“Rooms are very good, everything else just average” 3 of 5 stars

Expo Congress Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Expo ter 2, Budapest 1101, Hungary   |
Ranked #136 of 332 Hotels in Budapest
Zurich, Switzerland
“Rooms are very good, everything else just average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

First what I liked: My room was spacious and well equipped with en-suite toilet/shower, Flat-TV (Hungarian, English, Italian and German channels), Minibar, aircon as well as good connection to free W-LAN. Everything clean and bed was quite small but comfy.

Now the dislikes: Hotel was full of senior coach tourists and there was no free table for dinner. Unfortunately, the next restaurant is about 1km away - and it is "just" a Burger King. The bar on the top of the hotel building would have been an alternative - but it was closed at around 7:30pm... In the morning the other quests occupied the restaurant for breakfast again, so I grab a croissant and went back to my room. I'm aware that large tourist groups tend to take their meals all together - but in a 4-star hotel I expect that their is anyway a table available for other guests.

Room Tip: try to avoid rooms near the elevator
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
ExpoCongress2009, Front Office Manager at Expo Congress Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Facchinettix,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and your general impression of our Hotel.
Our aim to gain high levels of customer satisfaction, obviously we failed to meet your expectations and for that we do apologize. Our staff is consdering guest comments carefully.
We hope your next visit at Budapest you will choose the Expo Congress Hotel to stay and see how the restaurant and the staff has improved.

Gergely Bobák

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Port Douglas, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Can only recommend this hotel, with free and working! wifi everywhere in the hotel, very friendly staff, perfect rooms, tv reception excellent gym, spa, sauna free. I didn't move from the hotel in ten days as it was cold and unfriendly outside. Buffet breakfast excellent, enough to feed you for the whole day. Service good and unobtrusive, room was cleaned fast and good. I wish I could live there forever!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
ExpoCongress2009, Front Office Manager at Expo Congress Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Judith G,

It makes us really proud to read the praising review on Tripadvisor.com !
Great to hear that you had a memorable stay with us,
also for mentioning our staff kindness, and our complimentary services.
Thank you again for rating our Hotel as a fantastic place to stay
Looking forward to your next visit at the Expo Congress Hotel.

NOTTINGHAM
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Needed somewhere to stay after a couple of hot grim nights on a campsite for the grand prix and chose this because it had air con, flat big car parks for our camper van and a decent price and rating. It's a four star and is very well presented, excellent air con in and out of rooms, the rooms are quite dark but more than adequate, well decorated and clean. View from our windows was amazing too and the view from the spa and sky car is unbelievable. Service friendly and breakfast good and plentiful. Got a fab rate on it of just forty four euro including breakfast too. Quite far from the city centre but that didn't matter too much to us. Would stay again

• Stayed July 2013
Dear crackers123,

We highly appreciated your generous feedback according to your last stay with us.
It is also great to hear that you had a ejoyed the spectacular view in our Spa and fittness area.
We hope for the next Grand Prix season we will have the chance to wellcome you again in the Expo Congres Hotel.

Best regards,

Jaipur, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in 2012, attending a travel fair. Room size was pretty good, it has a restaurant having good options. Hotel is slightly expensive but it is very convenient if you are attending any fair nearby at the exhibition centre.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear amandeep,

Thank you for sharing your positive comment about the Hotel and the Restaurant as well!
Also nice for mentioning the closeness of the Hungexpo Budapest Fair Centre.
I hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Expo Congress Hotel in the near future.

Ljubljana, Slovenia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I had the bad surprise to wake up in my room in the morning, and to find out that my phone and my wallet were stolen. A key card who wasn´t mine was used by another customer to enter my room while I was asleep... and this card was given by... THE RECEPTIONIST himself !!! Actually the robber just asked my room number, said he lost it, and they gave him mine with no question. What if he was a murderer ? Their excuse ? They are not allowed to ask an ID to their customers. Are you kidding me ???
Of course, they didn´t give me any compensation, and I spent my whole day at the police station to report the incident.

I was amazed by the lack of energy from the staff and the director of the hotel. I had the feeling I bothered them. Like no one cares... Even the receptionist who was involved. Not sorry at all...

No news from them anymore. Thanks for ruining my life !

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Bucharest, Romania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I only stayed here for one night but it was great! Beautiful and clean rooms, very good service, good breakfast. I would have stayed more if I had the time, but I will definitely come back. The only problem was the location, but if you don't mind walking for 10 minutes it should be ok.
I totally recommend it!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
ExpoCongress2009, Front Office Manager at Expo Congress Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Maria L.,

Thank you for choosing the Expo Congress Hotel for your stay!
We were happy to read, that you were satisfied with our service.
Nice to hear that you are plannig to visit us again.
Next time please consider that we have a shuttle bus,
wich could take you to the city and the airport as well.
It will be our pleasure to welcome you back .

Many thanks for your review and best regards,

Calgary,Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

After about 8 bad hotels in a row, this was heaven. This hotel is beautiful, it's clean, service is a 10/10, the inc breakfast was amazing, beds were good, the most important was the wifi which was full 3 bars from inside the room. We were shocked how good the hotel was and were waiting for a catch lol. Parking is also free. It's about 10 minutes from the main square which is nothing. I would stay in this hotel all the time

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Polak,

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay at the Expo Congress Hotel.
We appreciate that you highlighted our complimentary services!
Thank you again for your time and valuable feedback.
Hope you will give us a second chance the next time you plan a visit to Hungary!

Best regards,

Gergely Bobák

Been to Expo Congress Hotel? Share your experiences!