“A compromise location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Warszawa Grand

Save Saved
You added Mercure Warszawa Grand to your Saves list
Mercure Warszawa Grand
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   ul. Krucza 28, Warsaw 00-522, Poland (Śródmieście Południowe)   |
Ranked #9 of 113 hotels in Warsaw
Australia
“A compromise location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I stayed here 7 nights on a tourism trip. The infrastructure and tourism sites in Warsaw are quite spread out and there is no ideal hotel location that is close to everything so a compromise is needed. The Mercure Grand is easy to get to from Chopin airport – I caught the 175 bus to Centrum, then it’s a 700 m walk. (The bus I rode had LCD screens showing the progress along the route and the next stop so it was easy to keep track of where I was.) It is also reasonably close to Centralna railway station (the station for long distance trains) – the distance is 1.4 km, a little over 15 minutes walk. Old Town, the main tourist area , is 2.5 km away, about 30 minutes walk.

Overall, as an accommodation base, the hotel is good value for money. I had a break in my visit and stayed in 2 rooms – both were modern and well fitted out, and quite large. A curious design feature was the shower which is separated from the sleeping area by a transparent glass wall, with a curtain on the outside that can be pulled across for privacy. There is a ‘milk bar’ called Bambinos across the street – a Polish experience worth trying (the milk bars serve meals that are like home cooking, and are really inexpensive).

If I were to stay in Warsaw again I’d check if there was somewhere near Centrum but on the north side of Al. Jerozolimskie and if necessary settle for lower quality than the Mercure.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
GRELATIONS3384, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Warszawa Grand, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks from all the team for Your positive response. We're all happy to hear You've enjoyed Your visit to our capital and we hope we'd see You again.
I'm glad You find our quality top, we're constantly looking for more ways to improve though.
If You have any suggestions, please contact us at H3384-GR@accor.com

660 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I really liked this hotel. We spent three nights there last week and really enjoyed our stay. First of all, the staff are a huge credit to Mercure, really friendly, helpful and as a first-timer in Warsaw I really appreciated the effort they made to deal with my queries, mark places on maps and advise on shops. I wanted to shop for diabetic sweets, find a page a day diary and was worried about eating out as I have food allergies, they resolved all these queries for me.(For the record, prawns in Polish are pronounced 'crev-et-eh'!) We stayed until Monday afternoon and they very kindly extended our checkout time on request and organised our taxi. There was a young, blonde lady still in training, who was lovely. I think her name was Joanna?

Me and a close friend had a twin room, it was large, spacious, smart, contained a safe and I'm guessing, it was possibly designed with business users in mind, as there wasn't a chest of drawers anywhere which was a shame, but there was a desk with power sockets at a handy level to use a laptop. The wif-fi is free but a little patchy. You will get given a print out of codes to input for each day you are there when you check-in. We used 'basic' which is free, but you can pay to upgrade to premium if you wish to.

Even though I am an avowed bath freak, I absolutely *loved* the shower which had an additional rainwater feature, but there were no bath sheet or UK sized large towels. The largest was a UK medium size. When I rang housekeeping and asked for a large towel, the same size was bought up to me! Not the end of the world, but if you enjoy a large towel maybe pack one. I enjoyed the dinky complimentary soap, it had little massaging nodules on it, which was a nice touch.

The tea/coffee caddy carries no hot chocolate, but I was given a delicious one when I asked for one with my breakfast, it might be an idea for the hotel to add at least one sachet in for fans especially as Polish hot chocolate is delicious, I was really pleased that during my second breakfast the greeting waiter remembered me from the previous day and asked if I'd like another with my breakfast.

The breakfast spread is a mixture of hot, continental and Polish. I loved the fish platter, that was a first for me, keep an eye out for the salmon, it's yummy. Plus the soft cheese selection featured triangles of mushroom and paprika flavoured cheese too in addition to plain. The biggest and most pleasant surprise was seeing a trio of vodka bottles - honey, cherry and hazelnut I think? It would have been nice if the pastries had been rotated for a little more variety, simply because the selection in bakeries is stunning, and if there had been one high fibre cereal on the breakfast station. But despite all this, there is plenty there to enjoy, lots of fruit, yogurts, deli food, cheeses and unusual pickled vegetables like baby squashes.

The hotel is extremely well located for the town centre, much of the most attractive sights and shopping is in walking distance, go to Empik, it's like Borders, I miss that shop, so I loved it. and I never felt unsafe when returning late at night. Plus Warsaw has a C&A! That was a huge surprise, it reminded me of checking out Clockhouse as a teenager.

I also used the free wet sauna in the basement, there are two, one in each changing room. Don't be afraid to set it to '5' it doesn't get that hot until about 10mins into its cycle, if you're going to use it, be patient. I'm guessing maybe because it's unsupervised they've installed one that a generic user can use safely? When I first went down to use it and found it off I thought it might be out out of use, it wasn't, you are expected to operate it yourself. There are instructions on the wall in English and Polish. I guess I'm just used to the ones in the UK gyms being in mid-flow all the time?

If you can get a good deal price wise, I'd recommend the Mercure for sure, for the wedding rate negotiated price my friend paid, it was excellent value for money, but I really wish the toilets were soundproof or carpeted, or the door extended down to the floor. We were pleased it was next door to the bathroom though rather then set inside it. Me and my friend had hysterics at how badly and extra loudly the sound carried when one of us was using it! It's a good thing we're close. I don't know if all the rooms were like that?! Not sure how I'd cope or keep a straight face if I was sharing the room with a work colleague or on a first romantic weekend away?! I'd be mortified or insist the telly was on at the same time. But for a well-appointed, safe location, good food, great showers, amazing, faultless staff, nice beds, this hotel for me gets a very solid four stars. I'd go back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank You for sharing Your opinion. I am pleased to hear that You've enjoyed Your time in our hotel and I hope You'll visit us next time to see that we have even more to offer.
Your comment has already been shared with the team and we all loved it, it has motivated us for the future actions.
If You decide to see us again, please leave us a tip on H3384-GR@accor.com

You can expect the best.
Linkoping, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We spent three nights at the Mercure Warszawa Grand and enjoyed our stay there thoroughly. We had booked a "superior" room and it was very spacious and apparently recently renovated.

The bed was comfortable and large and there was also plenty of room in the shower. One slightly unusual feature of the shower was the glass wall towards the bed.

The location is very good, a short walk from Centrum (main railway station, Palace of Culture) and with a stop for the airport bus about five minutes walk away.

My only complaint was that the wifi was very erratic. We'd been upgraded to premium wifi and it was still occasionally very slow and sometimes just wouldn't work at all. The staff at reception were aware of the problems and couldn't do anything about it. You're also limited to two devices per room and that's a bit miserly these days.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are probably quieter and the superior rooms are very spacious.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
GRELATIONS3384, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Warszawa Grand, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank You for Your positive feedback. We'd like to express our deepest thanks for leaving a good opinion. We're glad You've enjoyed our Superior room and we hope You'll visit us again to try the Privilege - the room that takes care of You.

Regarding the wirelesss internet issue, we're constantly looking for a way to improve the service. We haven't put any limit onto the system, which means that You can use as many devices as You wish. You can have countless number of codes but You can only work on one code with maximum two devices.

We're still working on getting this system improved so if You decide to visit us next time You might notice that it changed completely and it's even more user friendly.

Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

One of Warsaw's biggest hotels. Located a few blocks from central station and skyscrapers, app. 25 min walk to old town.
Luxury and pretty impersonal, like these type of hotels use to be.
The breakfast buffet is Superb! Rooms very nice, quiet n' comfy, our had separate toilet which was really good when you're two persons. Bed mattresses somewhat hard.
One or two English speaking TV channels (rest dubbed)
Restaurant at hotel is okay but you will find more culinary experiences downtown (like the Platter bar)
Small fitness and sauna facility, high speed Wi-Fi with excellent coverage.
Price for us (2 persons in a twin-bed room) was about 240 euro / 3 nights. Seems to cost less during weekends.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank You for leaving an opinion. It's great to hear that we've left a positive impression.
I will share Your comments with the rest of the staff and we'll keep up the good work.
If You have any other suggestions please let us know.
I hope to host You again soon.

Lisbon, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

This hotel is located at the central area of Warsaw city, 5 minutes walking from the central train station and 35 minutes, by bus, from the airport. Spacious rooms, very clean, quiet and good environment, safe with dimension for storing a PC, beds very comfortable and spacious, bathroom good but with no tub, employees at the front desk very helpful and friendly. Is boring having to request a WiFi password every day as well as the poor quality of the internet signal with great oscillations. Very good breakfast, with wide variety of dishes but somewhat slow at cleaning the tables by employees mainly between 8 and 9:30 am. I strongly recommend and hope to return to stay here on my next trip to this city.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Warszawa Grand. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Very nice hotel with all facilities that we expected at this standard. It was in a convenient location and close enough to walk to the old Warsaw area. The staff were very obliging and assisted in our travel enquiries. Would be happy to stay again on any future trip to Warsaw.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

GRELATIONS3384, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Warszawa Grand, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate Your positive opinion on us and we'd like to thank You for choosing our hotel in the first place.
Everyday we try to make our best and deliver the best possible service.
I hope we will see You in the future and You'll have an even better stay than the last time.
If You decide to do so, please contact us at the Guest Relations on H3384-GR@accor.com

Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Hotel Mercure Grand... is all grand inside but one particular member of their check-in staff was damn right rude...!… : in depth review and tips below:

ul. Krucza 28, Warsaw 00-522, Poland (Śródmieście Południowe)

I visited this hotel for two nights while interrailing in September 2013.

Our original package (was for a double room and bathroom). The hotel is a four star hotel. Tourist tax does not exist in Warsaw at the time of writing.

The hotel is located 15 minutes walk away from Warsaw's main central train station.

Nevertheless, we arrived at the hotel, which was nice and grand. It has been restored from the old Soviet days and looks grand during the day and dazzling at night. We arrived to check-in at approximately 2230hrs. The male check-in staff checked us in and we were on our way to Room 118. He was over enthuastic in welcoming us or smiling much at all, but he got job done of checking me and the fiancé in.

A lift is available to assist you with luggage. We had no porter service. We were not shown to our rooms. Complimentary water and hot drinks were available in our room.

The hotel has several floors. We were on floor 1 in room 118 which was a nice spacious corner room. We had a partial view over the road (please see photos).

Room 118 had: a double bed; tv; lights; wardrobe; bedside tables; secure safe, cupboards, fridge (minibar with free complimentary drinks and some items that cost), dining table and chairs, sideboard and a modern nice shower, sink (with complimentary toiletries); separating toilet; towels, slippers, dressing gown and a hair dryer. See photos for an idea of the room. Laundry service available if you needed it.

The room was very spacious and tall and the decor matching the hotel's theme. Everything was nicely presented within the room.

For breakfast, we did not have this included in our package. But the breakfast menu and other meals were available throughout the day at an additional cost.

The bed was comfortable and we had a good sleep... eventually. On the first night, there was loud music playing from the bar up until 0100hrs. Didn't complain as was so tired, that fell asleep soon. The second night was no problem. The whole apartment was clean. Just beware that being on the first floor and in Room 118 was above the bar/restaurant...

There is free Internet in the lobby and in the rooms. Wifi connectivity was satisfactory. It dipped in and out sometimes, but was generally okay and better.

Following our first night there, we went to Guest Relations to get some tourist information and directions on the morning of the 27th September 2013. Unfortunately, there was no one at the desk at the time, so we queued up at the check-in desk after waiting 5 minutes. We queued up patiently in the busy line and when it came to our turn, we were being served by a brunette woman with glasses (her name beginning with the letter 'B' on her badge). We kindly asked her whether she could provide us tourist information on a few particular site and assist in providing us a tourist map. She informed us to go to the Guest Relations Desk, in which we told her that there was no one there. After that point, she snapped at us and told us that she had other customers to serve - in which by her remarks, we were severely disappointed, offended and disgruntled by her attitude and tone. She made us felt second class and unimportant as guests at the hotel and had put others before us. We were not impressed at all.

Eventually, another member of staff, Bart (who apparently worked at the bar?) assisted us with providing us directions, tips (plus a free tourist map) and guides to several tourist locations and good restaurants around Warsaw. He was very polite, cheerful and chatty. He was being helpful and providing us sound advice for 15-20 minutes. He also informed us that there is a bus that you can take to get to Chopin Airport (Bus 175) from the main boulevard down from the hotel. You can also take this bus from the edge of the Old Town/University area. The bus journey to airport takes 30-35 mins and can get busy. You can pay on the bus with a credit card or pay coins to the bus driver. Journey cost us approx 4.50 zlotys per person (nearly a £1 each). The bus driver may not accept coins if he has none or if it is really busy, so make sure you have an activated credit card.

The service by one lady has made this hotel receive the worst service score that I have given during our Interrail trip (where we had been at 9 other hotels/apartments across Europe where their service was generally much better than what we received from her). The staff at your Guest Relations (Bart and others) has fortunately rescued that score to a higher 5/10. If it were not for them, the service score would have been a 2/10...

Anyway, the hotel is conveniently located in the middle of the city and is between (highly recommended visit) Lazienki Park (20-25 minutes walk away to the park centre) and Warsaw's old town (20-25 minutes walk away). The hotel is in the best location for going to both areas and there is decent public transport in the area which Guest Relations may assist in informing you where and when to hop on. Warsaw is less tourist-focused than Krakow and we felt that the area was clean, pleasant and revitalised.

The price for this hotel was good (less than the price of a Premier Inn in the UK - cost us £40 ish per night. Definitely value for money for the quality, space and comfort of the room in Warsaw. There is a complimentary fitness centre and sauna available for use in the hotel.

Overall, the staff (at Guest Relations), comfort and location was fantastic. The staff at the Check-in Desk need to be more cheerful and for one particular woman - less rude. If I had to come back to Warsaw, I would consider to come back to this hotel if they improved the service at their check-in desk to the standards that the folks at Guest Relations have...… My overall score would have certainly been considerately higher and possibly 10/10 if it was not for the sheer rudeness of one person. That one person has slightly blighted our Warsaw stay at the hotel, but besides that, the rooms and the hotel was great.

Food = N/A (breakfast and other option are available)
Service = 5/10 (Check in Staff brought this down to 2/10.. but Guest Relations staff were really good to give it a more respectable score)
Atmosphere = 9/10
Value for Money = 10/10
Sleep Quality = 9/10
Rooms = 10/10
Location = 9/10
Cleanliness = 9/10
Overall = 7/10 (would have been considerably higher if it was not for the rudeness of one person)

Twitter: @hanstar007 - Scouse BBC (British Born Chinese!) Civil Engineer interested in anything funny, useful, photos, places, tech & food! Pro at: badminton, footy & snowboarding ;p
United Kingdom ·

Room Tip: Room 118 is a good spacious corner room with modern fittings. Overlooks main road. Can't hear...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

we appreciate very much all your comments and remarks about our hotel and its services. I wish I could read a more optimistic review, but we are certainly thankful for all your points and concerns, both the good ones and the less positive ones.
Moreover, I understand your disappointment and frustration about the inappropriate behaviour of our receptionist and I would like to ensure you that we also don't accept it. What's most important in regards to this, I would like to apologize for this situation and inform you that we took appropriate steps in order to prevent it from future happening.
Unfortunately, the service reflected in overall score which was far beyond our expectations. However, thank you for emphasizing that other employees were polite, cheerful and helpful and rescued the opinion of our hotel.
Our goal is to reach the value of money not only for quality, space and comfort of the room, but most of all we focus on our quality service and the low score in this particular aspect makes us especially attentive.
Besides, we would like to thank you for noticing other nice points about our hotel such as decor matching the hotel's theme, very comfortable bed, nice presentation within the room or satisfactory internet connection. This shows that beside one particular behaviour other factors are also taken into consideration. I can ensure you once again that after your review, we discussed the situation in order to correct the behaviour of the receptionist.
Despite the described experience, we hope that you will give us another chance and we will have again an opportunity to welcome you at our hotel and most of all to show you how we progressed in our service quality.
For future reservations, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Joanna Piotrowska
Guest Relations Manager

Been to Mercure Warszawa Grand? Share your experiences!