Eastern European desserts can be grim stodge (to my mind), but when this turned up at the table we knew it was something special (Mr. Fattykat instantly regretted suggesting that we "share"). Fluffy, sweet, and oh-so-delicious, garnished with tiny slivers of plum, these were dumplings of distinction! Prices are very reasonable, and the restaurant is chic and cosy. A great place for a romantic dinner - or for squabbling over cottage cheese dumplings... :)

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great food, good gapie for money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

We had chicken with risotto and duck with mashed potatoes and they were great. Good wine variety too.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Madrid, Spain
“EXCELLENT RESTAURANT”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

We went there last Saturday, food was great (my boyfriend said the duck was the best he had ever had). They treated us really well.
We recommend it to everyone. Great location and a very good price.
Next time I go to Budapest I will go there for sure.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Budapest
“Nice place but useless cod”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Difficult to get a table without reserving but I could think of numerous restaurants in the same price range that I would pick. The place is cosy and conveniently located behind the grand market. Foodwise, it was a disappointment. I had the cod which was alright but nothing exceptional and the risotto that came with tasted like rice pudding. They have a decent wine list but our waiter was rather unknowing. No water brought or offered next to our red wine (although white is preferred with fish). Service was nothing (at least they weren't rude as in most places in town, but they weren't going out of their way either) and the food was bland. I wouldn't recommend this place and won't be going back any time soon.

• Visited December 2012