“Friendly, chic, central -- but could be even better” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
2 1
Ranked #7 of 28 hotels in Ljubljana
New York City, New York
“Friendly, chic, central -- but could be even better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

Vander Urbani is a great hotel. It has an excellent location -- right in the center of the lovely old town -- but still only a 15-minute walk to the bus station. The bed was extremely comfortable, and the staff was friendly/helpful. The breakfast was good, with a nice selection of fresh fruit. The rooftop provided a great space with pretty views of the city. We stayed for three nights, and overall, I would recommend the hotel. However, there were some areas in which the hotel could improve. For example, we had some issues with the heating system; our room kept getting too warm even though we had pre-selected our desired temperature. And something was wrong was with our sliding bathroom door. It frequently got stuck and didn't open and close properly. We alerted the front desk. They apologized but said that it couldn't be fixed until Monday (after we were planning to check out). In a strange coincidence, we later found out that friends of ours had stayed in the exact same room as us, one week before, and they agreed that the bathroom door was problematic. So the hotel should have detected and solved the problem before our arrival. Also, the hotel only gave us one small tube of body wash the first day -- nothing on the second day, even though the tube was almost empty by then. On the third day, we had to ask for more. Such things should be replaced automatically. When returning to our room after sightseeing, we were also consistently surprised to see that our towels were crumpled (exactly as we had left them); no one had replaced or at least folded them. There are also no towel hooks in the room, and nowhere really to put your wet towel after leaving the shower. That struck us as a design flaw.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
VanderUrbaniResort, Public Relations Manager at Vander Urbani Resort, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for your feedback.
It is a pleasure to read that you have experienced the hotel as pretty and cosy. We would like to let you know we solved all the mishaps that you were facing, Again, please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused during your stay with us.

We appreciate that you enjoyed the breakfast and an excellent location - in the very heart and soul of Ljubljana.
We hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back in near future.

With best wishes,
Vander Team

91 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

My wife & I stayed here last week as part of a birthday treat (for me!) trip to Ljubljana. The hotel is tucked away down a little alley between a pedestrianised shopping street & a nice cobbled riverside street. The hotel is very modern, with pastel colours & mirrors everywhere. Rooms were small but adequately sized for 2 people, with a really comfy bed/pillows & nice furnishings. Strangely the toilet doors in the room were made of smoked glass, so make sure you know your roommate well!
Staff at the hotel were very nice & friendly, accommodating all our needs, recommending bars/restaurants etc. The restaurant in the hotel was very nice, with great, perfectly cooked, well presented food. Breakfast was included & had pastries, fruit, yoghurt etc as well as eggs etc to order.
The only criticism I have of the hotel was that it was very warm in the room, try as we might, we couldn't get the temperature below 26 degrees & we were there in March!
Location-wise, the hotel was perfectly located in the old town. There were some great pubs/cafes very near the hotel & even the newer part of town was only 5 mins walk.
My wife & I registered here (www.bicikelj.si) for 1 euro & were able to take a bike from the ubiquitous public bike racks to cycle round town (all for free if you only keep the bike for an hour at a time).
I'd thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Ljubljana, as it ticked all the boxes for us.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

I had such a fabulous time at this hotel - and its wonderful restaurant - I am writing about it months after my visit. I really wanted to endorse it immediately but my work schedule was too crazy. But I hope it means even more that I have kept it on my list and never just let it slip because the hotel is too wonderful to not tell others... it IS SO great I would kind of like to keep it a secret - but I know I can't fill it every night and it's this wonderful place with entrepreneurial owners (I met them by accident on my second night and my stay went from great to incredible), a fantastic restaurant & chef, amazing design... all at a reasonable price... it is a hotel of my dreams that I didn't even realize would exist in the 21st century in a developed country... and a fantastic base to explore tiny, perfect Slovenia. You will love it!

Room Tip: I think I went a little more high end... the room was bigger than a NYC apartment and far more styli...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear guest,

such a lovely review which is much appreciated by all the team.
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.
We appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again at The Vander Urbani Resort.

Wishing you a wonderful days from all the Vander Team
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

I travel to LJU a lot for work. It's one of my favourite cities. Usually I stay at Grand Union, this time I discovered this place at a nice price. It's right in the old town, just around the corner from Stara Machka (old cat ;-) bar/restaurant, about 100m from the 3 bridges. The interior has been entirely reconstructed following the design of two well-known Slovenian architects.

The essentials:
- clean, elegant decor
- quiet
- good quality bed
- proper working wifi
- excellent breakfast, including proper espresso coffee (yes, like in Italy)
- I didn't end up eating there at night, but the restaurant was full some nights, and the menu looks good.
- the bar is really nice, modern, serving proper wines, including Slovenia Movia etc.

Downsides:
- the room I had is small. The bathroom is small and narrow. This doesn't matter as much as you might think, since the entire structure is designed and built new in the last two years, so small spaces are used very efficiently. The room size is fine by me, and remember, if you want to be _right in the middle of the old town_ don't expect a huge apartment. You can go to Grand Union or elsewhere further away for that.

I will certainly go back here.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review and we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate that you enjoyed the breakfast and an excellent location - in the very heart and soul of Ljubljana

We would like to inform you that we have different type of rooms which differ by view, positioning and quantity.

The best way of booking is through telephone or by email and contacting Reservations to discuss your own requirements and room type.
We sincerely hope to be able to welcome you again in the future.

Respectfully yours,
Vander Team
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

tucked into a tiny side street, just off the main river, loved this place (though the party on roof terrace might have distracted someone less tired!). great spot for night out in the fantastic city of ljubljana. just a short funicular up to the castle and it's gorgeous restaurant.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Ghent, Belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

I booked a room at the Vander Urbani Resort more than a MONTH before we went on our holiday to Slovenia as a surprise for my boyfriend's birthday. Ljubljana was our last stop. ON THE DAY we were supposed to stay there, I got a phone call in the morning from Vander Resort, saying they booked us another hotel. Their explanation was that there had been a double booking. We got an email with the reservations of the other hotel.
I had to call back myself asking for the parking spot. They arranged it, and the girl on the phone said we could pass by Vander to have a drink on the roof and use the pool. While driving through Ljubljana I saw at least 2 other design hotels. But they booked us a room at the Antiq Hotel. No complaints about that hotel at all, but as the name says itself, 'antique' is not our cup of tea... Vander said it was high season and that this was the only available room at this standard. When we arrived at the Antiq Hotel, it turned out breakfast was not included. So we went to Vander, because this was not an equal compensation. Over there they tried to explain us what was wrong with their reservation system. Which I can understand, but... I don't believe they didn't know about this much earlier!
They were going to solve the breakfast problem for us. In the meantime we could have drink upstairs and use the pool. When we came back downstairs, the guy behind the desk was angry, accusing us of ordering a more expensive drink. Which was apparently not 'the deal'.
So, we lose half a day of sightseeing by finding out where this new hotel is, having to go to Vander to ask ourselves about the breakfast, we get the most 'antique' room Ljubljana has to offer, find out a few hours before heading to Ljubljana we have to change hotels and HE gets angry for a 2€ more expensive drink?! Big mistake.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Highly recommended if you look for cosiness, romance and that chic feeling. It is at the heart of the old city and at the foothill of the castle. a short distance from the 3 bridges. The location is its best edge although most other hotels are within walking distance. Slightly difficult to find. If you have heavy luggage, avoid the cobblestone street on the riverside and use the inside street instead.

• Stayed November 2013

Been to Vander Urbani Resort? Share your experiences!