“Good Value, Great Location!” 5 of 5 stars

Gerloczy Rooms de Lux
Gerloczy utca 1, Budapest 1052, Hungary   |
Ranked #4 of 329 Hotels in Budapest
McLean, Virginia
“Good Value, Great Location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This a charming hotel located in a very convenient part of Budapest. You can walk to most of the sites you will want to see. For those further away, the bus or metro works well. When we visited Buda Castle, we took the #16 bus from Deak Terrenc Fer metro station (which is less than a five minute walk from the hotel), and this worked out fine. We walked back (downhill) and it was about a 5 minute walk to the Chain Bridge, and perhaps another 10 minutes to the hotel.

The rooms are very nice--fairly roomy, clean and in good condition. It was also pretty quiet at night. We heard a few late night revelers but mostly it was good sleeping. We stayed in room 5.

They have a cafe downstairs. The cost of the breakfast is not included in the price of the room, but the price of the room is reasonable and we had no problem with this. Unlike many other restaurants in Europe, rather than a buffet the breakfast is a la carte. You order what you want. We actually like this better. The food and service were good. We did not eat any other meals there, but we understand it has a good reputation for lunch and dinner as well.

The service at the hotel was very good. The person at the reception desk answered all our questions. She also was very helpful in setting up dinner reservations as well as the boat rides on the Danube. We enjoyed a restaurant called Fausto's quite a bit--it is not the cheapest, but the food and service are excellent.

We also took the 1 hour non-dinner boat ride at night which was nice. Budapest at night is a sight to see.

We very strongly recommend you consider the Gerloczy. It met all of our needs, and helped to make our stay in Budapest very enjoyable!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Finnish first
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

My cousin and I stayed at this lovely boutique hotel for five nights in mid September. Our room was beautiful and spacious with a balcony overlooking the outdoor cafe. The hotel exudes Old World elegance and charm. It has a wonderful location that is a short walk from the river, restaurants and shops., yet is in a quiet section away from the crowds.

I can't say enough about the staff. They were extremely friendly,helpful, respectful and informative. Even before I arrived there, they gave me useful tips about the taxis there. The staff goes out of it's way to make sure their guests are happy.

We only ate at the cafe for breakfast, which was very good.(especially the Hungarian omelet) The cafe does great business for dinner and is very lively at night. I would sit on my balcony at night, sipping a glass of wine, enjoying the laughter from below. It was especially nice that, as loud as the people below were, once I went in my room and closed the door, I heard nothing.

I have been all over the world and stayed at many top notch hotels. I have to say that the Gerloczy is my absolute favorite hotel and Budapest is my favorite city. I was enchanted with everything and everybody there! I will definitely return to this city and this hotel!

Room Tip: Room 3 on the second floor is large, has a balcony and a shower.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

We recently stayed at the Gerloczy Rooms de Lux in Budapest -- what a wonderful hotel! The staff was very helpful, the rooms were charming and very clean, and it was a great location for touring the city. I would highly recommend it to anyone traveling to Budapest!

Room Tip: I don't think there's a bad room in the hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Nacogdoches
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

We stayed at some very nice hotels on a week-long self guided bicycle tour of Hungary's Lake Balaton wine region (http://www.vinociped.hu/), and were able to book two rooms at Gerloczy before our flight back to the US. Now I understand why booking there at the beginning of our stay wasn't possible--it's got to be the most unique amazing place in all of Hungary.

Gerloczy has fewer than 20 rooms, each uniquely designed. My husband and I had a corner room with parquet floors, beautiful bedding,draperies, upscale furniture and room amenities. Maybe my photo will do it justice. Our twenty-something kids traveling with us booked an "attic room"--oh my goodness--so unique. (Again, see the photo.)

Eating lunch at an outside table there, it became obvious that the Hotel/Kavehaz is a very popular place for local young professionals as well as travelers. The chef obviously prides himself on beautiful tasty culinary creations at a surprisingly reasonable price. The Hungarian wine list is diverse, and the frozen coffee and smoothie drinks were a hit with many of the lunch diners. They looked colorfully cool and tempting, although we didn't have an opportunity to try one.

The reception desk also gave us an excellent dinner recommendation at Rezkakas, and even called to make our reservation. They didn't first try to convince us to only eat at THEIR restaurant (which also would have been great, but we were looking for music while dining.) When traveling back to Budapest, this is absolutely the first place we will try to book.

Room Tip: We experienced two great rooms and were told that all of their rooms are uniquely decorated. The ho...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
L.A.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Great location, good price, big room. Outside temperatures were mid- 80s, so the room was not cold enough for me. Very quiet, even though we faced the cafe. Hungarian omelet for breakfast was amazing. Dinner wienerschnitzel was huge, but tough and expensive.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I had been wanting to stay at Gerloczy ever since having breakfast there several years ago on my first visit to Budapest. When we finally had the chance to stay for 3 nights in August, I was not disappointed. We stayed in one of the newly designed attic rooms (no. 2), and were impressed by the decor and arrangement of the small space. It was totally charming: a small table with fresh flowers between 2 comfortable upholstered chairs was the perfect spot to celebrate our arrival with a small bottle of wine from the minibar.

I was a little a little concerned about the height of the bed on a stepped platform. It would have been a little dangerous without our booklights to use when getting up in the middle of the night. (Hint: the hotel might want to provide a flashlights for this purpose. The bed was very comfortable, and there was good light for reading in bed.
While some people have complained about the 12 Euro breakfast, we did not have a problem with it. We decided: "We,re on vacation, let's just eat what we want". For us, the price ended up just over the 12 euro per person allotment each day, but the quality, variety and freshness of the food (especially the freshly baked breads) made it worthwhile. I am not used to eating a large breakfast everyday, but the breads were tempting, and the cold fruit smoothies were deliciously refreshing, at breakfast and other times of the day, in the unusually hot August weather.

We did not bring our computers, but the front desk receptionist was very helpful in printing out our boarding passes.

I highly recommend Gerloczy. It seems to be unique in Budapest, as many other hotels in historic buildings have very modern interiors that eliminate rather than highlight their stunning original architectural details.

Room Tip: Attic room2 has a very high bed-- it is quaint but potentially problematic.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I spent three nights at the height of Budapest's summer this year. It was our first visit to this enchanting city, and in our lengthy walks could not find any hotel that might match this one in character and location. We were initially given an attic room but paid for the supplement for a larger room with windows overlooking the square.

It is quiet, set in a beautiful late 19th century building, with friendly staff. The restaurant is outstanding. We had supper there twice, in addition to breakfast (included in the price) which was also excellent.

The only problem we faced was that the air conditioning failed during a very hot spell. I much prefer electric fans to air con and believe that these should be standard supply in all rooms, especially in cities where temperatures can rise so much. It was only when we asked for it that we were given one.

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Gerloczy Rooms de Lux? Share your experiences!