“Good location, dirty rooms, terrible breakfest manager” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel Kanin
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ledina 9, Bovec 5230, Slovenia   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Bovec
Bratislava, Slovakia
“Good location, dirty rooms, terrible breakfest manager”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

The hotel location is good. However bathrooms were dirty, would need renovation. The roof is made from material called eternite, which contains asbest - carcinogenous element, and therefore it might be hazardous. The worst of all was breakfast. We stayed 4nights and the only thing that has changed was sausages (converted to other type). There were no real fruit drinks, just some coloured, very sweet liquid which we couldn't use to drink... So we used clean water, there was nothing else. Very bad service was provided by the lady who seems to be a manager for breakfast who acts as private dictator, definitely not guest friendly. If you can, find an apartment rental, there is many of them.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

Superb location for mountain views and access to village facilities and activities. Well designed building with pool/sauna and garden. Big buffet breakfast but neither coffee nor fruit juice were drinkable, we ended up buying our own and smuggling it in! Coupled with the nonfunctional aircon this makes the hotel poor value for the pretty high prices charged.Its a shame because it wouldnt cost a lot to put these details right and make the hotel a real star. I also didnt appreciate being charged €10 extra everytime I wanted to use the sauna!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

I booked a couple of rooms in this hotel as I was passing through Bovec with family. It is located just off the main stretch in Bovec, and there are also road signs pointing you to the right direction. The hotel was recently renovated, yet the sytle and execution left me uninspired. If the bathrooms were included in this renovation, I could no tell, as it still had older looking fixtures, and was not up to par with other hotels in Slovenia. We had a hard time with Kanin from arrival: from the lack of parking- there were more cars parked on grass than in real parking spaces - to the indifferent attitude of the recepionist. The temperature of the room was very warm when we arrived. Because there is no AC, we slept with the windows open. Our room was a non-balcony room located on the front side of the hotel, so there was a lot of noise until about 11:00pm, and the noise started again as the bakery and supply trucks were making their deliveries to the hotel at the first crack of dawn. If I had to do it again, I would definitely get a balcony room which would have put us on the back side of the hotel, and probably given a better night's sleep. Our small fridge in the room was broken, and I was wiping dirty smudge marks off the knobs in the bathroom. At just under 100 euro's a night, I expected a little better. The highlight of the stay was an excellent breakfast, that had enough variety for the most discriminating eater.
Overall, the hotel had the personality of a large chain, and was sterile in service yet not in cleanliness. If I ever pass through again, I will probably try something else in town.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2009

The Kanin is set in the middle of Bovec, 50 metres from the "City Centre". (Bovec has a pop. of approx 1,500). On arrival at 3.00 am, we were greeted by a very friendly staff member who supplied us with a meal and a cold beer. Perfect start, replicated throughout our stay.
Everybody in Bovec is helpful and affable - without exception. If you want a relaxing holiday, with warm, but not roasting temps, this is the place for you. If you want a plethora of shops and nightlife, it ain't.
There is also a wide range of outdoor activities for the young or young at hearts like myself. You should try hydro-speeding, great fun for watersports lovers or plonkers like myself.
All in all, Bovec, like the rest of Slovenia has fantastic scenery (see Chronicles of Narnia II), friendly people, relaxation and thrills... and Beer at €1.90 a pint!. Enough said. PS. Try the 9-hole golf course. Amazing views.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2008

I have stayed at Kanin Hotel several times.
All hotel staff (irrespective of the status - from management to cleaners) are smiling, polite and ready to help.
Nice, clean and light bathrooms.
Rooms cleaned, towels changed every day.
Considering that I am quite exacting about food Kanin Hotel offer fantastic meals, great choice: five types of meat, fish, fresh salads, fruit, etc.
Good price/quality.
Moreover the location (Bovec) has incredible mountain views.
I recommend this hotel.

• Liked — location, views, polite staff, cleanness, great meals
  • Disliked — public transport could be more frequent
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2008

We stayed for 7 nights,booked via Crystal, at the end of July. The hotel is well situated in the centre of Bovec, although is set back from the main square which made it quiet. It is large and will benefit from the scheduled refurbishment later this year.

Definately opt for a balcony as the views are stunning! The room was adequately sized and I felt that the beds were perfectly comfortable. It was clean and well maintained, and the shower was first class.

I was disappointed that the fitness room didn't open until 1pm so I didn't get around to trying that out. The pool always seemed a bit full of children so didn't make use of that either.

I think some of the staff could take some 'smiling lessons' as they did seem a bit dour, particularly those working at the bar.

The only real downside was the food which was very average. It is buffet style but there is no explanation, beyond saying what meat it is made from, which meant that I was never quite sure what was going to go with what. I'm glad I'm not vegetarian as that was very limted, although there was a great salad bar. I was disappointed that there was no water available at breakfast, and as for the 'fruit juice' if anyone can tell me what 'fruit' it was supposed to be I'd be grateful! Options were pink or yellow! That said, it was filling and there was plenty of it. Dessert was gateau or fresh fruit.

Over all, we had a lovely week but might opt for self-catering if we stayed any longer as the food did get a bit monotonous!

• Liked — View from the balcony
  • Disliked — Food
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Colchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2008

We booked our holiday through Crystal for 10 days and were not disappointed. Yes the accomodation is basic, the furniture in the rooms is slightly dated but.... how much time do you really spend in your room when you're in such a stunning location. We opted for a balcony and were so glad it was beautiful to sit and just look and gaze from the room or on the balcony (although south facing so very hot). The bathroom was to a good standard, and the shower was powerful which when your hiking, cycling and taking part in watersports is needed! The linen and towels were clean as well. The beds are twins together which the continental style single duvets.

The hotel has a pool and sauna.

The resturant is fine, and as veggies it can be difficult, again the setting was slightly dated but the food was good with good choices and the staff were very friendly.

The staff at the hotel speak in all languages necessary and were helpful and friendly at all times. We didn't bring a 'beach' towel with us, the provided one for the pool and watersports with no problem.

Overall we had a great time, Bovec is a beautiful place, we understand that later this year the hotel is due to be refurbished.
We enjoyed ourselves and although basic it catered for us!

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — It was dated
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bovec
Hotel Mangart
Hostel Bovec
Hostel Bovec
#4 of 18 in Bovec
4.5 of 5 stars 28 reviews

Been to Hotel Kanin? Share your experiences!