“An experience exceeding our expectations” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Type: Sports Camps/ Clinics, Sports
More attraction details
Owner description: Active Therapy provides active holidays in Zakopane area for people with passion for outdoor sports. Our activities are suitable for children and adults, individuals and groups, able and disabled. Active Therapy Ski School runs one of the best adaptive skiing programme in Europe. We use wide range of the newest adaptive ski equipment. We have professional ski instructors who are fun, friendly and experienced in teaching skiing people with all disabilities and all ages. We do ski lessons in Zakopane, Białka Tatrzańska, Karpacz and in Alps - Austria, Switzerland, France) Our summer programme includes: cycling with adaptive programme for disabled riders (hand bike), hiking and sightseeing, massage and physiotherapy. We provide suitable adaptive equipment for disabled people (mono-ski, dualski, outriggers, handcycle, outdoor sports wcheelchairs).
Holmfirth, United Kingdom
“An experience exceeding our expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I started to ski 25 years ago when I realised that if I didn't learn I would watch my husband and 2 sons and feel left out. The first few years were challenging but I began to love the freedom and even a little speed. We skied in France, Austria, Italy and Canada and the hobby became a career for one of our sons who is now married and working in the Alps. We also own a chalet and enjoy a resort which is as busy with mountain activities in Summer as it is in Winter.
There is however a problem as in the last 10 years my ability to ski has almost gone. I have come very close to throwing away my helmet, skis and goggles but decided to give it one last chance,
My problems are caused by Parkinson's disease and I have spent hours trawling the internet and asking about assistance for a former keen intermediate skier. I met the amazing Catherine Cosby of Ski 2 freedom foundation and she both encouraged me and introduced me to Dominik at Active therapy who was positive about my plan to relearn how to ski. We had hoped to find an instructor in France and didn't intend to travel to Poland but i am so glad we did. The Hotel Banya was excellent and we will go back.. It is comfortable friendly and welcoming and also considerably less expensive than it would be in France let alone Switzerland. Dom is a simply fantastic. He worked hard and expected me to do the same but was also sensitive to the symptoms and impact of for me of a progressive condition which has, for roughly 10 years tried to take away from me my balance energy, coordination, flexibility and confidence. I have much more to do but Dom at Active therapy has given me hope and I am already planning my next visit. He is simply the best and I know that , with his teaching there will be more progress. I can't wait! The actual ski area is wonderful too as this is a new resort and the design is tailored to provide graduated slopes wide and perfectly groomed. Unfortunately we had booked in a busy week so the slopes were a bit crowded and queues grew longer as the day moved on. But we will choose our dates more carefully next time. I also hope I will be well enough to try the floodlit evening skiing.

It's all there to try for and I just need the courage to keep on trying so that Dominick wil do the rest.

• Polish first
Rochdale, United Kingdom
“Disabled Ski Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We have just returned from Bialka Tatranska staying at the Hotel Bania Our paty included my son Carl who uses a wheelchair since his road accident The attention and skill shown to Carl whilst both skiing with the sit ski and throughout our stay by Dom Jonas can not be praised too highly The equipment used by Active Therapy was of the highest quality The Hotel was suggested by Dom and was very wheelchair friendly The resort was very suitable for us with everything being within wheelchair pushing distance The ski slopes offered more than enough variety for our needs We just wait to be able to return Thanks Dom

Visited February 2013
Chester, United Kingdom
“Brilliant Ski Instructor”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

As someone who learnt to ski late in life I have always been a nervous skier but thanks to Dominik's endless patience I am still able to enjoy time on the slopes each year. I have skied with Dominik for the past four years and I have never had a better instructor and can highly recommend him. I have skied with him in France, Austria and Switzerland as well as Poland. Skiing in Poland was a new experience for me and I thoroughly enjoyed it finding some of the slopes somehwat gentler and more suited to my ability.

Dominik has also taught a group of School Children for me with members of the group as young as 3 years old, which is normally unheard of for a school group to include such young children, but his patience and understanding with them was amazing. Within three lessons he had them all skiing down the slopes and confident, even the three year old! They are all still talking about how much they loved Dom! His skill in teaching both adults, able bodied children and children with learning difficulties is excellent.

I cannot recommend Dominik highly enough so book him early if you do not want to miss out.

Baile Tusnad, Romania
“adaptive skiing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We traveled 850 km to Poland to give opportunity for a blind child to learn skiing and I can say that it was the best choice. I think the first impression and experience is very important in everything, because those affect our further motivations and attitudes. Within the Active Therapy, this child had professional skiing lessons and got everything he needed, all the necessary assistance, patience, attention. He also had a specialist who knew how to work with children with special needs, which is an essential condition to do successfully work with them. The child started on the first day with rejecting the equipment and the skiing, but after five days he left smiling and did the half a day way home in ski boots and helmet, which we consider a visible result.

Provitalis Association, Romania

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Tailor made ski & sitski at reasonable cost”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had a fabulous week's ski-ing holiday at Bialka Tatranska,and much of that was due to Dom Jonas of Active Therapy. We contacted Dom in the Autumn as he had been an excellent instructor for our 11 year son Daniel last year in Gstaad. Daniel has Down's Syndrome, a severe learning disability and Autism. He cannot speak, sign or copy, but loves motion, both on skis and being zoomed down a mountain in a sitski.
Dom asked if we would consider Poland. We said yes, and that we'd be looking for a reasonable priced hotel right beside the slopes. Dom gave us various options and prices. We opted for the Bania Guesthouse, joined to the brand new Bania Hotel which opened in December.
We arranged our Jet2 flights to Krakow. Dom met us at the airport and drove us to the Hotel. It met our needs well, cosy rooms with lots of wood and character and excellent buffet breakfasts and evening meals. The evening meals were a bit early for us - you had to be in the restaurant before 6pm, but there was an inexpensive a la carte option in a a traditional Polish restaurant in the Guesthouse.
What made the Hotel great for us was the proximity to the slopes. Skihire was at the back. Fifty metres away was the ticket office for lift passes (less than half the cost of most Alpine resorts), then it was straight onto the slopes, 2 Nursery and 2 with chair lifts, leading to a wider ski area.
Daniel has good balance and can do a pretty good parallel. Unfortunately, he can't stop, so Dom, a qualified physiotherapist, worked on muscle memory. A wedgie kept ski tips close, space bar heels apart and he steered Daniel with reins attached to his boots.
There was a lovely long blue run after a couple of chair lifts. 1064m in length, it was perfect for Daniel getting into the motion of ski-ing. By the end of the week, he came down it 6 times with Dom steering. It meant we could ski together as a family, doing some extra runs in the afternoons with Daniel in the sitski.
If you want challenging reds & blacks, this is not the place for you. If you want virtually guaranteed snow at a low altitude, it's a good place as snow cannons are at work all over the resort providing it is cold enough. Another bonus is the floodlighting, making it possible to ski from 9am until 10pm. For evening relaxation, there is a huge thermal spa complex at the back of the hotel.
I would have no hesitation recommending both the resort and Dom of Active Therapy. My only reservation is that he is so good, we still want to have him as our instructor in school holidays next year, and hope that this review doesn't mean others get in first!