“Terrific restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
santa barbara
“Terrific restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

My family of four, including two well travelled adult children, ate at JB at the beginning of our two week trip to Slovenia and Croatia. It was definitely the best meal of our trip. We ordered 4 different appetizers, 4 different entrees and 3 different desserts. We each tasted all of the various plates. The presentation and taste of each dish ranged from very good to excellent. It is rare that everyone in a group such as this tastes everything, and everyone likes every single dish, but we all did. The waiter suggested a local wine, which was excellent as well. The service was outstanding. The restaurant was only moderately busy, but this was aTuesday night, and it was early in the evening by European standards. While we obviously have limited experience in this region, I would be surprised if this is not one of the best restaurants in Slovenia/Croatia. We would definitely eat here again.

Visited May 2013

81% Recommend
Gent
“Try the local wines”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

"Do you want the menu or are you going for the suggestions of the chef ?" that was the question we were welcomed with.
We chose the latter. That's what I always do because the chef puts his heart and soul in his suggestions. We were given the choice between meat and fish as main dish. The choice was at the same time a choice for traditional (meat) or mediteranean(fish). We were a group of 8 and had a mixture of both.
But let's not rush. We were suggested a Slovenian sparkling red wine as aperitif. As I like a good glass of champaign I am always a bit sceptic when offered something that is presented as a good alternative. Well, how wrong can one be. This dark red (dry) sparkling wine (Peneci Teran Jarbec - 58.5€ per bottle) was a real discovery. We all wanted to rush to the shop and get our package to take home ! A must try ! This came with the traditional "amuses bouche" from the chef.
As a starter I had some traditional local pork dish which was nicely presented but did not blow me off my chair. The accompanying white wine was again absolute top. A local, Slovenian that is, Zeleni Silvanec from the Gaube family (22€) in the Maribor area.
The main dish was fish with potatoes and traditional vegetables. A bit too traditional for me.
The dinner ended with a traditional Slovenian cake accompanied with perfectly made ice.

I'm sure this restaurant must be one of the best (if not thé best) in Ljubljana. However, the choice of the dishes could have been a bit more daring, a bit more creative. Next time I'll be in Ljubljana, I'll definitely go back but will choose from the menu (except for the wines for which I will follow again the recommendations of the maitre).

For all those reasons my overall score is a 4. I hope next time that I can tell you that my gut feeling is right and that it really diserves the 5 that I would like to give.

The total cost for aperitif (2 bottles of that exceptional sparkling wine - yes we couldn't have enough of it), starter, main dish, desert and coffee and 1 bottle of red wine and 2 bottles of white wine for 8 persons was 610€. A more than acceptable deal.

Oh by the way, there are some beautiful paintings on the walls.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Yekaterinburg, Russia
“Wonderful JB”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Luxury restaurant of author's cuisine. Best fish and meet dishes...Fine desserts and wine list. Stunning chocolate from Nina. Bravo, Janez! I highly recommend!

• Visited March 2013
Ljubljana, Slovenia
“One of the best restaurants in Ljubljana”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

They are really pros. They even got Michelin's quality stars. Food is delicious. Restaurant is fancy and stylish. also, they have great wine collection.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Paris, France
“Sophisticated cuisine, excellent wine list”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Clearly JB ranks among the best Ljubljana restaurants - by the way, for a 2 million country number of top notch places in Sloveni, making to any good 'must go' list is pretty amazing.

JB is clearly a more of a business than romantic/family place and it caters indeed to this kind of clientele. A little bit off beaten track (mind you, in a 300,000 city, it just means 5 minutes from the city center), restaurant is located on a ground floor of a bit old office building.

The food is absolutely great and chefs shows high level of flexibility to accommodate your requests - having had trouble to chose between the starter of raw Adriatic tuna and low temperature cooked octopus, we end up negotiating half portion of each,mserved together - delicious, especially octopus, looking as if it was caught 5 minutes ago, slightly warm and with few drops of local olive oil. second starter, pumpkin ravioli, was very interesting and good transition to the main course but pumpkin filling was a bit too sweet. For the main we have all ordered sous-vide sea bass, one of the best I ever had, fresh and keeping all its aroma due to cooking technique.

The wine lists contains all the best local & regional producers, including all crazy (in a positive sense) biodynami

• Visited January 2013