“A Hotel that Became a Home” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Palazzo Zichy
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lorinc pap ter 2, Budapest 1088, Hungary   |
Ranked #3 of 332 hotels in Budapest
Hay-on-Wye, United Kingdom
“A Hotel that Became a Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Even before we arrived, the staff at the Hotel Palazzo Zichy made us feel welcomed with their swift and helpful responses to the three emails I sent. You can get here very cheaply from the airport using a bus, the underground - second oldest in Europe - and a map.
The hotel is situated in an interesting area with some lovely, lively small bars and cafes. It is also within walking distance to almost all the main central sites. The staff have incredible language skills and seem to give advice in all the major European languages. There is also free coffee/ tea/bottled water and snacks available until 17.00 in the bar and the breakfast buffet is so large and varied that I ate something different on each of my four mornings. We had arranged a winter package through the hotel which included a three hour guided tour, an hour boat trip along the Danube (Take this at night - the city is beautifully lit, the boat had a bar - a truly romantic highlight) and a three course meal at Museum Cafe, an atmospheric and traditional restaurant. The tour, which we took on our first morning, gave us an intelligent insight into the history, geography and politics of Budapest and also a taster of places we wanted to explore at our leisure. As the only people on the tour we were lucky to get a very personalised service and again our guide was excellent.
The room was warm and comfortable. I loved the walk-in wardrobe area and decorated glass door to the bathroom. We were provided with extra pillows and an ironing board within minutes of ringing the front desk. The building is a beautiful one, the graceful modern interior has been very well designed and furnished imaginitively. We will be staying here again. Budapest is one of the most beautiful capitals in the world and the friendliness of the Hungarians we met make us want to return as soon as possible.

Room Tip: If you require the following ask for a room with a bath and a king-sized bed.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Judit_Rozsa, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Palazzo Zichy, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear „Anniee8”,

I was sincerely happy to read your kind review about your stay at our Hotel Palazzo Zichy, first and foremost let me thank you for staying with us.

I was also delighted to read that you found our beautful city worth for a visit even in wintertime and you took advantage of our City break package. Let me thank you for your positive feedback on it, I am glad that you enjoyed the tour as well as the dinner in the Múzeum Restaurant.

Let me also thank you for mentioning my colleagues’ service-minded attitude and professional language skills.

We sincerely hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you back to our Hotel Palazzo Zichy in the not so distant future!

2,515 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Reservation:

Made by Hotel Website, no problems with it.

Check in Experience:

We have arrived early afternoon:

-2 receptionists present.

-Sentence ‘Welcome to the hotel’ – provided

- Handled in polite and warm way in less than 5 min.

- Eye to eye contact with the guest.

-Clear information about the hotel facilities and the area were presented.

Stay:

- Small room located on the 1st floor,

- No welcoming letter in the room with my name on it.

- No dust present

- Housekeeping was a bit lazy with Iron delivery (over 15 min waiting time)

- Comfortable bed.

- No coffee machine, no instant tea in the room although the guest are allowed till 5 pm to get a free tea or coffee for free next to the reception. Here I would like to mention, that free coffee facilities should be available 24/7 or tea/coffee trays should be present in the rooms.

- No separate bar or restaurant, the lobby works for Bar, Restaurant and Lobby.

- Reception missed one wake up call.

- Guest is visible for the reception staff, and in general personnel says ‘hello’ to you on the corridor or at the stairs.

- No room service available 24 hours.

- No pillow menu.

- Feedback card in the room presented.

- Full English Breakfast served till 10.30 am , staff could be a bit more friendly, especially guy called Mate, he had very rude attitude. On the other hand I would like to show my appreciation to guy named Laszlo (also works in breakfast room), he was very pleasant and polite.

Check out Experience:

- Handled in less than 5 min

- Question ‘how was your stay’ – provided.

- Offered help with transport to the airport

Overview;

Nice little hotel with generally pleasant staff, requires some minor adjustments.

Suggestions:

- More English speaking channels (not only rooms).

- Provide tea/coffee trays in rooms or make the free tea/coffee launch available 24/7.

- Provide additional English language training for staff.

- Also receptionist provided me with directions to city center, which were terribly wrong, I found on my own, that there is a different road available, which is almost 3 times shorter and gets you to city center just in about 15 min.

Room Tip: Don't know, our room was definitely too small
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear „ButNekkid”,

First and foremost let me thank you for staying with us at our Hotel Palazzo Zichy and for sharing your experiences with the travelling community.
I was delighted to learn from your detailed comment that you had a faultless check-in upon your arrival and overall you had a pleasant stay with us.

However, I regret to see that our Hotel Palazzo Zichy did not meet your expectations in ceratin aspects, let me thank you for your suggestions. I kindly ask you to contact me directly on the e-mail address jrozsa@hpz.hu in order to provide me with more information regarding the service you received in our breakfast room and from our Reception Staff. I would be grateful if you would be so kind to share your experiences with me.

Let me thank you for your kind cooperation and for your valuable feedback.
I truly hope that despite of your mixed experience we will have the opportunity to welcoming you again!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I travelled to Budapest on 8th Jnauary 2013 as part of my Girlfriends birthday celebrations. Right form the off the staff were extremley polite and very helpful. The food the service and the hospitality were fantastic.

What really sealed the deal was on the morning of my girlfriends birthday i placed cards in the room on returning later that day from sight seeing (in a very beautiful city) the staff had placed a birthday card for Anne and complementRY bowl of fruit MIGHT NOT SEEM MUCH BUT THEY DIDNT HAVE TO DO THIS.

on the whole has a great stay and would reccomend this hotel as a base

Room Tip: Any where in this hotel would be great the staff make it
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Judit_Rozsa, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Palazzo Zichy, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear „Andrew C”,

I am so glad that you had chosen our Hotel Palazzo Zichy to celebrate your girlfriend’s birthday in Budapest and you had enjoyed this special birthday-break. Let me thank you for your generous review left on Tripadvisor; your kind words and compliments are highly appreciated.
Thank you again for staying with us! We would be happy to welcoming you back to our beautiful hotel in the future, please feel free to contact us if we can do anything for you!

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Our family just finished a two night stay at Zichy. The rooms and bathrooms were spotless, and breakfast was tasty and tastefull. Most important, the hotel staff went out of their way to be helpful. Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear „ob234”,

First and foremost let me thank you for staying with us at our Hotel Palazzo Zichy. I am extremely happy that not only the cleanness of our hotel, but our breakfast service met your expectations as well. I am also glad that our staff provided you with an excellent service throughout your stay.
We are looking forward to meeting you here again,

St. Neots, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

The staff were excellent from check-in to check-out. Professional, helpful, friendly. They arranged us an excellent spa trip and massage, helped with booking the airport shuttle and were wonderful when I lost some keys, phoning the spa on my behalf to help track them down.
The room was excellent, quiet and dark for a good night's sleep, comfortable bed, good bathroom, all clean and beautifully presented.
The bar area was good too, great free tea and coffee during the day to sit and plan, then some good wines for a relaxing drink in the evening.
The location is good too, only about 10 minutes walk for the main shopping areas, easy to access by the (cheap and efficient) public transport.

Dear „geoffthewinger”,

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences with the travelling community about your recent stay at our Hotel Palazzo Zichy.
I am delighted to learn from your comment that you had a very pleasant stay with us. I am especially glad that you liked our location as well as our rooms.
Let me thank you for highlighting the high quality of the service that our staff provided you throughout your stay. Your generous review is highly appreciated and we hope to have the pleasure to welcoming you again,

Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from a 4 night stay at this lovely hotel! Everything about it was just great. Every member of staff was really friendly, helpful and efficient. Our room was on the 5th floor and was just perfect, it was really quiet! We had a problem one night with our pillows and the reception staff were great they changed them immediately. Nothing is to much trouble. As everyone else has said the breakfast is incredibly good, with loads of variety! The location is good, it is walkable to everything, there are loads of nice bars & cafes close by! We will definitely stay here next time we are in Budapest!!

• Stayed January 2013
Judit_Rozsa, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Palazzo Zichy, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear „Lyn D”,

First of all let me thank you for your generous review left on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at our Hotel Palazzo Zichy. I am delighted to see that our staff provided you with an exceptional service throughout your stay. I am extremely glad that we could even help you to make your sleep quality more pleasant.
Let me thank you again for your kind words. We are looking forward to welcoming you again, should your plans bring you back to Budapest!

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

This hotel was perfect, reception was very welcoming with free tea coffee and water in the afternoon. The room was very clean and we'll maintained, very dark in the mornings due to black out curtains meaning you weren't woken as soon as it got light. The hotel was a little walk away from the main sights but we preferred this as the eating places around the hotel were more authentic and reasonably priced. There was a lovely wine bar just 100 metres away and we would recommend this lovely wine and very very cheap! The breakfast at the hotel was very good, plenty of selection even for vegetarians.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
ibogyo, Front Office Manager at Hotel Palazzo Zichy, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear "2013_Mr_and_Mrs_S",

Thank you for recommending our hotel on TripAdvisor.
It was really our pleasure to be at your disposal.
I am glad that you were satisfied with our breakfast and location.
Let me also seize the opportunity to thank you for staying with us and in case your travel plans bring you back to Budapest, please do not hesitate to contact me directly anytime.

Best regards,
Istvan Bogyo

Been to Hotel Palazzo Zichy? Share your experiences!