“Excellent food, irritating service” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mediterranean, Slovenian
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view
Dining options: Delivery, Late Night
Burghausen
“Excellent food, irritating service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

It somehow was a very strange evening. The food we had was excellent, no matter which of the four courses we were talking about. We asked to have the three course menu extended by a fish course which they did without a problem. From Amuse-bouche and soup to the fish, meat and dessert - everything really good. The only problem we had with the service. While the older gentleman was really attentive and exactly what I expect in a restaurant which places itself in the category "Michelin star and close to it" the waiter (a lot younger) we had for 90% of our evening seemed to be a leftover from old communist times. Serving the food from the wrong side (I expect that in such a restaurant!) to banging the cutlery on the table when replacing forks and knives, forgetting the cover (which every other table got, just not us), taking the water away from the table but then not filling up the empty glasses etc. etc. etc. I was irritated. Overall great food with great scenery but at least one waiter needs to work on himself.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Dendermonde, Belgium
“Panoramic view and excellent cuisine.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

On arrival, I immediately went for a look in the restaurant and saw that our reserved table was not set at the window. They expected two groups to dine and had put our table at the wall. I could not withhold myself from making a remark about that. Hey, it was my birthday and I wanted everything to be perfect.
Well, at arrival that evening, we saw that they had arranged our table at the window. And thus we were in for a most beautiful evening.
Damir, head of the waiting crew, and sommelier proposed a four course menue, which could be altered if any other wishes occured. Since we had veal the other evening, we went for venison filet.

This menue turned out to be rather traditional in the good sense. Colorful natural tones and dito tastes dominated. It was all: let the produce speak for itself.

Off course the winelist was a superb one, mostly Slovenian, and why not, we found out that Slovenian wines can match up with any other ones in the world.
Damir, recommended and gave explanations on wines and food. He turned out to be a sympathetic guy, in for a chat, even dared to challenge my knowledge in the matter, which off course I passed with flying banners, haha. He knows his trade, trust him, you will not be disappointed.

At the end of our dinner, I let it slip that it was my birthday and Damir immediately ran to the cellar and presented me a bottle of the house wine. Wasn't that a nice gesture?

Well, this was an evening to remember.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Restaurant 1906 is a must”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

We had a sumptuous meal at Restaurant 1906, with perfectly matched wines. The ambiance was lovely too and, even though we couldn't see the lake since it was evening, the recent renovation to the dining room more than made up for it.

What made this meal particularly special was the very affable restaurant manager, Damir Salkic. He went above and beyond and made our evening especially memorable. He even took us down to the cellar and shared a bottle of wine with us whilst talking about the history and tradition of Slovenian wine making (which is world class might I add).

I can't recommend this restaurant enough, especially because of Damir's involvement.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Catania, Italy
“Best view/fine dining in Bled”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Amazing view of Lake Bled. We went for both dinner and then again for breakfast because it was so good. Very impressed with the staff and great food options.

Paris, France
“Extremely overrated: go for lunch, if at all.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

Extremely poor service (we had to ask for the à la carte menu after being quite frankly pressured into ordering from the chef's eccentric tasting menu).

They served us a more-than-decent red wine (the white wine was a sickening, syrupy concoction, rather like the muscat wines poor families in Catalonia serve with ice cubes). They boast the best cellar in bled which mAkes me think there isn't much competition.

If you go, go for lunch as the view is extraordinary. But a restaurant should be more than a stunning panorama. Especially one that makes such extravagant claims (a rich cave manned by seasoned sommeliers, excellent game and meats, etc, none of which is really true).

Briefly: there's not much good to eat in Bled. It doesn't have the same richness of other Slovenian cities. Skip this overpriced, pretentious place and have a pizza. Save your money for places in the surrounding cities (see my other reviews).

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere