“Nothing fancy but good location” 4 of 5 stars

Savoy Hotel
ul.Traugutta 6, Lodz 90-107, Poland   |
Ranked #21 of 34 Hotels in Lodz
Boston, Massachusetts
“Nothing fancy but good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

When was the last time you stayed in a hotel with an elevator operator? Or were handed a key you'll want to turn in at the desk rather than use your rollerboard suitcase to haul around? Or walked into your room to find a single twin bed?

There's a fancier hotel out by the new Manufactura Mall, but if you want to get more of a feel for the history of this old textile city, the Savoy (or the Grand, where I did not stay) put you right in the middle of Piotrkowska Street (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piotrkowska_Street).

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

• Polish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

25zlotys by cab<£5> from airport,just along from what would have been the communist 'best 'hotel in town i was delighted by its location,price and ambience.as i was not looking for american style accomo,this suited me perfectly for exploring town,the bars and restaurants withou the need for taxis or public transport.the staff were excellent and helpful and my bed was brilliant<a few wodkas mayhave added to my restful sleep>my one criticism would be the hot water didnt get very hot!breakfast fine,restaurant good for the polish stuff i wanted anh keenly priced.i spent 3 nights ,no problems

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

From the outside, the hotel look unkempt and not appealing in the slightest.
Inside the Hotel the main lobby has a strange soviet era charm, Staff were very helpful and polite. The lift is servied by an elderly gentleman which is rather nice.

The room itself was very clean and was far above my expectations, sheets were changed daily and bathroom was amazingly clean. I never head breakfast in the hotel as i was just sleeping there. however I would use again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Chorley, Lancashire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011 via mobile

This is the second time I've stayed at the Savoy...I've had my last two summer holidays in Lodz (it isn't really a holiday location, but the nightlife and summer hedonism amongst industrial grime is fabulous). The rooms in the Savoy are spacious and comfortable...the staff seem unfriendly but I think they are just serious about their work...they speak English but not that fluently unlike in some other Polish hotels. The lift is very old and rickety and you are not allowed in unless you are accompanied by a member of staff but there is always an eager young boy at hand to operate it for you. The breakfast buffet has plenty of choice amnd you can order freshly cooked sausage, eggs, omelette etc from the kitchens if you like. Its a stone's throw away from Lodz Fabryczna train station and the buzzing life of Piotrkowska street and the hotel is great value for money...I had a great time both this year and last.

• Stayed July 2011
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

I travelled alone for a conference and chose Savoy because it seemed to have more character than Centrum. I asked for a retro style room, which was not available, but I was assured I d get a superior room. Indeed, my room was very spacious, very clean and had character. Staff, from cleaning ladies to porters and receptionists, was very helpful (apart from 1 exception) and breakfast very satisfactory, with a personal touch. The hotel is under refurbishment, so i do not know if i was lucky to have a refurbished room, but, overall i would recommend this centrally located, cozy hotel. One thing to note: free WiFi only at the seating area on the groundfloor.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Birmingham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2008

Me and my boyfriend stayed there for 3 days. When we arrived and entered our room we noticed it has not been cleaned after the previous guests. We went to the reception and they told us we need to wait 1 hour before they find other one. We also informed the reception to provide only still water for us, but when we came back and entered our new room, we had only sparkling water available there. The elevator was so small and old that we were scared to use it,.. and it worked only one way. The room- nothing special. The staff spoke little English and we had a problem to communicate with some of them. When we wanted to check out, the lady at the reception said she is not sure if we paid for the stay so she needs to check it (they asked us to pay when we checked in!). I heard the hotel has been renovated recently but what they should do at first place is to replace the staff!

• Liked — Location in city centre
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Tipperary, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2006

Stayed here on a saturday night in July. Hotel was quiet and didn't have much character about it. Single room was adequate. It was just under 27 euro for the night. I slept in for breakfast so can't comment on that. Very good location just off the main street and good value. There was also quite a lively nightclub directly across the road.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Little dull
  • Tips/Secrets — Book on official website, it's cheaper!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Savoy Hotel? Share your experiences!