“Just Fine for an Outdoor Lunch” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Boom & Brass

Boom & Brass
Vigado u. 4-6, Budapest 1054, Hungary (District V / Inner City)
+361 877 7788
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #653 of 1,985 Restaurants in Budapest
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Bar scene, Doing business, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: District V / Inner City
Oak Park, IL
“Just Fine for an Outdoor Lunch”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Eleven of us were touring Budapest and looking for a place to have a light lunch after a long morning of sight-seeing. We stopped in here because, for one, the menu featured vegetarian dishes that some of us preferred; and, two, because the staff would be able to seat us at two tables near one another. The food was good: I had the salad with the grilled goat cheese and garlic-tinged baguette; my husband had the cheese plate; others among us had the soup, and some tried the meat dishes. Overall, the reports were positive, and the staff members were friendly. (The server did forget my husband's request for a cappuccino, but at least it wasn't on the bill when it came.)

All in all, this is a good place to stop in for lunch--nothing exceptional, but certainly above acceptable.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Oak Park, Illinois, United States
“Tasty food, mixed service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Although the food was tasty and interesting, one member of our party didn't get served until the rest of us were finished. Little apology was made. Great location however.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Brussels, Belgium
“try the duck”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Nice interior, friendly staff and excellent food!!! I tried the duck leg, duck breast & duck sausages dish. It's served over beans in tomato sauce (not actually a favorite of mine, but it worked well in this dish) and some eggs.

Visited April 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Awful/Rude Service, Ordinary Food, Great DJ”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

All waiters were stroppy, accondiscending and patronising. I asked explanation on a dish, I was told something I did not fully understand I asked to repeat and was told this in an annoyed way:

"tortelloni!! tortelloni!! do you know what tortelloni is!! ok? that's what it is, understand now?!"

...I was speechless and embarassed...and still unaware of whether the goose liver was next to the tortelloni or inside as stuffing....(and I am actually Italian) I could not believe the rudeness, so I just said "sorry!" and the waiter actually replied "no problem!"....

We later asked for some mayo and were given some, then we dared asking for some ketchup and the same waiter came back BANGING the ketchup on the table. It was unacceptable, so rude.

I sent my french fries back to the kitchen as they were stale and cold, the waitress came back with (what I believe were the same reheated) apologising and saying the oil was old at the end of the evening and for that reason they did not look too good. (!!!!!!!!!!)

At the end we asked for the bill to be split as we wanted to pay with 2 cards, I took my iPhone out and calculated the split, then turned the phone to the waitress to see the total to be charged on my card......oh dear she got upset.....she snapped a very agressive "I know!!" at me which clearly should have taught me the lesson never to suggest a math calculation to this girl ever again in my life.

Food was just average, my breaded veal was oily and tasteless. Hungarian Riesling? Dont' think so, I tried to mix it with lemonade and ended up only drinking the rest of the lemonade.

We saw at least 5 waiters constantly walking around altough there were only maybe 3 tables to serve? What were they doing??

The only couple of good things about this place were the decor which is somehow funky and welcoming (restaurant and bar which becomes a disco with music at the end of the evening) and a FANTASTIC DJ named Peter and nicknamed Frankie (?? I know!! :P )

Frankie welcomed us at the door and his beautiful attitude compensated the unfriendliness of all others. He even asked us what music we wanted to have whilst eating our meal. On our way out he chatted to us again, we talked about music and ended up having a cigarette and a drink together outside of the restaurant. What a star!!!

Frankie invited us to go back the next day, he promised a cake as we were celebrating a birthday, but we did not go back, the treatment of all others was just too bad.

Frankie you are a star, get out of that place!!

Everyone else, stay away from this restaurant, they don't deserve your money.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Sydney
“Almost there”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

Service was great, convenient location. We had two starters and two mains. The starters and one of the mains we excellent, the other main was very bland and dry. Other than that, nice atmosphere.

Visited April 2013