“Nirvana Achieved in a Room with a View!” 5 of 5 stars

Grand Hotel Toplice
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   C Svobode 12, Bled 4260, Slovenia   |
Ranked #8 of 23 hotels in Bled
Morgantown, West Virginia
“Nirvana Achieved in a Room with a View!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Ten Star Room, Service, Bed and Staff. We were on a 3-1/2wk Eurail trip; the kind where one takes the next train to wherever at the next convenient departure time. I had seen pictures of Lake Bled a few years ago and knew it was the place for me. By all accounts the Grand Toplice was THE place to be. All accounts were correct.
Our train from wherever arrived at 5:30 a.m. about 10 miles from the hotel. There was a ticket window (closed), a taxi driver and a coffee shop across the street. We stumbled in search of caffeine. We were fed and caffeinated almost for free. When we asked how much the taxi to town should cost, the shop owner dropped everything and insisted on giving us a ride to the hotel...for free (I left money in the cupholder when he wasn't looking). He hauled me and my neice and our luggage and my wheelchair to the front door of the Grand Toplice - where we had NO reservations.
We arrived just as a group of a 1939 Ford Motoring Club was checking out - it was 7 a.m. by then! I approached the front desk with complete faith that there would be room for us: one look around told me this was meant to be. That, and I was too exhausted to breathe.
The desk clerk advised me that they were fully booked, but since the motoring club was leaving, they could fit us in for one night... and since I was an Honoured member of SLH, they may be able to accomodate a few more nights if I were willing to change rooms. It was 1 week before the beginning of tourist season. Boy, was I willing!
I'm not certain, but I think we got the best room in the house. Fourth Floor, peaceful, quiet, center of the hotel, LAKESIDE with french doors on to the balcony, and one of the most spectacular views I have ever beheld. Breakfast was included and was fabulous. The dining room was impeccable with a vast variety of food and REAL COFFEE!! with milk! The service could not have been more attentive or friendly.
My complete-lack-of-health issues had caught up with me after 2 weeks of traveling like an 18 yr old. I was on empty. The desk staff didn't make me beg or wheedle, they simply extended my stay - in the same room - until I was well enough to get back in the saddle.
I didn't get out of the hotel much, but I was so happy there that I did not mind. My neice went out to the shopping area a block away and brought back picnic dinners which we ate on the balcony. I spent 5 days in this hidden paradise, and can't wait to return.
It was my first trip to Slovenia. In my 56 countries of wandering, I don't think I have ever felt more cared for by everyone I met. The people were so welcoming, and the atmosphere was just plain happy.
It was an honour to be sick in Slovenia looking at the same ole' thing everyday from my room and the parlour.

Room Tip: LAKESIDE. Definitely Lakeside! Even though it is an older building, they have found a way to make i...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

358 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Nicosia, Cyprus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I highly recommend this hotel for everyone who would like to enjoy luxury in a classic hotel with the matching staff. Part of the lobby shows its living history with the photographs of famous people from business, politics etc. The breakfast hall has a breathtaking elegance you feel like you were in the last century. I would recommend to book a room which is overlooking the lake. Try the spa packages with your loved one!Bled is quite place, so there is not much to do, but it is perfect for a romantic and relaxing weekend.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Overall this hotel was fantastic, conveniently located on the shore of Lake Bled with a amazing view of the island in the middle of the lake as well as the castle on the opposite shore. The interior of the hotel was well decorated, clean and comfortable. The staff were welcoming and friendly. They also seemed to be multi-lingual and able to switch between English, German, Italian and of course Slovenian. If you plan to stay there, I suggest you pay a bit extra for the rooms with the view of the lake. One minor negative points was that they did not change our used teacups in the room on the second day. I will be more than happy to stay in this hotel again and can recommend it!

Room Tip: Room with a lake view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
plymouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

The hotel is run with the utmost efficiency and is hard to fault over any aspects. My wife and I stayed in the hotel while I was at a conference. My wife was able to enjoyed able to relax in the town and a walk around the Lake was wonderful.
The food was first rate and we had 3 evening meals which were all of a very high standard.

Room Tip: Always try for a lake side view room it is well worth paying out the extra as the views are fantasti...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We stayed a week here at the start of our honeymoon in May 2012. What an absolute dream of a hotel - the setting, the building, the staff, all absolutely fantastic.

The wedding package they have contained a few things we weren't that fussed about, but they turned out to be particularly good - the breakfast in bed was ridiculously good!

Highly recommend staying here to anyone going to Bled, it's just stunning.

Room Tip: A room with a view of the lake is essential.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Unfortuntely I only spent 3 night at this hotel but I loved this very much and enjoyed every moment of it. I hope to return as soon as possible. The food was ok but the setting and location of the hotel is worth to visit it! I can only offer to other visitors, the staff is kind and helpful!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Kildare, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We stayed here on our honeymoon and absolutely loved the place! Great great old style hotel with an amazing staff, view, food and location. Cannot speak more highly of this place - cannot wait to go back for our 10 year anniversary which is unfortunately 9 years away.....

Room Tip: definitely pay for for the lake side rooms.... they are so worth it!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Hotel Toplice? Share your experiences!