“Good but not great!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 24 hotels in Bled
Coventry, England, United Kingdom
“Good but not great!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights on a half board basis from 21st - 24th May. We booked on a bargain deal through Balkan holidays (package was HB & accommodation only). We were given a room on the 4th floor (423) facing the lake with a view of the lake, castle and church, fantastic view. All rooms at the front have a balcony, rooms are very clean with nice furniture. So 4 stars for this aspect but...

I only rated this hotel 3 stars because of the following negative points:

- extras for the room, ie. things you'd forgotten toothbrush etc were chargeable and extremely expensive (luckily we didn't forget anything!), ie. 4-5 euros

- breakfast had a good choice, fruits, soya milk (for people who can't tolerate milk), good choice of cereals, however the hot food was barely luke warm so not really edible and only offered boiled and scrambled eggs (no fried). Also the coffee out of the machines (supposed to be fresh coffee) was awful, again barely warm and awful taste. The only other choice was instant coffee in an urn (plus tea of course)

- dinner was 2-3 star quality, hot food was only warm, mixed veg had tinned carrots. Meat and fish was ok but not hot so not nice to eat. Hot vegetarian food was poor, ratatouie one night, couscous and peppers next night, and nothing on the friday night. I asked the waitress for a omelette on the final night and was told no I had to have what there was so I ended up asking the duty manager who was very nice and did organise an omelette and delivery it himself! Luckily the salad bar was really good, nice fresh salads, cheeses, good choices. The dessert/cakes were all very much the same, sponge cake with fake cream on! However they did have lovely icecream. There was a couple of other restaurants but all the guests on package deals (Titan, Thompson, Balkan etc) had to eat in the restaurant and as you usually find the standard is not as good as it should be

- I asked for tap water as I don't drink and was told I could only buy bottled water. I find this very annoying, tap water is free! I always ask for tap water everywhere I go, most times its not a problem, this is the hotel just trying to make more money!

- the aircon in the room was a bit poor, was very weak, it wasn't that hot in May (max 20 degrees) but the room was very hot and the aircon didn't make that much difference, the temperature did really drop at night but not in the room!

- the shower did not maintain the temperature, it kept going hot and cold!

- leisure facilities were good at the hotel but for a 4 star I'd expect shower gel in the changing rooms and there wasn't any (didn't particularly like the communal changing rooms either, but perhaps that is usual in Slovenia). We took the opportunity to use the Golf Hotel leisure facilities which were superior to the ones at the Park Hotel, great facilties but it let itself down slightly by the chipped tiles all over the floor in the various pools, I hit my toe on a chipped area by the stairs - health and safety in the UK would not allow this!

- we enquired at reception about a shuttle bus back to the airport - don't be caught out by them trying to get you to take a taxi back to the airport, we read reviews of this hotel before we went and read someone elses comments about this and then we experienced the same thing. They have 2 internet machines near the reception so we checked if we could get a shuttle bus to the airport which is listed on the Ljubjana airport site, its called Zup. However the receptionist claimed she'd never heard of it and its 45 euros for a taxi to the hotel. We just went to the tourist info and booked it with them (you can also book online) 26 euros for the 2 of us! Quite a difference!

We stayed at the 4 star Slon Hotel in Ljubjana which was of a much higher quality, a big difference! The breakfast at this hotel was far superior. Also any forgotten items in the room were free.

Room Tip: We were given a room on the 4th floor (423) facing the lake with a view of the lake, castle and chur...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
SavaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Park Hotel Bled, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review about your stay. It is nice to read that you liked cleanliness, location of the hotel and the views from your room.

As far as your comments about the food are concerned I have already discussed them with our F&B manager; our guests are generally very satisfied with the variety of the food however I have to agree with you that it should be hot, not only warm. Please accept my apology regarding this matter.

We do offer a list of items which are mostly forgotten at home and therefore have to charge something. I believe it still is friendly towards the guests to provide such things. Our guests have possibility of buying special isolated glass bottles from our 'Green for tomorrow' collection which enables them to have free of charge tap water during their stay (and during the whole trip of course).

Thank you also about the mentioned technical issues; we took the necessary actions about them.
Further, our guests are welcome to visit our wellness center at the neighboring sister Hotel Golf and they always enjoy the visit. I am sorry about your hit toe.
We do have a contract with some taxi drivers who can bring our guests to a nearby international airport at any time. Bus connections are not that regular therefore guests prefer taxi connection even though it is a bit more expensive.

Dear guest, I hope I explained the points from your review and remain
Sincerely yours,

407 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Caloundra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

This Hotel was built in the thirties but has had several renovations since. I think it is ready for a new make over. The rooms are reasonably large and all have a balcony. Thi bedding configuration leaves a little bit to be desired with our "king" bed being two single beds ( made up separately ) just pushed together. The Wi Fi is free with no pass word required but there are no tea or coffee making facilities. The breakfast buffet was ok but a poor selection of hot food ..only scrambled egg bacon and pork sausage to choose from. There were however lots of cheeses and cold cuts .
Tip ask for a lake view room as some overlook the parking area.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review regarding your stay at the Hotel Park.

As we do manage six hotels in Lake Bled we unfortunately can't refurbish them in the same time. But I have some good news for you: we are aware of the fact that part of the Hotel Park’s rooms hasn’t been refurbished for some time therefore we plan to do it this year. I am convinced that our guests' satisfaction with their stay will be even better afterwards.

I wish to thank you also for other issues you stressed out – I have already discussed them with my colleagues in order to improve our services.
Dear guest, you are welcome to visit us again.
Best regards,

Trieste
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

this hotel would definitely need some refurbishment. still very 'old yugoslavia' style like furniture, bathroom, breakfast room...
however it has some very positive plus:
- if the room is on the lake side the view is magnificent
- breakfast was of very good quality
- staff very friendli and helpful

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
SavaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Park Hotel Bled, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear guest,

May I thank you for the review about your stay at our Hotel Park.
I am very pleased to find out that you were satisfied with the location and our services. It keeps us motivated for the future.

We are aware of the fact that some of the rooms need to be refurbished and I can gladly tell you that we are planning to do this refurbishment this year.
I hope that you will visit us again and remain

Sincerely yours,

Andover, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

We stayed in a Lake view room for a weeks holiday. Great views and room had everything you need including free wifi. Hotel is at a great location on the Lake and close to all the amenities in Bled. Great walks around the lake and up to the Castle. We were on a half board basis which was all buffet. The food was good but did get a little boring as geared to the large coach parties who invaded the buffet several times during the week. We did discover that if you asked reception you could swap your evening meal once a week for a 15 euro voucher per person to use at a selection of restaurants in Bled. Strangely the selection of restaurants didn't include the hotels own restaurant infront of the hotel on the lakes edge which was a shame as this was very nice and we enjoyed lunch there several times.

Room Tip: Lake view rooms are worth the extra for the stunning views.
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stopped at the restaurant fora break whilst walking around Lake Bled. The views are superb and the service was excellent. The cakes were gorgeous. That combined with a couple of glasses of wine made it a memorabel experience. Highly recommended.

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

My first visit to Lake Bled and it won't be my last.
The hotel has a great position by the edge of Lake Bled and the views are spectacular.
My room was overlooking the front of the hotel which has lots of trees, this made my room pretty dark - there could have been more lighting in the room, as there were 2 side lamps and a free standing lamp, plus the light by the room door. It could have done with a light on the ceiling really to brighten it up.The room size was good and the balcony was great too.Breakfast was fine and found plenty of things I liked each morning to eat.

Good location for shops, bars, etc.

Would I stay again - yes I would. Friendly staff too!!

Room Tip: Ask for a Lake View room - may be brighter.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Townsend, DE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

We were on a tour and had a room with a perfect view of the castle. We had a small sitting area, bathroom, dressing room and small but adequate bedroom. The dining room waitress was brusque to another diner. The location of the hotel is quit beautiful. There was 1 free computer to maintain contact with the world.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Park Hotel Bled? Share your experiences!