“A superb tour enjoying Ljubljana's delicacies” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #14 of 61 Activities in Ljubljana
More attraction details
Owner description: Top Ljubljana Foods city tour combines a guided city tour and a delicious food walk. Get to know the history of the people of Ljubljana and taste the most famous traditional dishes. Perfect for short stays and first days! Get familiar with the town and see and hear where to return for a meal, where to shop and which tourist traps to avoid. Dobrodosli v Ljubljani!
Helsinki
“A superb tour enjoying Ljubljana's delicacies”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Just a few days before going to Slovenia I found Top Ljubljana Foods' website and decided to join this food tour which seemed interesting and was reasonable priced. When I arrived at Ljubljana the weather forecast was not very promising for the day of the tour and actually there was slight drizzle in the morning...
Taking my umbrella I arrived at the staring point with great expecations: the skies were clearing. To my surprise it turned out that I was the only customer and the person who greeted me with his friend was Top Ljubljana Foods' manager himself (Alex, if I remember correctly), who had decided to run the tour nevertheless.

As a solo traveller this has happened to me in Tokyo, Riga and Vilnius and every time I have been glad that the tour has not been cancelled (In Vilnius, however, I was charged extra...)

During the next 3,5 hours the three of us walked around the old city, starting with tasty fried fish and squid at Ribca and having a look at the open air market. We then moved on to have a bite of Carniolian sausage with local cvicek wine (which were ok). Alex explained the culinary aspects of Slovenia and history of the city and country fluently and comprehensively.
The next place was Movia wine bar with absolutely fantastic air cured ham! The wine was all right but served cooler than I expected.

Strolling along the city streets we carried on discussing the local food and architecture.Next stop a little further away was at Harambaša where we had cevapčići, bread and refreshing lemonade made from fresh lemons - oooh!
Having walked by some quiet gardens which actually provide for the local market we sat down at Pod Lipo (established in 1820) and had both savoury and sweet dumplings of which the latter ones turned out better, I think.

With all this nice food, informative and professional guiding, lovely weather and suitable amount and speed of walking I was very pleased at this point. Therefore I was happily surprised when we went to the finishing point of this tour: the terrace restaurant named Nebotičnik (if my memory serves me right) where we tasted prekmurska gibanica, a poppy seed, walnut & apple strudel.
I can imagine that my experience was quite unique because I was the only customer, but
I sincerely thank my guide Alex and his friend for a very enjoyable, tasty and fun tour!

Highly recommended!

Visited August 2013

“Great tour; great food; excellent guide.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We were a small tour of four, but this may have been the best introduction to a new city I've ever experienced. The tour was thoughtful by exploring all the different cultures within Slovenia's borders (with food!) and it gave us a really good sense of where everything was (we literally ended the tour on top of a 10 story building where the guide recapped everywhere we went by pointing to it...awesome!). Our guide was also funny, extremely knowledgeable, and kept us engaged the whole time. Most importantly, he wasnt regurgitating from a script: it's clear he loves this city. It's still fairly new, but this is without question a do not miss if you are visiting Ljubljana for the first time.

Visited August 2013
“Food lovers guide to Slovenia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My wife and I were looking for a cooking class here in Slovenia, but the receptionist at our hotel suggested this tour which she had heard about herself just recently. Its a new tour done by two great ladies who gave us a run down on the city of Ljubljana and its food regions. They took us to the markets where we tried a few things and then to a number of restaurants and cafes where we tried a different plate at each place. It was sort of like a walking degustation menu and it was fantastic. After the tour we went back to some of the places and buy some products like pumpkin seed oil, salt flour, and a liquor wine that is good for digestion (needed after all the food we ate). Only thing I would have liked would to have finished off with a dessert.

One of the highlights of our trip, which just added to the great time we had here in Ljubljana. Highly recommend!!

New York City, New York
“Tasty and tasteful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

The three hours flew by, leaving us wanting for more. History and architecture together with delicious food were a perfect combination. Well done top Ljubljana Foods!

Paris, France
“Lovely urban walking tour with delicious local food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

After one year I came back to this lovely city and I saw the flyer for this tour in my hostel. It sounded interesting to go on a 3-hour walking tour and eat different local food. Actually, it was their second week of tours, because they've just started but the whole tour was very well planned. We were seven on the tour and all along we had great fun and it is a good opportunity to meet other travelers. While tasting different specialties the tour guide explained us interesting local facts regarding the food and local habits which made the tour also a very educational experience. Who would thought that this small nation has such a rich history and diverse kitchen. However, I recommend it!