“Excellent stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 25 Hotels in Portoroz
amsterdam
“Excellent stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Will start with the not so good..no direct beach access and crowded pool.
But those are about the only bad things i can come up with.
Main restaurant is really good,as we stayed there for 6 days i was a bit concerned about the menu,it seemed a little limited.This in fact was not the case,every day the manager Mr Stojan Babic would have new suggestions for us.And even beyond that,some of us just explained what we would like and the chef would try and create that for us.
Also had some lunch at Fleur de Sel and that was excellent aswell,really friendly staff,very helpfull[thank you Daniel,Joe and Winnie]
All in all a very nice place,maybe less so for those who really want peace and quiet.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Just what we need after a busy time at a Romanian wedding and time on the road. We were given a lovely room (422) with a large balcony overlooking the sea. Masses of space with all you would expect except a kettle. The breakfasts were wonderful - everything you could possible think of and more - champagne & strawberries - and served until 12 noon! Our classic car was safely stored in the underground car park but disgraced himself by letting out bad smells and setting off the pollution alarm.

Room Tip: 422 was a really good room with large balcony
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Ljubljana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Beautifully restored old Palace hotel is probably one of the most splendor on Slovenian cost. Hotel consists of 2 parts: old Palace part with a lot of patina and a new building. I stayed in the old part in a deluxe room with excellent bed and luxurious bathroom. The room was not as spacious as I expected, but it was tastefully furnished. Breakfast is served on a beautiful terrace overlooking the garden of the Palace and the experience sitting there was just perfect. The good thing is the breakfast is served until noon. The pool is nice, with whirlpool on side, not very big, but you can swim yourself quite good. Con: hotel doesn't possess its own, private beach. There is also no direct access to it. You can go to a nearby Meduza beach which is shared with other Portoroz hotels and has entrance fee. From that reason the hotel is not suitable for longer summer holiday and for beach lovers, who would like to have more privacy and luxurious feeling as a Kempinski guest also on the beach.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Budapest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

We spent 3 nights in the hotel mid July. We experienced great service and an excellent room, nevertheless bathroom is at the smaller end. Pool area is also nice, but relatively small - compared to the size of the hotel. The only con is the lack of direct beach access and the lack of a kempinski beach section. There is a joint beach section for all of the five star hotels, but you have to pay an extra eur 15 pp. Since the sea is not nice in portoroz, we stayed most of the time at the pool area. Breakfast is great and you can enjoy it until 12!!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Tripoli, Lebanon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

very classy place, nice professional staff, big rooms , nice big terrace to have your breakfast with excellent variety and high quality of foods.
may be 2 bad points to mention, the pool is too small comparing to the very big number of rooms the hotel has , but you can still manage to find sunbeds, but the hotel has no beach.
there were no tea/coffee maker in the room ( while in such hotels it must be part of the room amenities, some of them have nespresso machine in each room ) and when i asked for a kettle they said no for security reasons , I an still curious to know what do they mean by security reasons and explain it to me and to the thousands of hotels who are offering the tea/coffee maker in room.....

Room Tip: ask for a room in the old palace and not the modern wing , which is an old hotel just next to the pa...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

We have been here on our honeymoon, and we had great Services!
The concierge was very helpful, they recommended us very good restauants;
At the breakfast we could eat tasteful cheeses and Italian bacons.
The view is wonderful

• Stayed July 2013
Budapest, Hungary
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

We had 4 rooms and it's our second visit and the last one!
We travel a lot and often to kempinski around the world , and never found something like this..
There it's so much to say, I'm not gonna make a story about this , I'll just put the goods and bads .
Goods
Consierge and choffeour , attentive and willing to help.
The Sophia restaurant , nice stuff very nice foods , too limited selection
The breakfast personnel .
Bads
I call reception for Cleanning my room because they forgot and they answered me ,at 10 pm that this it's how they do it in this hotel! Her tone of voice was categoric and not at all friendly! Next time I called she answered with "now what"... I couldn't believe it!!
At the pool you can dehydrate because u cannot get a drink until u go to the lifeguard to ask him to get u a waiter for the pool bar ironically opened but without bartender , and if you are lucky he may find somebody from the restaurant willing to come.. I wasn't lucky every day so I had to go to back up solutions in the street to buy myself a bottle of water.
Once I ordered a penne Bolognese at the pool bar, for my child and a upset waiter came with the penne, I asked her some parmigiano and she told me that they don't have! And it was hard enough to get the penne from the room service, I insisted that maybe room service may have some parmigiano and she looked at me even more annoyed , finally agreeing to ask them!! Pointless to say that when the little one was full we've got some parmigiano ...
In the rooms they don't give water for turn down service, anyway this service doesn't always happen..
I had to wake up at 7 every morning to get a bed at the pool but this it's not entirely their fault..
In the first day the pool water was ice cold, I asked the pool person what happen and he told me that some mechanic part it's currently broken, I've asked him how long will that take to fix it he was just hopefully that during our staying!
I was very surprised to see the restaurant above the pool , opened for lunch, dirty with the tables full of dust, not set for lunch at all, at first I've got the impression that they are closed! Ofcourse always empty !
We had few lunches there, the service was good, ( maybe brcause we were the only table)but the chef it's not the best!
We ordered one hamburger for the kid, they burned it out on one side and after covering that part with sauce they served it like that! I couldn't cut it ! How can the chef release a plate like that in a 5 star hotel restaurant .. I don't know!
Do not do dry Cleanning , laundry.
I did, and aprouved them to try to clean 3 little stains they told me they found!! I didn't even know about them wire the trousers for for second time,nor about the consequence of my approval !
The trousers came back with big stains of clour on both legs, when I complained I've been humiliated by the girl in charge , in the lobby with people looking at us while she was explaining to me that it's my fault, they asked me in advance , she was holding up the trousers and speaking loud until I just couldn't listen to the circus anymore and I gave up...
There are more like this but I'll stop here just for you to have an idea of what can happen in this hotel 100% full!!

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Kempinski Palace Portoroz? Share your experiences!