“Superb - look no further” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Cubo
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Slovenska Cesta 15, Ljubljana 1000, Slovenia   |
Ranked #1 of 29 Hotels in Ljubljana
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Superb - look no further”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

If you are looking for something modern, pristine, spacious, air conditioned and clean with kind, personalized service, look no further. Book at Hotel Cubo. We loved our 3 night stay here in the junior suite with the super comfortable round bed and adjoining room. Location is perfect opposite the old town and breakfast is wonderful (served until 11 am). Free mini bar with soft drinks, beer and snacks is a very nice added touch. We have been in Slovenia a week and have stayed in 3 hotels - Kempinski, Portoroz, Hotel Grand Toplice, Lake Bled and Hotel Cubo. Hotel Cubo is the family favorite!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stayed 2 nights in a junior suite, and this room (of which there are only 2, so reserve it early if you think you want the extra space) is a knock-out of sleek, cool, minimalist luxury. The bathroom is just fabulous, with double sinks, lots of counter space, separate bath and shower (with huge rain shower), and a separate room for the toilet for maximum privacy. Others have noted that the shower leaks, and it's true, but it's not really a big deal - just put the mat there or another towel to sop it up. While the junior suite is just one large room, it does give you a comfortable sofa and a lot of extra space to justify the higher price tag. The bed is an enormous round bed, to fit into the beautiful sleeping alcove - it is just as it is pictured on the website. When I realized that the bed is literally right on top of the (quite busy) main road on which the hotel is positioned, I was concerned that it was going to be a noisy room. But it is NOT - the windows are double glazed, and as well, they have an electric shutter system on the outside that is lowered at turndown, completely blocking out light and also sound. When you raise those shutters in the morning, a perfect view of the castle and old town will greet you.

After your quiet and super comfortable night's sleep, you will be treated to a very elegant breakfast, with lots to choose from. The made-to-order items, on a separate menu, are included and are wonderful, as is the selection on the buffet. Speaking of food, the mini bar is nicely stocked with some basic snacks and beverages, and is free.

While the lobby is small, it is not in the least cramped, and there is plenty of room to sit, and have a coffee, or even take it to a cafe table outside to enjoy the sidewalk traffic. While we did not get any bargain on our room, we were more than happy to pay 240 Euros per night for the spaciousness and amenities that distinguish the lovely Junior Suite. The location of the hotel is superb, and perhaps quite an advantage, as you can arrive to the door by car, unlike many of those in the old town. Here you have only to cross the street and walk a block before you are in the midst of it. And this town WILL knock your socks off!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Originally, we booked at Hotel Meksiko coz we wanted to save money and we never stay in our rooms when we travel. It really is only a place to sleep, store, and shower, However, I needed a nice reprieve from a grueling 18 hour travel from Chicago to LJU so we decided for some luxury and comfort for the first 3 nights of our trip. When I contacted them 3 months before our arrival the rate was a whopping 170 Euros per night which was too high for us but a few weeks before, we decided to contact them again and the rate averaged to 125 EU per night so I just went for it. I have to say it was worth every penny. I am a hunter for value for money. Value for money does not mean cheap. I can pay 100 or 500 USD per night as long as what you get equates to a good deal then it is considered value. For this price, this hotel meets that criteria.

Prior to arrival the communication with this hotel is prompt and outstanding. Gregor Mahoric took care of our reservations and answered every question I sent him and I am one who asks everything. 5 stars for their correspondence. This is really important to foreigners who have never been to a country before.

We arrived around noon and we took the bus from the airport to the hotel. The bus stops at Ljubljana main station. It is really walking distance to the hotel but with no sleep and a lot of luggage we decided to take a cab. He charged us 10 EU which is a rip off. When you get in the cab, the most you should pay for is 5 EU that already includes the tip. I knew that was a rip off but I was too tired to argue or haggle.

When we arrived at the hotel Luca checked us in quickly. We asked for a quiet room and thats what we got, room 209 which is at the very corner. There are really no views from that room but rooms with the views would be in front, facing a busy street so being a light sleeper this is ok. . The pics you see in the website is what you get, no smoking mirrors. It felt like a 5 star hotel (robe, slippers, L'Occitane products, it was very luxurious. They even have a bowl with fresh fruit when we walked in the room. If I were being picky, in other hotels I stayed in of this caliber, they have a nice touch when we walk in since it is our anniversary which we told them during reservation - a note, a greeting card, or just a special touch but none from here, no big deal. I also like the fact that the toilet is separate from the shower/tub area, as in a separate room. The only thing I really didnt like about the room is the shower, like most european shower, there is no divider or door so the water spills out throughout the bathroom when you shower. I give the room 4.5 stars. The room is very modern, functional but yet comfortable just how I like it

The breakfast is superb and it is included in the rate. If you want healthy, tasty, quality breakfast and none of those processed meat, sugary stuff, and junk breakfast then this place hits the target. You can order omelet and toast coz that is not in the buffet table. The breakfast focuses on quality and taste and not quantity. The best thing about breakfast is meeting Simona and Barbara, we spent a long time during breakfast chatting with them after they serve us our orders. BTW breakfast is included in that rate. For what you get, you will be spending 10-15 USD per person if you go somewhere else. This is the type of breakfast that make the term breakfast included with the room rate, worth it.

The location of this hotel is great, you just cross the street and the tourist sites are all there and within easy walking distance. Yes the hotel does not have curb appeal, the lobby is tiny, the reception area very small but these things dont matter to me. The hotel does not have a computer room only ipads that you can borrow anytime. The internet connection is fast and reliable.

What sets this hotel apart is the level of service they provide, very attentive and personal to the point that you remember their names. Everyone has been very helpful. From the general manager, Sandy, the 2 ladies that work during the morning I think their names are Lisa and Sasha but the star of the show is Luca. They are so knowledgeable and really provide good suggestions and recommendations. I seldom tip hotel personnel except for the people who clean the rooms but I had to get them a small token of my appreciation for the level of service they provide. This is how hotel reception should be. This place excels in service and even rivals the likes of the Peninsula or the Four Seasons when it comes to their service quality.

We had to go from LJU to Rovinj they tried to find us the best and most practical option to do that, we ended up paying 160 Euros for a car with a driver. My only problem with this is that originally it was 170 Euros for a mercedes and I said I really dont need a Mercedes if we can lower the price. THey came back with 160 Euros for a very small car where the AC did not work at all, it was awful. If I knew that I was getting that matchbox car where the AC does not work for 10 Euros less, I would have kept the original one. I would have expected them to advise me on that. They also told us that the train from Trieste to ROvinj was 40 Euros per person but it really was 14 Euros, im thinking this was just an honest mistake. /We paid the price for convenience I guess but they did help us do the research on different options. Make sure that you have your facts to double check with what is offered just to make sure.

Im glad I stayed here instead of the union business or union executive or the best western. This is the best hotel in Ljubljana.

Room Tip: Not facing the busy street.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Fantastic location - a short walk to all the interesting parts of Ljubljana. Great service, excellent breakfast, and very comfortable bedrooms. I only stayed one night (8 June) and wish I could have stayed longer. This is the best hotel in town and I would recomment it to everybody.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room to the rear
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Trieste, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Excellent quality room: very clean, modern, good facilities
Staff extremely courteous, friendly and helpful. All spoke fluent English.
Breakfast room very nice and excellent service. Cooked to order omelettes/bacon as part of breakfast.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

One of the best hotels I've been, equal rights the boutique hotels in Manhattan, Rome and Barcelona. Great location, warm and hearty crew. Tastefully decorated and great breakfast. Crossed the road and you are in the center of the old city.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Stuttgart, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Pros:
Complimentary everything (drinks, snacks, fruit) in the room
L'Occitane toiletries
Amazing breakfast
Friendly staff that knows what customer service means
Perfect location - 2 mins walking & you're in city center!
Efficient laundry service
Cheap valet parking
Castle views
All TV channels you have at home, and then some ( in our room, you could even see/hear the TV from the bathroom
Good travel tips
Safe! Left my iPad & passport laying in the room, no problem
Friendly maids that leave a note & tell you the weather or the next day!
Hair dryer, slippers & robes in room
Rain shower head
Very modern, including the entry systems to the room
Comfy king beds & nice pillows
Turn down service included!

Cons:
Volume of TV speakers in bathroom wasn't controllable
Laundry service says same day on the sheet, but it's actually next morning

Thank you so much Cubo!!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Cubo? Share your experiences!