“Great place!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BudaBaB

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Budapest
BudaBaB
Save Saved
You added BudaBaB to your Saves list
Akacfa u. 18, Budapest, Hungary   |
Ranked #9 of 159 Budapest B&B and Inns
Middelburg, Zeeland, Netherlands
“Great place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I stayed for 3 nights with a few friends at Budabab, and I have to say it was definitely one of the nicest hotels/hostels where I've been. The rooms and bathrooms are clean, with an awesome shower (very important!), towels being provided, a hairdryer (also very important), and everything being superb decorated. Next to that the hosts, Ron and Ryan, are really nice and know a lot about the place. We were lucky enough to arrive just on a national festivities day, with Ron & Ryan advising us a festival in Buda which was one of the best things we've done there. We also got a nice breakfast every morning with bread, tea, croissants, and even some local snacks. There's a metro station very close by, with the public transport system being quite good in Budapest, so that'll basically bring you anywhere. And yes, it might be a bit noisy at night, but there's an extra "wooden window shield" (sort of) which keeps a lot of the noise out, and with a pair of earplugs even I was completely fine (and normally I'm a horrible sleeper).
So, I'd definitely recommend Budabab! Nice clean rooms and amazing hosts, for I really small price, I think.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
ron8317, Owner at BudaBaB, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind review. You and your friends were delightful guests, so appreciative of our efforts to make your visit enjoyable. We hope you and others from the great nation of The Nederlands will come to visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Westminster
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

My mother, her friend and I spent 4 days in Budapest. Ron and Ryan are *super hosts*. They are kind, considerate and helpful. They gave us tips about places to see, best local restaurants to eat in, transportation to use, etc. We were also happy with our accommodations. Everything was fresh and clean. Breakfast every morning was tasty and filling. The entire apartment (incl. kitchen, bathrooms, etc) was very well taken care of, furnished with taste and clean. The location of BudaBab is excellent. You can find anything you want within a few blocks from this place.

Thank you, Ryan and Ron! We’ll come back to visit you.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
ron8317, Owner at BudaBaB, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind words. It was a pleasure to have you, your mother and aunt here in our cozy small B & B. We hope you have many wonderful travels.
Saskatchewan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

This April, my sister and I stayed with Ron and Ryan while we had our first visit to Budapest. They were very helpful, suggesting places to see, explaining how to get where we wanted to go, and Ron even made reservations at a restaurant for us. We were concerned about language barriers so it was nice to stay with people who could communicate easily with us. Their home is lovely. We stayed in the large bedroom so we had access to the large bathroom at night. We did find it a little warm a couple of nights but the temperatures were unseasonably hot- over 30 - when we were there. The only other small concern ws that there are a couple of bars located on the street just below the B and B. Weekend nights can be a little noisy. However, Ron suggested that we close the bedroom window and opened the bathroom window which solved the problem. I enjoyed our stay, especially the breakfast discussions we had. Both Ron and Ryan are very knowledgable and interesting as well as being gracious hosts. I would stay there agina and recomment it to friends.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
ron8317, Owner at BudaBaB, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Thank you so much for your recommendation of our B & B. We think Canadians are especially nice people, and you added points to our survey! We hope you have good memories of the great city of Budapest (especially the Pest side!).
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

I love Budapest, and as a young woman travelling solo, it's important to me that a place is safe and in walking distance to trams and metro. This place was perfectly situated and the flat itself is comfortable, homey and safe.

I've been to Budapest several times, and staying with Ryan and Ron was by far my favorite trip! They are knowledgeable hosts who are friendly and willing to offer advice, but don't hover over you. If you want privacy, you get it. If you want to chat a bit at breakfast, they're wonderful. They also keep up with new stuff popping up around the city, and I discovered great restaurants through them and checked out the Kerepesi cemetery, which I never would have done if they hadn't suggested it.

The flat itself is fantastic! As I said, I've stayed in several places in BP and I know that sometimes apartments are not renovated as often as they could be, and in general buildings are old and look well-lived in. This place is beautifully decorated, renovated but not ikea-bland, and there are gorgeous murals on the walls. It's a very welcoming, homey space. The beds are great, the bathrooms are nice--especially for Budapest--and Ron even made a wonderful strawberry shortcake concoction while I was there.

I will definitely stay here on return trips, and plan on staying in touch with Ryan and Ron. I recommend it to anyone travelling solo or as a couple. It'll be the best city-trip you'll have!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Wien
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

BED BUGS!!!!!!...........BED BUGS!!!!!!.............BED BUGS!!!!!!!

The room we stayed in had BED BUGS. I woke up every day with what I thought was mosquitto or spider bites all over my back, the last day we saw a reddish brown bug on the frame of the bed. Not sure what it was I did a quick search on the internet for "reddish brown bug on bed" and yup, it was a BED BUG.

We mentioned this to owner and he tried to tell me It was just a beetle. This was not a beetle, it was a BED BUG. It looked exactly like the photos on the internet.

He was smug and dismissive. He offered to give us a 15% discount for our stay, We were not interested in any discount and just wanted to get out of there as quick as possible.

Now we are in the process of fumigating our luggage in the hopes we dont bring these bugs into our home. God knows how much this will cost us.

DO NOT STAY HERE, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED THIS PLACE HAS BED BUGS!!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
ron8317, Owner at BudaBaB, responded to this review, May 23, 2012
dicit_discipulo, I admire your Latin name "the disciple speaks". However, I fear you have spoken in error or perhaps you reviewed the wrong facility. Perhaps another guesthouse has a similar name. Since I live here in our B & B, I would surely notice any bed bug problem, and swiftly solve it. Of course Mother Nature's creatures challenge all of us... we have fruit fly squadrons at time, armies of winter ants, and the rare mosquito, but roaches and bed bugs do not like us and have never visited. I assure any future guests that we are committed to providing safe, sanitary, and pleasant conditions in our small 2 room residence. Please check the many other positive reviews on TA and our website.
Lexington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

The Accommodations: Like other guests, I was worried about sharing a bathroom with the hosts. However, we never crossed paths and the bathroom was immaculate and updated. And my husband and I are very picky about cleanliness. There are nice windows in the bathroom along with high ceilings, which made it nice and airy in there. The flat itself is in a beautiful traditional building with a really cool court yard. When we were there, there was work being done on the courtyard, and I have no doubt it will be more beautiful when completed.

The Location: Budabab is located right near the trolleys and subway. We easily found the place (after watching the video on the website!) and took public transportation there. We travelled all over the city, and it was always easy to get places from Budabab.

The Hosts: What can be said that hasn't already been said? They are wonderful, extremely informative, and have a passion for Budapest. We had nice chats over tea and breakfast about our travels and about the city. They created a personalized map for us and gave great food and sight-seeing recommendations.

Without a doubt I would stay here again and have already recommended this place to several friends. Thank you for a wonderful stay, gentlemen!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
ron8317, Owner at BudaBaB, responded to this review, May 19, 2012
You are most gracious to send such a thoughtful and informative review. We are so pleased that your stay was comfortable and enjoyable. We should consider hiring you for public relations! As other future guests benefit from your response, we note that the other small room guests (we are small as you can see from our website) use the half bath during the night, and we all share the master bathroom for showers during the daytime. Again, We are so happy you chose us, and we thank you for the recommendation to others. Happy Trails!
Stavanger, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

Before I start my review, I feel like I should tell you a little about us. We are 49 years old and we were traveling with our 2-year-old grandson. I have NEVER stayed in a hostel. I have only stayed in a B&B once and I swore I would never, ever again stay in a place where I did not have my own bathroom. Never, Ever! We love to travel, and we travel quite a bit and “my” part of the trip is to research and find interesting places to stay (which all include our own bathroom). When we were in Edinburgh, we stayed at the University of Edinburgh (did you know they rent out the dorm rooms for cheap during school breaks?). When we were in Stavanger, Norway I rented us a room at the hospital hotel (did you know you can do that?). I look for unusual (if possible), cheap places (with their own bathroom).

We were searching for a place stay in Budapest and I came across a site that talked about BudaBaB. I was really intrigued about staying at a place where the author had written the Frommer’s Guide for Budapest. The part that kept me from booking it right away was that it was a B&B and we would have to share a bathroom. UGH! I kept going back and forth about if I would be willing to do this, in order to stay with an “expert” in Budapest. Finally, I booked the large room which had a bed and a sofa sleeper. Even then, I kept looking and looking to see if the smaller room was going to be rented. Thankfully, it was not so I was thrilled to be arriving.

We were actually staying here as the end leg of our vacation. We had spent a week in Vienna and took the train to Budapest. We arrived and had some worries about trying to get the taxi to the right place so we decided to walk. The directions were perfect and we would have had not much trouble, except we had 3 large suitcases, a stroller, 3 carry-ons and a 2-year-old. We only had problems crossing the first main street, trying to get everything across, then the wonderful Hungarian people saw our problems and there was always someone (usually a little old man or woman) that helped us cross the streets.

Ron and Ryan have a wonderful little video that tells you how to find their apartment once you get to their street (I highly recommend that you watch it) so it was easy. We found the right buzzer, and were immediately buzzed in. Once we got into the building we walked down a long, dark corridor and then up a few steps to a very small elevator. We had way to much stuff to fit, so our grandson and I went up with some of the luggage. Ron was waiting for us at the top when we stepped off and then we waited for my husband and the rest of the luggage to arrive.
We arrived at our B&B and I was VERY pleasantly surprised. I was afraid that it would be dark, but the rooms were large, airy, and clean with very bright colors (LOVED the mural in the kitchen!). We were immediately offered tea or refreshments and after the walk we were certainly ready for something! Then we sat down and chatted and got settled. Ryan and Ron were very courteous, helpful and a teeny bit scared (they didn’t say so but I could see it in their eyes!) as they had never had a 2-year-old stay there before. And of course, I was petrified. Scared to death that our wonderful, sweet grandson would pick up the wrong thing, break something …. you know … typical toddler things.

We spent about an hour at the B&B getting the lay of the land and preparing to head out for a little exploration. Before we left, Ron and Ryan asked what time we wanted breakfast and what we would like to eat. I told them we wanted whatever a typical Hungarian breakfast would be. They were concerned about our grandson and I told them we had his favorite cereal so no need to worry about him. Then we headed out, with a map and VERY good directions on where to go, where to eat. They told us they would be out for the night, but we had their cell phone number if we needed anything. Also, we were free to hook up our hard drive to their TV so our grandson could watch Blue’s Clues (part of his night time routine). After a long wonderful day, we headed back to the B&B absolutely tuckered.

Our room was clean and eclectic. It was perfectly laid out with a very comfortable bed and a very comfortable sofa sleeper. There were lots of books to read if we had trouble sleeping, and a basket full of toothbrushes, razors, this and that in case we had forgotten anything. We fell into bed and had no problems sleeping through the night. When we woke up and went into the kitchen, they had a pot of coffee ready for me! And we had fresh fruit, bread, yogurts, meats, cheeses. Typical European breakfast.

We stayed here for 5 nights and I told them when we left, if they could guarantee me that all B&B’s were like this, then I would be very happy to stay in one again. And I’m very happy to report, that sharing a bathroom was not as big of a problem as it had been the last time we stayed at a B&B. And as an added bonus, Ryan autographed my Frommer’s Budapest Guide for me.

They bought crayons, bread shaped like a rabbit, and a toy zebra for our grandson. They also found a wooden puzzle for him to play with. They told us about the Zoo, the Circus … all the things that he would love. AND they had FREE wireless internet so our grandson could say goodnight to his mommy and daddy. On the evenings that we were back in time for our grandson’s normal bedtime of 8, they would watch TV with headphones on so the sound wouldn’t keep him awake. They allowed us to do laundry there and when our taxi came at 4:30 in the morning to pick us up, they had coffee waiting for us before we left. We came as strangers, but when we left, I felt that we had made friends. And I really hope that one day, they will come and visit us in Norway. We will be back!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
ron8317, Owner at BudaBaB, responded to this review, May 18, 2012
Wow, natowife! We were so pleased to read your swell and elegant, yup, a 'swellegant' story about your visit with us. And we're happy to be part of your 'conversion' to B & B travel, even tho you had to share the master bath... but only in the daytime; during the night, the 2nd guestroom uses our half bath. We certainly enjoyed and were impressed with your little guy, thanks to your great grandparenting! You are so suited to your first name, and your husband has a good one too. Happy Trails to you- enjoy your wondrous Norway.

Been to BudaBaB? Share your experiences!