“Good hotel that just needs to get the basics right” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel President Budapest
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hold utca 3 - 5, Budapest 1054 , Hungary   |
Ranked #143 of 332 Hotels in Budapest
Salford, UK
“Good hotel that just needs to get the basics right”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Stayed at the Hotel President on business and the overall experience was good, the location of the hotel is great and very central and breakfast was good. My room was comfortable and clean but didn't really have very much natural light. Also the tea/coffee tray is appauling! Two flimsy plastic cups with very poor quality tea and coffee. Overall I would recommend as a base in Budapest.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Lancaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for a week holiday and it was nice and grand when entering. The staff were nice and nothing bothered me about this stay. Clean and basic. However we would have preffered a room with a window facing outside. Having said that, that's just my personal taste. I would return here again.

• Stayed June 2013
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

I chose to stay here on the back of reviews I had read and certainly the location was excellent and a 5 minute walk from my meetings. The hotel was clean and efficient. However, despite the Hungarians being impressed at my hotel choice, because it has a helipad on the roof- my room was pokey and small and the only natural light was from window which opened onto the indoor "atrium" (read corridor). The room was too dark have the lights off and as a woman you can imagine I didn't want people from the atrium looking in. The very good thing was that the Wifi was excellent- very fast and I got lots of work done.
For those looking for hotel central to all the tourist sites and reasonably priced I would recommend.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

This is, at best a two to three star hotel
The rooms are terribly small, there is no bath only a shower
It isn't a five star hotel at all, at best it has the features of a budget hotel. The only good thing about this hotel is its location and thats about it in all honesty

Room Tip: There are no good rooms. The suites may be better, I don't know
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

Our welcome to Hotel President was nice enough. The gentleman on reception went through the usual, breakfast times etc. When we got to the room though, it was a different story. No shower. I paid for an Executive Suite which is supposed to be a cut above the rest and sadly it was grotty and without a shower, which meant we spent most mornings sat in the bath trying to wash that way. Upon talking to reception I was told "but your in an Executive Suite. There are no showers in the Suites", as if this was something everybody should know and accept as being a universal truth. We were told she could downgrade us to a regular room which have showers and that was all that could be done. The room was missing bits of carpet and the furniture was badly stained (I have photos). Also, they have a nice note in the room stating that you should count everything upon your arrival as, if on your departure they decide that anything is missing, they will assume that you are a thief and charge the cost of the item to your bill. Avoid the breakfast option.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

We stayed at the hotel for 4 days and we had a great time. The rooms where great, but small. It was mirrors over the bed and around the bed, quit nice actually, we loved it :) The breakfast was just okay, nothing more. We also tried the spa on the hotel. We had to pay entrance fee to get to the pool area. It should be included, but it was not expensive, but very unnecessary and irritating. 2800 HUF (12 USD). The staff was very kind and helpful. The prices was also reasonable, we paid 28000 HUF pr night (112 USD) breakfast included. Nice hotel, we would love to stay here another time. LUPS

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Vilnius, Lithuania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

I stayed in this hotel five years ago and it was great back then. Now it’s only good location which hasn’t change. The only great thing about this hotel is location.
Hotel needs renovation (dirty walls, old carpets ect). They changed toiletries to the cheap ones and it's not good. It's four star hotel which can't afford uniforms for staff? Housekeepers walks in shorts and very open t-shirts, at breakfast room all personnel wears different clothes, don't have name tags, so it's difficult to understand to whom ask for something. Low quality food at breakfast.
And the worst part was check-in procedure. I don't blame that poor girl, who had no idea what she needs to do - but you can’t leave her alone in reception, without any training. She didn't find my reservation (she let me understood that it's my fault, because I made booking the same day and no one checks bookings so often (?!)), I showed her confirmation. I asked, but she didn't let me go to the room until she decides what to do (she was in panic, trying to call somebody, after just looking at her notes). And we had to stand in front and wait. After a lot of time she finally found our reservation and we asked for a double room. She gave us twin. We called to ask, maybe they have double room available and she explained, that all rooms in this hotel have only twin beds, double beds don't exist in this hotel. Really? :) After two nights I moved to another hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with natural light (not inside view), but they probably won't care about it.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel President Budapest? Share your experiences!