“Avoid!!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #142 of 248 Hotels in Krakow
Groningen, The Netherlands
“Avoid!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

Let me start with the positive news: it's a nice 5 min walk to the Old City and it's near the train station.

And the latter is also the first of the negative aspects. We probably had bad luck in getting a room on the 1st floor right next to the tracks, but I suspect the noise and vibrations of the trains are noticeable everywhere in the hotel. Moreover, the room was tiny tiny, the bed was very small, and the sheets even smaller. On top of this, the male receptionist was totally unfriendly.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Polish first
Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

The hotel staff was fantastic. Very kind and welcoming. They didn't mind me practicing my monosyllabic Polish vocabulary. The free internet access was very much appreciated (though you need a cable - there's no wifi). Also, in most Polish hotels, I appreciate the water cooler for unlimited hydration. Wish we had that everywhere in Europe! Advice: don't stay in room 30 in the winter. The price was very good for a hotel that's a 3mn walk from the main central train station, but NB: it's right by the tram tracks, so you'll hear a bit of rumbling late into the night and early in the morning (I was on the 3rd floor). Moreover, there was probably a plumbing backup (in the hotel? in the building complex? it's hard to say) so the bathroom smelled, well, pretty crappy. Now, I've had that problem here in Paris in my own apartment and it's impossible to fix, so if you experience this problem, try changing rooms. Moreover, I couldn't find a heating system, so my room got pretty cold that night (in February temps can dip to -15C outside).

Room Tip: Advice: don't stay in room 30 in the winter. The price was very good for a hotel that's a 3m...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I have recently stayed at this hotel for one night. Overall, I was happy with the hotel- the location, breakfast and the room.

The hotel was in a great location, a short walk from the station and town centre. The room was clean and though the room backed onto the railway, the noise did not bother us.

On our arrival we booked a trip to Auschwitz for the following day. Later on the same day we confirmed the booking again with the receptionist, who assured us everything was booked. The next day we checked out and waited to be collected for our trip from reception. It transpired that the receptionist the previous day had not booked us onto the trip. When we asked the receptionist on duty to help us book a new trip he was extremely unhelpful. He did not want to call other tour companies as "it is not the company we use". I understand that the first receptionist may have forgotten to book the trip however the situation could have been resolved had the on duty receptionist actually taken some interest in helping to rectify his colleagues error.

The customer service was very poor therefore had it not been for this I would have rated the hotel higher.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

I stayed here for three nights. Customer service is spot on, hotel rooms were very clean and tidy and the hotel was literally a ten minute walk through the park from the main square. The only problem I had as noted by previous reviews is the train track. I was on the 4th floor at the back and my head must of been around four metres metres from the track sooo noisy but the fact the hotel was great and local equalled it out. The trains seem to quieten around 1am but then start again around 6am :/ apart from this no problems. Would stay here again but would ask for a front of building room.

• Stayed June 2013
hertfordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Me and my 2 girlfriends stayed here in feb. TWe had booked 2 rooms but we all wanted to stay together so asked for a room with 3 beds in, they did this with no problems!! Perfect little room. Heard the trains but it wasnt a big deal. Was close tot the old town, and the reception staff were so helpful in helping us book trips to aushwitz and to the salt mines (which are both recommended highly!!) In feb is was so cold so remeber your thermals!! So so cheap everywhere we ate! So much choice! Definatly go to Raspberry grandma's for AMAZING food and drinks! Best restaurant! krakow is beautiful! I would recommend you staying at this hotel, the breakfast is decent aswell!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
edinburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

It's in a great location for the Old Town also the train and bus station if you require it. We had asked for an early booking in and this was enabled without a problem. Staff are friendly.
Yes there is an issue with the trains if you have a room at the back but I managed to sleep OK without the ear plugs I had taken as a precaution!
Breakfast is more than adequate and for a small charge I noticed you can make a sandwich to take away. There are water coolers available on each floor. If you want a kettle you ask at reception as although there are tea/coffee satchets the kettle's aren't provided.
Highly recommend a trip to Auschwitz, an overwhelming experience

Room Tip: I expect the front rooms would be quieter!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sunderland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Great location, right near station and shops. Main square is a short walk. Rooms were nice and warm as it was snowing outside whilst we were here. The food for the breakfasts was of a good standard and plenty choice. The wifi in the hotel is free which we used to find restaurants for our evening meals.
Visit austwitch whilst here. Use an organised tour as you get the commentary whilst walking round.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends