“Great evening” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tigris Restaurant

Tigris Restaurant
Merleg u. 10., Budapest 1052, Hungary (Belváros-Lipótváros)
+36 1 3173715
Neighborhood: Belváros-Lipótváros
horsham
“Great evening”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

This was one of he restaurants recommended by our concierge and we had a lovely meal and evening here last night. They presented an amouse bouche of creamed celery and smoked duck - would have enjoyed more of the smoked duck. We ordered and thoroughly enjoyed a mixed platter of foie gras to share and this came with brioche - the sommelier recommended a light sweet Tojaki wine and it was fantastic. My husband chose rabbit with puréed celeria (delicious) myself Lamb with puréed beet root and puy lentils- beautiful. We chose to have dessert wine rather than desert itself- beautiful rich full bodied Tojaki. The restaurant was busy and the staff knowledgable. Michelin recommended but not a star- dropped a mark for me on slowish service. But the food was fantastic and I would highly recommend to others

• Visited February 2013

86% Recommend
New Brighton, United Kingdom
“Had a wonderful birthday meal here.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

This restaurant was recommended to us by the concierge at the Continental Hotel Zara (which is fab by the way). It was my birthday and we wanted to experience some top quality Hungarian food. We were not disappointed. There was plenty of choice on the menu and one of the staff explained the specials board which was all in Hungarian. I chose garlic and almond soup to start with, it was delicious. I then had a beef ragout dish which was also lovely. The cappuccino cake for dessert was exceptional. The wine was on the expensive side but the bottle we chose was very good and complimented our food well. All in all we had a lovely evening. I was left wondering, however, whether it is a custom in Hungary for the wine waiter to sample the wines? We observed him, 3 times, taking wine to a table, turning away to remove the cork and pouring a small amount into a separate glass then facing back to the table with the bottle of wine (minus a small amount!!) Each time he did this, he filled the diners wine glasses then, as he walked away, picked up the other glass and drank it on the way back to the bar!!!! My husband and I found this highly amusing to watch but, had we purchased one of the more expensive wines and experienced it ourselves, we might not have found it so funny!.

• Visited January 2013
Harpenden
“great food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Excellent meal with very helpful staff made for a memorable evening. Ambience was good with throwbacks to pre communist elegence

Visited January 2013
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“A real treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Eating at Tigris restaurant is a real treat. Every dish is well balanced and give you this feeling of joy and comfort. Make sure to leave the wine choice to their excellent sommelier and let him pleasure you with one of their lovely Tokaj's that goes hand in hand with the beautiful goose liver plates.

Visited January 2013
Zurich, Switzerland
“Romantic and high quality food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I have been there with my boyfried. The service is five-star service, may be only too quick (we wanted to have a slow and chatty dinner), improved by the presence of the sommelier. We are italian, and we had a quick conversation with the (I assume) manager of the restaurant, in love with italian food. Very kind and nice person to talk to. The food was very good, high quality foie gras (we love foie gras and, since we live near Alsace, we ofetn buy high quality foie gras, and I can guarantee the one we had at Tigris was really good), prepared in original way (we odered the selection of foie gras, I didn't like a kind of foie gras mousse, but just because of my personal preferences - my boyfriend adored it!). The main were very good as well (I had a wonderful wild rabbit with a celery purea). And the wine selection - very good. Definetly recommended.

• Visited January 2013