“Think I liked it!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Bled
Norfolk, UK
“Think I liked it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I stayed for a week in June and its taken me a few months to write this review as I was not certain what I really felt. I enjoyed my time and Lake Bled is beautiful. Maybe the wonderful weather in June and the fact the hotel gave access for swimming in the lake is reflected in my rating. At the beginning there were some odd moments and the hotel felt as though it was only just operating efficiently. The waiting staff in the mornings seemed rather bemused that we wanted to sit outside for breakfast, although that got better later in the week. maybe the sudden onset of summer with a heatwave caught them out. I did not like the fact I had no choice of where I sat for evening meal.I was offered one of two tables and no I could not sit near the window and had that same table all week. I found the food a bit hit and miss, with some good meals but also some 'odd' combinations with a rather 80's feel at times. waiting staff obviously experienced and skilled at their role.
Unfortunately I was too late booking to secure a lakeside view and my room was small and dark. Luckily weather was so good spent little time in it.
Still not sure how I feel about the hotel. I think I would sum it up as faded charm but it grew on me,and I did enjoy it, but would I stay there again-still not sure.

Room Tip: Lakeside view a must..
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Turkish first
Zagreb, Croatia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

If you're trying to find professional, polite, friendly restaurant service at Bled in Slovenia, go to the Grand Hotel Toplice fine restaurant, and you'll make your up-market trip clients thankful. Hvala from the september 2013 Kreativ Tours Canadian group!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Spent 3 nights at this hotel with my husband and couldn't be happier with our choice. We stayed in a room overlooking the lake and it was beautiful. If you're coming all the way here, I think a view of the lake is a must. The hotel is very clean, well decorated and the staff was very helpful. The restaurant Juliana is delicious. The location is perfect and we had a very romantic stay. I also enjoyed the spa and the pool. The spa has specials on most days, which was nice. Definitely recommend it. The only thing I wish we had planned would be to spend a night in Lake Bohinj as well instead of driving there and back on the same day.

Room Tip: Chose a room with a lake view. It makes all the difference.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Mostly we had a fantastic stay at Hotel Toplice. Reception and the concierge were helpful despite being very busy and the views over the lake are amazing. My first room (418) had a lot of problems - sewage smell etc - but after the first night reception found us a lovely room with a generous balcony, so I'm rating with that in mind. Bled is a nice, calm, clean place; the hotel comes across as stately and smart in the communal areas and the beginning of our stay was wonderful, with an a la carte menu at breakfast and cloth napkins. The three stars given are for these good points.

Bizzarely, standards deteriorated as the week went on (it might be something to do with the huge coach parties that arrived and the price they were paying) and the menu vanished off the tables, paper napkins replaced the cloth ones and even the nice soap in the room was replaced with horrid gritty little slivers. There were bathrobes in the first room but not the second. Yoghurts and fruit became in short supply at breakfast and they did away with the muesli and fresh orange juice leaving a very limited selection, which wasn’t topped up when it really needed to be. By Friday, breakfast was basic at best despite there being over an hour of service remaining.

The little hidden charges were frustrating and spoilt things a bit. Bear in mind that this is a very expensive hotel and we were paying the same rate each night. On the first night we got a little hospitality tray with teabags; on all subsequent nights we were only allowed one replacement teabag! The coffee creamers were also limited to one per room (when my dad needed two just to make a cup of coffee). There was a charge if you wanted more. There was also a charge for coffee at breakfast although I really think this should have been included in the room rate.

Worst of all, the boats outside the hotel are free according to reception and the website. We went to use them and it took 30 minutes to get an unfriendly lady out of the spa area to unlock them. We checked again they were free before we rowed to the island, but on our return got into an argument as we were hit with a hefty bill (30 Euros) for using one boat for 2 & ½ hours. We refused point blank to pay this; there was no sign and we had been told time and again that they were free for guests! And in that 30 minutes we’d waited for assistance, we’d chatted to people who were returning the boats after a whole morning out and they weren’t being charged for using them. There wasn’t even anyone there to charge them. The two members of staff who tried to charge us were unnecessarily aggressive towards us and the situation became upsetting for my toddler.

This hotel needs to decide if it's a nasty budget hotel with ridiculous hidden charges and a skeleton breakfast, or the smartest hotel in Bled. It came across as both during our stay.

Be aware too that the pool in the hotel is not heated (it’s fed by a cold spring), though you have free use of the heated pool at Hotel Golf which is a ten minute walk. If you book a ‘twin room’ it’s actually a ‘German twin’, which is a double bed with two single mattresses on it, not actually separate beds. Most of the rooms seem to be shower only, so if you need to have a bath, it’s best to ask for one at the time of booking.

For the price we paid it wasn't great value for money, but if you can get a cheap deal, it would be fine. As I say, it was mostly good and the lakeside location is unsurpassed. Just don’t expect five star treatment anywhere except reception.

Room Tip: If you book a ‘twin room’ it’s actually a ‘German twin’, which is a double bed with two single mattr...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
SavaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Grand Hotel Toplice, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your stay at the Grand Hotel Toplice.

I am pleased to find out that you were satisfied with your stay, with the front desk and the views. I am also glad that you liked our town as it really is nice and clean.

Further, I would like to apologize about the napkins, soap and bathrobes; they should be in place throughout your stay, no doubt about that. Same about the breakfast. I have already discussed the matter with the hotel manager and am convinced that such things will not happen again.
Additional teabags and coffee at a restaurant are subject of a supplement, that's true.

Your comments about the boat hire surprised me. After the main season our wellness staff looks after the boats and we receive nothing but compliments about them. Guests mostly stress out their friendliness… Anyway, I discussed this issue with the hotel manager too. Our guests can use boats one hour per day free of charge but we do charge 8 € for additional hour.

As far as the hotel swimming pool is concerned I can explain that we only use our own thermal water for filling it. We change it every night therefore we have to add almost no chlorine in it. Its natural temperature is around 21 degrees centigrade. All of our guests can use theremal complex of a sister hotel Golf with the biggest pool complex in town, where water temperature reaches 30 degrees centigrade.

Dear guest, I wish to apologize if your stay hasn't met your expectations. We will do our best to make your possible next visit – which we hope for – a comfortable and memorable one.
Sincerely yours,

san antonio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

great spa hotel on lake w/beautiful views. walk everywhere. room spacious. did not try spa but looked at it inside - inside pool. in the summer there is swimming on lake and large sun deck. We stayed there on Discovery Gate 1 tour. Each room had two robes w/slippers. Would like to see it in the winter.

Room Tip: street view is noisy
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

We stayed in Bled, which is an awesome location for a short holiday and, due to a misguided booking, stayed in Grand Hotel Toplice. It once must have been a great and luxurious hotel but obviously some time ago... We had a rather dark and noisy room facing the street. Bathroom was small, the Bvlgari cosmetics set, which you frequently get for free in other five-stars hotels, was for sale at a high price. Our colleagues in another hotel (four-star) had spacious and light rooms to the lake side with huge bathrooms and a balcony. We paid the same rate (as we originally booked another hotel) but they were better off. All in all: ok if you get a lakefront room and if available at a lower rate.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
SavaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Grand Hotel Toplice, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear guest,

May I first thank you for your review regarding your stay at the Grand Hotel Toplice. I would like to apologize about your booking situation. As it wasn't possible to offer you an accommodation in a 4 star hotel we upgraded you into a 5 star property. Grand Hotel Toplice is a traditional hotel with excellent location directly at the lake shore, has a beautiful wellness area and an exclusive cuisine. We therefore believed to meet your expectations – even though we weren't able to offer you a lake view room (they are extremely booked). As far as the hotel's condition is concerned, we plan to do some maintenance works after the season is over therefore I believe our guests will have even more comfortable stay afterwards.

Hopefully we will be able to welcome you again in any of our hotels.
Best regards from Lake Bled,

Ribeirao Preto, SP
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

I agree with some reviewers the hotel is a bit "tired". It is very well located, with a magnific view over the lake (worth only if you book the right rooms), it is a formal and classic building, traditional, with a beautiful lobby, but the rooms are old, the corridor with an old carpet, there is a wooden floor very noisy, and the bed is very soft, noisy and not comfortable, not compatible with a five star. The bathroom is OK, sound isolation from outside OK, wi-fi free and with good connection. The breakfast is OK also, staff from the doors are polite, I did not try the restaurant Jubliana, because there no evaluation from it and I felt a bit empty.

Room Tip: Choose only the rooms by the lake, otherwise they are direct in the noisy street
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
SavaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Grand Hotel Toplice, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear guest,

May I thank you for staying at the Grand Hotel Toplice and also for your review.
I am pleased to find out that you liked the hotel's location, lobby, bathroom, Wi-Fi, breakfast and our staff.

As the end of season is approaching it brings us an opportunity to do some maintenance works in the hotel; I am convinced that your possible next stay will bring you a bigger comfort also regarding the rooms.

Kind regards from Lake Bled,