“A Wonderful Stay at the Garden Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Garden Hotel
Ul. Piastow 14, Boleslawiec 59-700, Poland (Formerly Shanghai Hotel)   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Boleslawiec
Beaver Dam, Wisconsin
“A Wonderful Stay at the Garden Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

We stayed here during a shopping trip for Polish Pottery. It was a wonderful little place. We
had dinner and breakfast here. both were good. Our rooms were very comfortable and adequate. The staff was helpful and friendly. We especially appreciated the antiques in the
rooms and halls. They were just beautiful and well cared for. Everything was very clean.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Polish first
Parsberg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

My friends and I stayed here overnight on a trip to buy Polish pottery. It was a busy weekend in Boleslawiec and it was kind of last minute and this was one of the only hotels with rooms so we decided to give it a shot. We're so glad we did! The exterior of the hotel is beautiful and historic. The interior is decorated with a lot of fun and interesting antiques. We stayed in the Triple room which was huge with 3 twin beds and a giant bathroom. The room was clean and comfortable and very decently priced.

We ate both dinner and breakfast at the hotel. Dinner was quite a treat! We ordered 5 different things and shared them all. The cheese pierogis and fried potato dumplings are a must try! We seriously considered going back for lunch the next day to get more of both! Breakfast was typical German fare with bread, cheese, meats, and yogurt.

On top of all this, the staff was amazingly friendly, spoke good English, and were very knowledgeable about the area. When we return to Boleslawiec for more pottery, we will be stayin here again!

Room Tip: We stayed in the triple room with 3 beds, a huge bathroom, and a balcony.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Prague, Czech Republic
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

This place is in an interesting building and garden just 10 min walk from centre.
I'm glad I never read the old reviews because there was no disco, and staff were very helpful. Is probably 3.5 just below very good..

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2011

My friends and I recently stayed here while on a pottery shopping trip. The staff was very friendly and helpful upon check-in. Our rooms were very nice and clean. Earlier reviews mention loud music, but there was no music being played during our stay. In fact, it was VERY quiet all night. I would gladly stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011
Aalborg, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2010

Visiting as a group we saw 8 rooms. They are all different adding a charm to this very big building!
Meals are served with a smile and parking as well as Internet (Wi-Fi) is working fine and for free.
Reception was helpful. Nice weather adds to the total impression..

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

This was the worst experience on a trip I have ever had. So bad in fact, it has prompted me to write my first review ever on trip advisor. The hotel staff was not helpful – clueless would be one word to describe. Upon check-in, several staff members tried to figure out who from my group was in what room. I was told in my confirmation email that I reserved a "superior" room, and trust me - NO rooms in this hotel could ever be superior. Several people had to switch rooms, as they were given a single instead of a double. We also had to explain all this to the staff as they again were clueless. My room had two single beds, and upon opening the door, I felt a rush of heat. It was the middle of August and quite warm during the day. When my friend and I went to the window to let in some air, we found there was no air to let in. The window opened into some kind of hallway with a roof over it, so no fresh air could be let in. It must have been 80 degrees in there. During the night, I got very little sleep, partially from the techno bar playing music till 4 am, and partially because I was sweating like crazy. The next morning, when I went to the front desk to ask for a fan, they seemed to have no idea what a fan was, nor could they offer me one. So I had another night of roasting in an oven to look forward to... My friends and I were also kicked out of the garden with no explanation, and we were told to move our car because the spaces in front were reserved for the weddings that were going on. Breakfast was a joke, instant coffee with unidentified meat products wrapped in some gelatinous substance. Nothing made sense, there was random furniture in the hallways (nasty baby crib), random stairs not even attached to the wall, no amenities, and horrible service. Everything was dirty, and I could not wait to get away from this place. I was not expecting a luxurious hotel experience when I booked a trip here, but I expected a clean room and friendly service. Never-ever-ever-EVER stay here.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Harrogate, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2009

can say without any hesitation that this hotel is the worst hotel I have ever been to. This was a weekend of misery; it was like a bad joke that would never stop. The staff of this hotel could care less they were all useless humans who had to be laughing to the bank, for ripping us off. We were a group of 25 people in Boleslawiec for Polish Pottery shopping and the polish pottery festival. Every one of us had problems with this place. DO NOT STAY HERE, NOT MATTER WHAT! The hotel markets itself as a high-end hotel trust me it is not. It is also very important to note that this hotel has changed its name many times and even today uses many names, they are; Hotel Garden, Garden Hotel, Villa Garden, and at one point were the Shanghai Hotel.

At check in they had no idea what rooms had what type of bedding. Some of us booked so called superior rooms, some with 1 beds and other with 2 beds. It was like playing musical chairs for us all to find rooms that matched our reservations. The staff was clueless, and could care less.

In my room one of the single beds had no mattress on it, only a box spring. Yes there were sheets on a box spring! I went back to the reception desk and ask for a mattress, they were told there was nothing they could do. So I had to suffer for 2 nights, at this point I was trying to find some other hotel to move to but with the festival in town all the hotels were sold out. The staff rudeness and uncaring attitude on this was unbelievable.

Many of us have driven up to 9 hours and were tried, so a good night sleep would have been nice. That was impossible with the hotels techno bar that was blasting music until after 4 in the morning.

Breakfast the first morning was another disaster; there was not enough tables or chairs for all the guest in the hotel and the food was not being replaced, so platters stayed empty, no hot water for the “high quality” instant coffee. The dirty dishes were never cleaned up as people left.. I and others had to clear the tables to sit. I piled up some dishes on the floor. There was no staff to be found that morning. We were not the only guests there that morning, and they were also complaining. Went to the desk to ask for service, no one ever showed up.

Saturday there was no staff to be found most, our rooms were not made up at all, beds not made and no clean towels. Again they market themselves as a full service hotel.

Were told that their would be no bar service Saturday because of the weddings. After a day of shopping and being at the festival all day, wanted to relax in the garden, but that didn’t last long. There were 2 weddings at the hotel that were taking photos in the garden.

That evening we could not have dinner in the hotel due to wedding receptions.
So when we arrived back from dinner, we bought beer in town and went to the outside area where the tables with umbrellas were. There was no one sitting in this area. We were approached by staff telling us that we could not sit out there and had to leave. Because it was part of the nightclub, and we told them we were guest in the hotel, they once again told us to get out.

So we all went back to our rooms and tried to get some sleep for our long drive back home. That did not happen, with 2 wedding receptions and the nightclub blasting music once again till after 4 am. This night there were 3 sources of music all trying to out do each other, it was getting louder and louder. The music from the weddings and bar had our room vibrating all night. So another night with no sleep.

The next morning the breakfast had once again very limited food, mostly left over stale bread from the weeding parties but there was some instant coffee.

The hotel only was catering to the Wedding party’. It was very clear that they did not want to deal with us. The gay techno bar and there guest are also who they cater to. They should no longer be in the Hotel Business any longer, because they do not care about your hotel guest at all.

Just run from this please, do not stay here. When we all complained at check out the staff did not care.. All they wanted was money.

Beware I’m sure they will change their name over and over to hide there horrible reputation.

We emailed the hotel after our bad stay and never got a reply.

• Stayed August 2009

Been to Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!