“Budapest Fine Dining” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Onyx Restaurant

Onyx Restaurant
Vorosmarty Square 7-8 | Entrance From the Harmincad Street, Budapest 1051, Hungary (Belváros-Lipótváros)
+36 30 508 0622
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #13 of 2,011 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: Continental, Central European
Good for: Doing business, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Belváros-Lipótváros
London, United Kingdom
“Budapest Fine Dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I visited Budapest for a Weekend Break to celebrate my 30th Birthday.

As a special treat as part of our trip and being the foodies that we are, we wanted to experience some Michelin starred fine dining in Budapest. We were not disappointed.

Booking the place is easy enough, just send an email ahead of time and you’ll receive a confirmation email in a couple of days. MUCH easier than getting a booking in a decent restaurant in London!

Upon entering we were greeted by the friendly staff who took our coats and seated us at our table. It was a large table that could have seated 4, one end had a windowbox seat, which was part of the wonderful décor of the whole restaurant.

Once seated, our waiter showed us the menu, highlighted the tasting menu options and then sent over the sommelier. He suggested an aperitif, which we agreed to – A wonderful Hungarian sparkling wine. I can’t recommend Hungarian wine highly enough, please see my other review on the wine tasting tour you can do if you visit Budapest.

Both my wife and I felt that the tasting menu was too much food for the evening as we were hoping to visit a few bars after dinner so decided against it. The cost for the 7 or 9 course menus were reasonable, from memory they were both under £80.

I decided to start with the Goose Liver Torte with a main course of the Saddle of Lamb. My wife began with the ‘Award Winning’ Goulash with a main course of Venison.

Once we’d picked our courses, the bread trolley arrived. I’ve never seen such a wide selection of FRESH breads available in one go, there must have been close to 20 different choices. After each type of bread was described to us, we asked for a selection of a few, all of which were outstanding. Accompanying the bread were 3 different spreads, my favourite was the pork spread.

Accompanying the meal we chose to have a glass of a Hungarian Pinot, which again was brilliant.

Prior to our dinner, arrived the Amuse bouche, which consisted of a squid dish and a cheese ball with celery foam, both of which introduced us to the chef’s style of cooking – Great!

My Goose Liver Torte was fantastic, similar (but not quite as good) as the meat fruit from Dinner by Heston. My wife’s Goulash was wonderful, the depth of flavour was unlike anything I’d ever tasted in a soup.

Onto the main. My saddle of lamb coated in breadcrumbs accompanied by the Lamb gravy, was quite possibly the best piece of lamb I’ve ever tasted. Perfectly cooked (still pink in the middle). My wife’s Venison was also fantastic. By the end of both dishes, we were both quite full so decided against dessert.

However, this wasn’t the end of the meal! They brought over the petit fours TROLLEY. Now I’ve been to many restaurants where petit fours are provided at the end of a meal, however this was something else. The selection was amazing, close to 15 different types of cake/sweet/chocolates that were all cooked in the restaurant kitchen. After asking for a small selection of a few of them, my wife and I both felt content that we hadn’t ordered dessert as this course was a dessert in itself!

Post meal – a small gift was presented to my wife as a token of the restaurant’s appreciation, which was a nice touch.

In total the bill came to around £150, which wasn’t bad at all considering the amount of food and wine we’d eaten.

If you’re into your food or celebrating a special occasion, head down to Onyx, you won’t be disappointed!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
berlin
“Fabulous lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

During my recent visit in Budapest I wanted to try out this restaurant, one of the very few in Budapest which is adorned with a star from Guide Michelin. Without problems I could make a reservation for a lunch through the internet. “Onyx” is situated in one of the cities most impressive buildings, this restaurant “oozes” luxury. Tastefully decorated in black, grey and gold with gleaming chandeliers. Corteous, efficient staff with a smile. They offer a reasonably priced lunch-menu with three courses for a fixed price with the option to choose courses from the main menu for a surcharge. Extensive wine list with a great selection of very good wines by the glass. My starter was fresh tuna, marinated in two ways (ginger and mild chili) accentuated with pineapple and sprinkles of yuzu (my favourite asian citrus fruit). The bread selection was the most diverse and tasteful I have enjoyed for a very long time. The main course was a perfectly executed Rib Eye, the aromatic jus served separately, with purple carrots. This was followed by the final course: Poached peach with peach sorbet, accentuated with black olives, and an almond bavaroise. Also a delicious piece of culinary art!
If you have to celebrate something special or you travel on an expense account, go there in the evening. If you just love creative food of memorable quality, go for the lunch-menu. But go!

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Francisco, California
“Great food but decor was too much”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

In a city that does opulence better than anywhere else, the decor in this restaurant was beyond ostentatious. It was gaudy and garish -- mirrors everywhere with printed roses, huge black capsule like chairs... The service, while good, also felt stiff and formal -- waiters pausing behind you, so they can put our dishes down simultaneously, bringing out a huge aperitif cart so you can choose your drink, etc...

The food here, however, is very, very good. The chef knows how to cook and he especially understands textures really well. We were prepared to not like this place (based on the decor), but we ended up having a very nice time and we enjoyed our meal. There are several dishes that are derivations of traditional Hungarian dishes. We did not have the prix fixe, but even when you order a three-course a la carte, you effectively end up with six courses after the amuse, palate cleanser, and petit fours. We particularly enjoyed their prize-winning "goulash."

It occurred to me mid-meal that what they were trying to do here was to create a Joel Robuchon-like experience -- from the huge bread cart to the petit four cart to the little chocolate gifts that they give to the ladies at the table to take home, it's all strikingly similar. Even the over-the-top decor makes sense in this context (though this still makes Joel Robuchon seem understated...).

This place is for you if you're looking for a fancy, formal night out. If you're looking for the more modern, fine-dining experience (simple, classy decor, unpretentious service, etc..), I might go to Costes instead (though the food at Onyx is better).

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Paris, France
“What a good surprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Nice place, nice welcome, nice table.
The service was exactly as expected.
We took the tasting menu. Everything was delicious, good presentation, nice colors, good ingredients, well cooked!
We just had a small disappointment about one dish: cod and raspberry didn’t match really well. Even if the fish was well cooked and the raspberry sauce was delicious.
The Austrian rosé wine witch was served with it was not our taste.
But The tuna was succulent, the roasted duck liver was the best I ever ate, the lamb was excellent, the apricot desert was extremely nice and finally what a surprise with the muesli!!
To conclude : a very nice diner!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Nice
“Nice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

We clearly enjoyed our time there.
We ordered the Degustation menu with wine pairing, and even though one wine was not really our taste, we always consider this as part of the discovery experience.
One of the dish as well, the cod with strawberry consomme, was not in our taste range, and somewhat disappointed us because the way the cod was cooked was absolutely perfect. We were able to discuss it with one of the waiters at the end of the meal and we appreciated the fact that they were really curious about our feedback.
The room in itself is quite spacious, tables are not close one to another, and we liked the decoration as well.
A very nice evening, worth the price.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere