“Modern hotel in lovely old building” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Palazzo Zichy
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lorinc pap ter 2, Budapest 1088, Hungary   |
Ranked #3 of 329 Hotels in Budapest
Perth Australia
“Modern hotel in lovely old building”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

This hotel is situated in an old palace but the interior has been completely redone and modernised. Very clean and comfortable room and excellent spacious bathroom. Staff are very helpful and will book tours, sell you tram tickets and explain how to use them. The hop-on hop-off tours are excellent value. Great breakfast. Only negative is that the breakfast room is fairly small and tables are close together so it is a bit difficult to negotiate around them with your food!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
ibogyo, Front Office Manager at Hotel Palazzo Zichy, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear "untakenname",

Let me seize the opportunity to thank you for choosing our hotel for your holiday in Budapest. I am happy to read that you were satisfied with our personnel and their service provided during your stay.
I am also happy that you highlighted the uniqueness of our building which has a historical past as it served as the business residence of Count Zichy.

Thank you again for your comment.

Istvan Bogyo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

My sister, mother and I stayed in the Palazzo Zichy in early Dec. 2012. We found the hotel to be very clean, comfortable and affordable. The front desk staff was outstanding!! The bar was nice and the food was excellent. It is a bit of a walk to the main street, but the hotel is more than worth the walk. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear "suzanneOhio",

Thank you very much for your short but point comment here on TripAdvisor.
I am happy that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and you found are front desk staff outstanding. On behalf the entire Hotel Palazzo Zichy team, I would like to thank you for staying in our hotel and we look forward to host you and your family in the future as well.

United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Great place to stay. Staff extremely polite and helpful- they booked several things for us when we asked for some advice on where to go, booked taxis, and sold us tram/metro tickets. The room was clean, tidy and very comfortable. Very smart bathroom and lovely shower. Breakfast was a great selection of cooked meats, eggs, cereals, yoghurts, breads, tea and coffee. Lovely touch to have free drinks/snacks in the bar during the day. Location was good. Easy walk to the Fovam Ter food market, 5 mins to Kalvin Ter metro station and several trams stops in easy reach. Many restaurants within easy walk. If back in Budapest again I would stay here again.
Thank you Palazzo Zichy!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear "Thomas B",

Thank you for sharing your experience with the travelling community.
I was glad to read that our personnel was able to help you with taxi booking or giving you advice about daily activities in Budapest. I am delighted that you were satisfied with our breakfast as well.

Thank you again for your positive comment! We look forward to welcome you back in our Hotel Palazzo Zichy in the future.

Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

This hotel promised a lot more than it delivered. Amazing reviews. Great, quiet location (apart from times when church bells go off). When we walked in we were impressed with the look.got a room on level 5 and the views of the area and roofftops were fantastic. We were so happy. but then we went to bed. Not sure what's worse, the bed that is almost as hard as sleeping on a carpeted floor, pillow that is as thin as pillows you get in economy class on an airplane or the sound proofing of the walls. We could hear our next door neighbour getting text messages. Whenever guests above us woke up or came back home late we'd be subjected to such noises that I thought there was someone walking on highheels in our room (wooden floorboards) and when they dropped things on the floor (I presume coins) it would feel like someone was throwing them onto my head. The bed was so uncomfortable that I was waking up with my whole body being sore.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

The only reason this hotel got 2 and not 1 in the review is the looks, location and fantastic staff. They were so friendly and helpful. It also seems that breakfast is included in all rates and also they offer free tea, coffee and water bottles until 5pm. It was also very cheap but then again everything is in Budapest.

The location is not the best as it'll take you about 15-20 minutes to get to the river or vaci utca. but that is not a problem. tram and metro are 3-5 minutes away.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
ibogyo, Front Office Manager at Hotel Palazzo Zichy, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear "Ch0gi",

Thank you for sharing your experience with other travellers, here on TripAdvisor. I was happy to read that you were satisfied with our personnel and the service they provided during your stay.
However I am also sorry to read that you found our beds and pillows uncomfortable and it ruined your stay.
I believe that the mattress can really depend on taste, as many other travellers were satisfied with it.
We always encourage our guest to contact our reception team because I do believe that in the most cases we are able to find a solution. We do provide mattress topper which makes the bed softer in case someone prefers softer beds and also additional pillows.
In case you would still decide to visit us again, please do not hesitate to contact me directly (ibogyo@hpz.hu), so I can personally take care of you.

kuala lumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

my husband and i spent 3 nights here and our first impression of the hotel was a good one cause the reception area was very modern and stylish and quite large. even before arriving, i was in contact with the reception cause i had problems booking my train tickets from budapest to prague. they told me that i cannot book and pay online for international trips and offered to purchase the tickets for me, for a small handling fee.
upon our checking-in, i was immediately handed the tickets, so that was nice as it was one worry off my head.
there was tea, coffee, mineral water and light snacks available in the lobby area for free daily, till 5 pm.
location - pretty central, on the 'pest' side. again we were able to walk to the central market and the christmas market in the town square.
room - small but nice and bathroom was quite modern with a walk-in shower. our room was on the second floor. i am very particular bout the bathroom and i was very happy with this bathroom.
breakfast - very good spread of hot and cold foods.
staff - very friendly and helpful. my husband asked if they know of a sports bar nearby where he can go watch an epl match one afternoon and the girl at the reception found one for him and even offered to call the place up to ask if they are showing that particular match. it is gestures like these that makes a difference.
when we asked for a taxi to go to a restaurant, the guy at the reception spoke to the taxi driver to make sure that he knew where we want to go. another nice gesture. even more so cause we did not ask that they do it, they did it voluntarily.
will we come back? yes we will cause we can see why this hotel is rated so highly on TA, deservingly so!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear "christinechin25",

Thank you for your time to post your comment on TripAdvisor.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and you found our hotel a great value.
With all the positive experienced you mentioned I am a little confused with your evaluation. We always aim to provide the highest standards in our services and facilities and it seems we succeed in your case.
Should you share any additional information with me, please do not hesitate to contact me directly anytime at ibogyo@hpz.hu

Thank you again for your valuable feedback and for staying in our hotel.

Brescia, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

In my traveller's life this is one of the best hotel I've ever been (maybe the 2nd one after the Intercontinental in Warszawa in Poland). The hotel is just wonderful. I went there in January 2013 with my family (wife and 2,5 yrs old son). Nice surprise at the arrival :) I received a free upgrade. But everything works in in wonderful way even before my arrival. I mean, after booking I received an email by Judit (a girl in the staff) who was absolutly amazing and solve every problem connected with my son even before my arrival.
The bedroom was absolutly beautiful with a great view on the small square of Lorinc Pap Ter. I really liked the view. It's also very clean and that was certified by my wife (you know women :) she's also a doctor so you know what I mean :) ).I really liked the design... a sort of mixture of an old building with modern design. The room was absolutly quiet with a great bed (mattress was perfect). There was enough space for my son to run all around the bedroon without hearing any noise outside.
The wifi internet connection worked perfectly (I've been using it via a samsung android table). I received my key directly at the check-in even without asking for it.
The breakfast room is wonderful. Take a look over your hear while having breakfast. At breakfast you can have whatever you want (better to arrive at 9am or before because it looks like a bit overcrowded but I've never had to spend a minute in queue). You can fruit, sweet, salad, salami or whatever else you want. the staff did great to help all of us. They have been working so good that they looked like they weren't it :)
in 50 meters there's a tram stop (Harminckettessek Tere). With tram 4 or 6 I was in 5 minutes in Blaha Luiza Ter at the underground station. I mean it takes no more than 10 minutes by public transportation to railway station (I've been experiencing it with my wife and son because we had to hurry ... our 24 hours travelcard for Budapest public transportation was expiring :)). In 10/15 minutes by foot I was in Deak Ferenc Tere.
While leaving the check-out was fast and easy and the staff was always pleasant and helpfull. If you nee any help about Budapest just ask and they will gave you any info you need. When I am abroad I don't like to talk in italian but for italian people.... I'm sure there's a guy at the reception who can speak italian :)
Great hotel. I wish I'll have the chance to come back to Budapest (it wasn't my 1st time in Budapest but I've never been to Palazzo Zichy... it's going to be a great regret). In particular the staff is very helpful and nice. They always smile. That's great in particular when you're on holiday :)

Room Tip: I stayed at room 108, on the corner of the street with a wonderful view on Lorinc Pap Ter a very nic...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear "bazza78",

Thank you for your kind words and the positive feedback here on TripAdvisor.
I am happy that you had a great stay with us and you were satisfied with all of our services provided during your holiday.
It was really our pleasure to make your stay as convenient as you expected.

I do hope to have a chance to welcome you back in our hotel in the future as well.
Thank you again for your comment and staying with us.

Ely, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

This was a totally perfect hotel - we couldn't fault it. As with other reviewers, we initially thought we might have been a little bit far out of the City for a weekend trip, but it was less than a 15 minute walk from the Elizabeth bridge and once we had gotten our bearings (about 3 hours!) we found the space and tourist-free streets a lovely relief from central Pest. The hotel was once a dwelling for an aristocratic family, and the style is old mansion meets trendy hotel - the fittings have real character, but the finish is really well executed, modern and stylish. There is a free coffee, water and snack bar daily unil 5pm, which we used every day of our visit, a spa, which we ran out of time to try, and a great buffet breakfast, which gets super busy but was very well stocked. The rooms were comfortable and modern, with huge power showers and a good heating/aircon system. Reception staff were lovely - we absolutely could not fault the design, service or style. Didn't want to leave!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear "G134Smith",

Thank you for staying with us and also for your positive comment here on TripAdvisor.
I was happy to read, that you were satisfied with our hotel design and staff service. I am glad that you found our hotel's history interesting and our location satisfactory as well.

In case your travel plans bring you back to Budapest, please do not hesitate to contact me directly anytime.

Front Office Manager

Been to Hotel Palazzo Zichy? Share your experiences!